“Why are you here?”
I was asked this question a couple of years ago. It is a question that is meant to have an easy answer and yet I found myself at a loss for words when I tried to answer it. The concept is simple enough.
However, as I started thinking about what the question actually meant and what it was actually asking, it started to take on a life of its own.
This article is part of Design Instruct Week, a weeklong celebration of our newly launched site, Design Instruct. This week on Six Revisions covers topics that deal with running websites and design, written by the founders/editors of Design Instruct and Six Revisions.
Be sure to check out the Design Instruct Week Twitter Giveaway, which gives out different prizes every day of Design Instruct Week.
Of course, “here” could be anywhere and it’s different for everyone. However, beyond that notion of location, we have to take into account that “here” also means being in the present; being in the ‘now’ which makes “here” not just a place on a map but also a place in time.
Knowing why we are “here” gives us the most concrete and basic thing we can know about ourselves, which is, that there’s a reason for us being where ever were are in our lives.
For artists and designers, knowing why we are “here” is especially important since it’s the kind of knowledge that can give purpose and meaning to our work.
For this piece, I asked previous contributors and friends of Six Revisions and Design Instruct to answer the question: “Why are you here?”
The writers could answer the question in anyway they like.
It could be several sentences long or it can be just a single word. Their answer could be funny and clever or inspiring and deeply profound.
Below, you’ll find some of the answers I got from this exercise along with a sampling of their favorite works.
Click on the image below to see the full size of the graphic.
Special thanks to:
- Francisco Inchauste of FINCH
- Shannon Noack of Snoack Studios
- Zena Santos
- Tyler Denis of Denis Designs
- Jacob Cass of Just Creative Design
- Jan Cavan of Dawghouse Design Studio
- Miguel Cardona of Dumbwaiter Design
- Matthew Heidenreich of Devise Function
- Richard Carpenter of HV-designs
How about you? What’s your story? Why are you here? Share with us in the comments section.
- 10 Web Browsers You Probably Haven’t Heard Of
- A Look into Registration Buttons in Web Design
- 8 Ways to Promote Your Work Through Internet Collaboration
- 30 Amazing Illustrations to Inspire
- Humor in Design
- Will This Be The New Google Web Design?
- 7 Deadly Sins Represented with Web Design Colors
- How Social Media Works and the Role of the Intelligent User
- The Crowdsourcing Quagmire
Resources by Industry
- Web Design for Excavation Companies: Top 5 Tips (With Examples!)
- 5 Web Design Tips for Fence Installers
- 5 Simple and Successful Web Design Tips for Auto Parts Retailers
- Tips for Medical Website Designs
- Medical Website Design from an Award Winning Agency
- Top 10 Effective Web Design Tips for Auto Service Centers
- Web Design for Renewable Energy: Tips for a Site That Shines
- Insurance Website Design Services
- 5 Web Design Tips for Fertility Clinics
How is your website’s SEO?
Use our free tool to get your score calculated in under 60 seconds.
Get posts by email
Join 200,000 marketing managers and subscribe to Revenue Weekly!
"*" indicates required fields
Join our mission to provide industry-leading digital marketing services to businesses around the globe - all while building your personal knowledge and growing as an individual.