William CraigCEO & Co-Founder
- 5 minute read
- President of WebFX. Bill has over 25 years of experience in the Internet marketing industry specializing in SEO, UX, information architecture, marketing automation and more. William’s background in scientific computing and education from Shippensburg and MIT provided the foundation for MarketingCloudFX and other key research and development projects at WebFX.
User interface design patterns are solutions to common design challenges, such as navigating around an app, listing data or providing feedback to users. Mobile apps and sites have unique UI design requirements because, compared to their desktop counterparts, they’re used in smaller screens and, at least with today’s modern mobile devices, rely on fingers instead of a keyboard and mouse as input mechanisms. Whether you’re designing a mobile app UI for the first time or in need of specific design solutions, these mobile UI design pattern resources will surely help!
1. Mobile UI Patterns
Mobile UI Patterns is a great site to visit to see common mobile UI design patterns such as activity feeds and notifications. The patterns are organized into 20 categories so that you can easily find what you’re looking for.
2. Inspired UI
3. lovely ui
This site features common mobile app user interface elements such as buttons, lists and popovers. lovely ui was created by NYC-based interactive designer Diana Frurip.
4. Mobile Design Pattern Gallery
Over 30 mobile UI design patterns (e.g. splashscreens and walkthroughs) are featured on pttrns, a gallery site with large screenshots and a clean interface. The site is by Robin Raszka (founder of popular iOS development firm Tapmates) and chemiX.
6. Patterns of Design
7. 4ourth Mobile Design Pattern Library
This wiki resource is a general reference guide to mobile UI design patterns. It discusses a wide array of design patterns such as slideshows and pagination, to advertising within your mobile app.
8. Android UI Design Patterns
This blog by German technologist/developer/Android user Juhani Lehtimaki publishes posts that cover Android UI design patterns. In each post, a design pattern is discussed and relevant screenshots from mobile apps are included.
9. android pttrns
android pttrns, inspired by pttrns (featured above), is a gallery of Android app UI design patterns. It currently only has a few patterns, such as action bar and tab bar.
10. Official Developer Documentation of Mobile Operating Systems
Mobile OS manufacturers typically have official docs geared for professionals developing for their platform. These docs often include guides on UI design patterns.
- For Android, check out Android Design’s Pattern section.
- For iOS app designers, see iOS Human Interface Guidelines in the iOS Developer Library.
- Designing for Nokia phones? Head over to Nokia Wiki’s Mobile Design Patterns.
Website design is the backbone of a website and ultimately can play a huge role in your internet marketing efforts. WebFX in Harrisburg, PA is your full-service web development company. They provide services from start to finish to ensure your business’ web presence is a good one.
We have experience working with a number of businesses in a wide variety of industries. Check out our work with hotels here!
- Mobile Web Design: Best Practices
- Building Mobile Web Apps the Right Way: Tips and Techniques
- A Quick Look at Mobile Web Designs
- Related categories: User Interface and Design Inspiration/Showcase
President of WebFX. Bill has over 25 years of experience in the Internet marketing industry specializing in SEO, UX, information architecture, marketing automation and more. William’s background in scientific computing and education from Shippensburg and MIT provided the foundation for MarketingCloudFX and other key research and development projects at WebFX.
WebFX provides digital marketing solutions with expert marketers, designers, and developers to increase visibility, conversions, and revenue. Learn more