- Published: May 5, 2022
- 6 min. read
Abby FieldsBranded Content Specialist
- Abby is a data-driven content marketer with certifications in inbound marketing and content marketing. She’s written hundreds of articles covering digital marketing topics — a few of her specialties include first-party data, marketing and data analytics, marketing strategy optimization, and SEO. When she isn’t writing or optimizing content, Abby loves to spend time reading the latest mystery novel, having movie marathons with lots of snacks, and jamming out to Shania Twain.
What is SQL
SQL, or Structured Query Language, is a powerful tool used to manage and retrieve data from databases, making it essential for organizing and analyzing information effectively.
SQL stands for Structured Query Language and helps companies access and manipulate data. You might have thought that SQL was only for advanced data analysts or that it could never apply to you as a marketer.
Well, SQL is an essential component of data-driven marketing and anyone can use it! On this page, we’ll explain the ins and outs of SQL so you can learn the basics to start making smarter, revenue-driving marketing decisions.
Here’s a quick overview of the topics we’ll cover below:
So, keep reading to become an SQL pro!
Bonus: Don’t miss out on more SQL and digital marketing advice from our award-winning agency! Sign up for our newsletter, Revenue Weekly, to get the latest tips to help you drive more revenue for your business sent straight to your inbox for free!
What is SQL?
SQL stands for Structured Query Language. It’s is a computing language that communicates with databases. You can use the language of SQL when you want to pull, edit, or add information to your database.
What is SQL used for?
So, what is SQL used for? As we mentioned above, SQL is a language used to communicate with databases. You’ll use SQL to perform specific tasks in your database.
For example, the language of SQL can enable you to update or retrieve data, like the phone numbers of your leads.
How does SQL work?
So, how does SQL work? To understand how SQL works, you must understand databases. A database stores critical information about your business and customers.
For example, it can store information about how many users visit your website each day, how many sales you’ve made in the past week, or the contact details of your leads.
If your company stores a substantial amount of data, it could take hours for you to sift through the information stored in your database to find what you need. That’s where SQL can help.
Let’s say you want to pull the email addresses of your leads that signed up for your newsletter. You can enter an SQL command or query to quickly retrieve the information from your database, so you don’t have to manually search for it.
You can also use the language of SQL to add data. For example, you can enter an SQL query to add prospects’ phone numbers that signed up for a free demo.
Why is SQL important?
So, why do you need SQL? SQL is extremely important to help your business grow and drive revenue. Check out some key benefits of using SQL below:
- Power your marketing strategies with data: SQL helps you add and retrieve essential data and information about your customers, leads, marketing campaigns, and more. You can then use these insights to inform your strategies and make improvements to drive better results for your business.
- Save time and resources: Without SQL, you would spend countless hours manually sifting through large amounts of data to find what you need. With SQL, you can type in a command and retrieve the data you need in a few seconds. As a result, you can save yourself and your team valuable time and resources.
- Earn a higher return on investment (ROI): SQL enables you to save time and resources. In addition, it can help you implement data-driven strategies that drive more revenue for your business. That means you can earn a higher ROI for your marketing efforts in the long run.
Data is an essential component of any successful marketing strategy. If you want to ensure that your marketing campaigns drive the best results for your business, using SQL to manage your data is essential.
Common SQL queries
Now that you know what SQL is and why it’s important, you might be wondering how to start. If you want to use SQL effectively, start with SQL queries.
SQL queries are the commands you type into your database to retrieve or add specific data. Let’s go over some of the most common SQL queries below:
“SELECT” is a command that enables you to pull a specific piece of information from your database. For example, if you want to retrieve the names of people who signed up for your newsletter, you will use the “SELECT name” command.
“FROM” is an SQL command that you can use to pinpoint the table you want to use to retrieve data. Using the above example of pulling the names of people who signed up for your newsletter, you can use the command “FROM newsletter.”
The “DELETE” SQL query lets you delete a specific set of data or tables. For example, if you want to delete your newsletter table, you can use the “DELETE newsletter” command.
“WHERE” is a command that helps you filter a query to be more specific. Let’s say you want to only retrieve the names of people located in Florida who signed up for your newsletter. You can then use the “WHERE state = ‘Florida’” command.
The “BETWEEN” command enables you to view data between two specific values. For example, if you want to view how many people signed up for your newsletter in the year 2015, you can use the query “BETWEEN ‘2015-01-01’ AND ‘2015-12-31’”.
What is SQL? Let’s recap
That was a lot of information we went over! Let’s go over a quick recap of everything you just learned:
- SQL stands for Structured Query Language
- SQL is a language you can use to communicate with databases
- With SQL, you can retrieve, add, or edit data within a database quickly and easily
- SQL helps you save lots of valuable time and resources to earn a higher ROI for your business
- With SQL, you can manage and analyze large quantities of data to inform and optimize your marketing strategies to drive better results
Do you want to learn even more about SQL? Check out the free SQL tutorial below!
Our digital marketing campaigns impact the metrics that improve your bottom line.See More Results
WebFX has driven the following results for clients:
In client revenue
Leads for our clients
Client phone calls
Master SQL with WebFX
Are you finding it tricky to wrap your head around SQL? Don’t have enough time to use SQL to make data-driven marketing decisions for your business? WebFX can help!
WebFX is an industry-leading digital marketing agency specializing in using data to help businesses like yours drive more revenue. We offer entirely “done-for-you” services so you can focus on your other business tasks.
Plus, your dedicated account manager will always be on hand to give you frequent updates and reports, so you always stay in the loop when it comes to the success of your marketing campaigns.
Abby is a data-driven content marketer with certifications in inbound marketing and content marketing. She’s written hundreds of articles covering digital marketing topics — a few of her specialties include first-party data, marketing and data analytics, marketing strategy optimization, and SEO. When she isn’t writing or optimizing content, Abby loves to spend time reading the latest mystery novel, having movie marathons with lots of snacks, and jamming out to Shania Twain.
WebFX is a full-service marketing agency with 1000+ client reviews and a 4.9-star rating on Clutch! Find out how our expert team and revenue-accelerating tech can drive results for you! Learn more