Today’s consumers turn to the Internet for all of the information they need, from quick tutorials to in-depth guides on subjects they want to learn more about.
With a strong content marketing strategy, you can reach your target audience as they seek information and show them that you’re a leader in your industry.
If you want to learn more about content marketing, you’re in the right place. On this page, you’ll get an introduction to content marketing and links to free content marketing resources so you can learn more about the topics that interest you most.
What is content marketing?
Content marketing is a marketing strategy centered around creating content that is valuable to users who may eventually become your customers.
When you use this marketing method, your goal is to become a trustworthy resource that users can go to find answers to their questions. If the content you create proves to be helpful to users, you’ll see more traffic on our site and, eventually, more leads and customers.
Why use content marketing?
Simply put, to grow your business! Content marketing is crucial to growing your business in today’s Internet-focused age. Having a content marketing strategy allows you to:
- Reach your target audience
- Increase brand awareness
- Convert interested site visitors into customers
Learn more about the basics of content marketing
Content marketing basics resources
Content marketing benefits resources
How to create a content marketing strategy
Want to create your own content marketing strategy? Follow these steps to get started:
Define your target audience
Determine who your target audience is by defining your audience’s attributes. Note information like:
- Socioeconomic status
- Buying habits
- And more
Remember, the more you know your audience, the more personalized content you can create for them.
Consider the buyer’s journey
The buyer’s journey encompasses the stages your audience goes through that lead to them making a purchase. The three main steps of the buyer’s journey are:
- Awareness: During this stage, the person is just discovering they have a problem or need. As a result, they begin to research information or solutions.
- Consideration: At this stage, the person considers their options and is trying to figure out which option will best fit their needs.
- Decision: At this stage, the person chooses the company they think will best meet their need.
Brainstorm content topics
When generating ideas for content, remember to:
- Keep your target audience in mind and think of topics that would interest them
- Stick to subjects that relate to your industry
Focus on content quality over quantity
It’s not about the quantity of content you create but rather the quality. Creating high-quality content will provide more value to readers, improve your brand’s reputation, and drive better results for your content marketing strategy.
Publish content frequently
You need to post content frequently to help users discover your business, drive traffic to your site, and keep up with competitors.
Ensure your site is user-friendly
Before posting content on your site, ensure it’s user-friendly. If users can’t find the information they are looking for quickly, they will leave your site. You can optimize your site by:
- Improving your page speed
- Making your site mobile-friendly
- Using high-quality video
- Ensuring your design includes white space
- Breaking up text into smaller paragraphs
- Using color wisely
- Writing for humans, not search engines
Types of content
Here’s a list of the most common types of content you can create for your business:
Blogs are short, written content pieces that are usually about 1200 to 1500 words long and hosted on your website. Users can discover your blog posts via search engines, and you can also share your posts via channels like social media and email newsletters.
Videos are excellent for grabbing users’ attention and providing information in a quick, easy-to-digest format. You can host videos on sites like YouTube and embed them on your website.
Considering creating video content? You can engage your audience by making different types of videos, such as:
- Behind-the-scenes videos
- Explainer videos
- Animated videos
- Interview / Q&A videos
Infographics present information using visual elements such as charts and graphics. They enable you to explain concepts in a visually appealing way that makes them easier to understand quickly. Infographics are also easily sharable, helping you to reach more people.
Guides provide users with detailed instructions that educate them and enable them to take action.
Typically, guides are long pieces that may contain diagrams, illustrations, or additional related resources. When you create a guide, you are letting readers know you have a lot of knowledge in the subject area, which could convince readers to use your services.
More content marketing tips and ideas
Want more content marketing tips and ideas? Explore these free content marketing resources.
Content marketing strategy resources
Content marketing tips
- 10 of the Most Important Content Marketing Tips
- 5 Ways to Make Your Content Marketing More Effective
- How to Do a Content Marketing Audit
- 15+ Content Marketing Trends
- Discover the Best Content Marketing Strategies
- 4 Ways to Find Great Content Marketing Ideas
- How to Use Content Marketing to Increase Brand Awareness
- 3 Tips for Creating Valuable Content in the Content Marketing Funnel
- 5+ Digital Content Marketing Tips for Nailing Your Strategy
- What Is Good, Unique Content?
- How to Promote Your Site Content
- How to Create Content for the Sales Funnel & Leads
- How the Buyer’s Journey Affects Your Content Marketing
- Elements Of High-Quality Content
- Content Marketing Checklist: Your Go-To Checklist for Content
- 13 Types of Creative Content Marketing and Why They Work
- How to Use Your Company Blog for Content Marketing
- Video for Content Marketing: Impressive Stats and How to Get Results
- How to Use Images and Videos for Content Marketing
Content marketing resources by industry
- 3 Effective Ways to Use Content Marketing for Ecommerce
- Healthcare Content Marketing: Tips, Benefits, & FAQs
- Content Marketing for Physicians
- Content Marketing for Banks: 5 Examples Your Bank Can Use
- 4 Major Benefits of Content Marketing for Contractors
- Content Marketing for Therapists
- 4 Content Marketing Tips for Tech Companies
- Content Marketing Tips for Real Estate
- 3 Content Marketing Ideas for Retail Stores
- 3-Step Content Marketing Strategy for Franchises
- Content Marketing Strategies for Home Services Companies
- 3 Reasons Content Marketing Will Benefit Your Hotels
- Higher Education Content Marketing: 5 Tips for Creating Content
- Content Marketing for Jewelers: Everything You Need to Know
- How Accountants Can Benefit From Content Marketing
How to measure content marketing results
Measuring the results of your content marketing is crucial to ensuring you get the most out of your efforts. Tracking results allows you to see what’s working and what isn’t so that you can improve your strategies.
In addition to tracking your return on investment (ROI), you’ll want to track various metrics that relate to the specific goals of your content marketing campaigns:
A few examples of goals and metrics to track from them include:
Goal 1: Brand awareness
If your main goal is to increase the number of people who know about your brand and understand how it’s defined, you’ll want to track metrics like:
- Website traffic
- Page views
- Video views
- Unique visitors
Goal 2: Engagement
If you want to increase the number of users who interact with your brand online, such as on social media, track metrics such as:
Goal 3: Lead generation
Another common goal is to generate leads — users who express interest in your business and are likely to become customers. Metrics to track for this objective include:
- Form completion
- Content downloads
- Email subscribers
- Blog subscribers
Goal 4: Sales
If the main goal of a campaign is to directly increase sales, track metrics like:
Measuring the metrics that affect your bottom line.
Are you interested in custom reporting that is specific to your unique business needs? Powered by MarketingCloudFX, WebFX creates custom reports based on the metrics that matter most to your company.
Learn more about measuring content marketing results
Content marketing analytics resources
How content marketing works with other digital marketing methods
How does content marketing fit into your overall digital marketing strategy? It works incredibly well with various other marketing methods, and using content marketing together with other strategies can improve your marketing’s overall effectiveness.
To learn more about how content marketing works with other digital marketing methods and fits into an overall marketing strategy, take a look at these content marketing resources.
- 7 Reasons Content Is Essential to Digital Marketing
- How Do Content Marketing and Social Media Work Together?
- What’s the Difference Between Content Marketing and SEO?
- Content Marketing vs. Inbound Marketing
- How to Use Email Marketing to Improve Content Marketing
- Content Marketing vs. Social Media Marketing: Which is More Effective?
- Is Content Marketing or Advertising More Effective?
- How Can Content Marketing Improve Your SEO?
- How Web Design Impacts Content Marketing
- Content Marketing for Lead Generation
- How to Use Social Media for Content Marketing
- Top 5 Ways to Use LinkedIn for Content Marketing
Outsourcing content marketing
One of the best ways to get the most value from your content marketing is to partner with a professional content marketing agency.
Content marketing agencies have extensive knowledge, experienced teams, and advanced tools they can use to create and implement your content marketing strategy.
Because of these advantages, content marketing companies can:
- Get optimal results quickly
- Improve your ROI
- Save you time so you can focus on other areas of your business
What services do content marketing agencies offer?
Most content marketing agencies provide a wide variety of services spanning the entire content marketing process. Agencies can:
- Develop a content strategy
- Create and optimize content
- Promote and distribute content
- Measure content performance
- Use data to improve strategies
The best content marketing agencies create custom plans that meet your business’s unique needs because they understand that no two companies are alike. To develop these custom strategies, they take the time to get to know your business and your goals.
A good content marketing agency will focus on driving meaningful results for your business rather than just producing content. They’ll align their strategies with your objectives and continually refine your campaigns to improve their results.
Learn more about outsourcing content marketing
Content marketing agency resources
Content marketing pricing resources
Our content marketing services
- Content Marketing Services | SEO Content Creation & Promotion
- Content Creation Services | 65+ Content Types Offered
- Infographic Design Services: Your All-In-One Solution
- Custom Video Production From WebFX
- Explainer Video Services From WebFX
- Professional Blog Writing Services
- Professional Website Copywriter Services
- Stunning Motion Graphics Design From WebFX
- Expert Copywriting Services For Revenue-Driving Web Copy
- AI SEO Content Writing Services | Content That Ranks
- Personalized Web Content Services for Your Site
- Middle of the Funnel (MOFU) & Bottom of the Funnel (BOFU) Content
Additional channels and strategies
Discover additional digital marketing strategies that your business can use to increase its online visibility, plus drive leads and revenue.
Learn more about content marketing
Want to learn more about content marketing? Join more than 200,000 smart marketers in subscribing to our email newsletters for the latest tips and advice!