- Published: May 8, 2023
- Last Updated: Sep 25, 2023
- 7 min. read
Abbey StephanLead Editor
- Abbey is a digital marketer, copywriter, and lead editor. She has worked on over 200 client campaigns and WebFX, and she specializes in marketing strategy analysis and industry-specific digital marketing plans. Outside of writing and editing, you’ll likely find her taking pictures of her cat, making a new playlist, or tending to her houseplants.
Social media has become a mainstream practice for businesses in all industries. However, did you know that you can use social media to generate leads for your company?
Lead generation on social media involves finding people most in need of your services and encouraging them to convert. Regardless of your platform or previous experience, you can incorporate social media to help you grow your client base and earn more revenue.
This page will break down how to generate leads on social media, why it matters, and platform-specific tips. Read on to get started, or call 888-601-5359 to discuss creating your social media strategy with a strategist!
Don’t miss our Marketing Manager Insider emails!
Join 200,000 smart marketers and get the month’s hottest marketing news and insights delivered straight to your inbox!
Enter your email below:
Inline Subscription Form – CTA 72
“*” indicates required fields
(Don’t worry, we’ll never share your information!)
Social media lead generation 101
Before we cover how to generate leads on social media, let’s go over the basics of social media for lead generation.
What is lead generation on social media?
Lead generation on social media is the process of using social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc.) to find people interested in your service, connect with them, and turn them into paying customers.
Many companies have some form of lead generation, whether cold calling potential clients or connecting through their website. Social media lead generation helps you focus your approach while connecting with your audience.
Why use social media for lead generation?
There are over 5 billion active social media users. Since businesses and individuals use social media, you could miss out on your audience if you don’t use this tactic.
Some major points of using social media for lead generation include:
- Boosted engagement: With social media, you can encourage people to like, click, and follow your account much more easily. The platforms offer themselves to engagement, which lets you connect with your audience.
- More website traffic: As more people discover your brand through social media, you can encourage them to visit your website without having to exit the platform. Include links in your posts and your bio for easy access.
- Better brand recognition: More people will find your company as they see your posts on social media. Even if they don’t convert immediately, they will remember your company when they need your products or services.
- Enhanced customer service: About 67% of people use social media for customer service. With your social media accounts, you can answer questions and communicate with your customers to give them a positive impression of your brand.
Along with these benefits, you can enjoy more revenue overall as you capture more leads and turn them into customers.
What to look for in social media leads
What you want out of your social media leads will vary depending on your sales process, company, and goals. However, there are some clear signs that you can look for. Your ideal lead should:
- Fit your target audience
- Connect with your company over services
- Align with your sales process
Only some leads will convert, but you can focus your energy on those most likely to need your services to save time and energy.
How to generate leads on social media
Here’s a list of ways to generate leads with social media:
- Post content regularly
- Work with an influencer
- Optimize any landing pages
- Specify your approach to the platform
Let’s dive into each below.
1. Post content regularly
The key to capturing leads on social media is posting on a schedule. Your post schedule might look different depending on the platform, but in general, it’s best to stick to a schedule.
For example, you might post to Twitter once a day and spend an hour replying to tweets every other day. For LinkedIn, you might only update once a week. Either way, your audience will know what to expect from your account on each platform.
This post covers when and what to post on social media. You can use that page as a guide when creating your schedule.
2. Work with an influencer
Social media influencers can help you reach a more specific audience in an approachable way. Brands work with influencers all the time to show audiences how people (or other businesses) can use their products and services.
If you work in the home repair or maintenance industry, you could find a DIY-savvy influencer to share your work with their following. Or, if you have a restaurant, send some of your classic dishes for them to show off.
Here is an example of a makeup company sharing looks from someone they have partnered with:
Influencers will help customers see your brand in a new light. You can also offer discounts and deals through your influencer partner, which encourages customers to reach out!
3. Optimize any landing pages
Your landing pages are where users land after they click on a link to your website. Optimizing your landing pages ensures that when users come to your site for more information, they are encouraged to stay, look around, and even convert.
For example, this stained-glass company’s landing page goes to their website’s home, where you can find links to shop easily:
If people land on your website and don’t know where to look next, they will bounce and not return. Encourage them to stay and browse your products and services after you’ve enticed them with a social post.
4. Specify your approach to the platform
Your lead generation tactics will vary depending on the platform that you use. Below are tips that you can use to attract more leads by channel:
- Leverage Twitter Spaces. This is where users can hop in and chat about a pre-selected topic. You can connect with your followers in a new way!
- Create short, snappy content. Tweets should be short, sweet, and to the point.
- Use threads for longer concepts. If you have more to say, keep your tweets connected through a thread.
- Make content sharable. When you spend time creating content, you want people to share it with their followers and friends!
- Update your information regularly. Treat your profile like a storefront for your business. Include your hours, location, website, and anything else that a customer needs to know.
- Use live video. Facebook lets you go live within the platform. Schedule some time to host a live stream and encourage people to check it out ahead of time!
- Use Stories. Instagram Stories let you add links within the post, so users can swipe up to your site much easier. You can also run ads as Instagram stories.
- Upload reels. Reels are longer, vertical videos. If you create more long-form video content, configure it, and upload it as a reel.
- Engage with trends. Check out the trending sounds, filters, and hashtags to see what people are posting about. Also, you can cater your TikTok to a certain demographic by finding that niche and interacting with it.
- Create versatile content. While trends are important, that doesn’t have to be all you post. You can get creative with your TikTok content to represent your brand while sticking with what’s popular.
Growing your social presence with WebFX is a walk in the park.
“WebFX allows growing your social media platforms to be stress-free! They are knowledgeable and adapt to your company needs!”Learn More About Our Social Media Services
Ready to generate leads with social media?
Now that you have the basics for how to generate leads on social media, you can start planning your next steps. If you want to make sure that you use your social media to draw in the most leads, consider working with a social media agency like WebFX.
WebFX has 25 years of experience helping companies create digital marketing strategies that impact their business. In fact, we have helped generate $6,021,182,299+ in revenue and 7,839,684 leads for our clients.
With WebFX, you can optimize your lead generation strategy while maintaining your workflow and budget. Want to learn more? Request a quote today to see what our services will look like for you!
Abbey is a digital marketer, copywriter, and lead editor. She has worked on over 200 client campaigns and WebFX, and she specializes in marketing strategy analysis and industry-specific digital marketing plans. Outside of writing and editing, you’ll likely find her taking pictures of her cat, making a new playlist, or tending to her houseplants.
WebFX is a full-service marketing agency with 1000+ client reviews and a 4.9-star rating on Clutch! Find out how our expert team and revenue-accelerating tech can drive results for you! Learn more