The amount of data that is transmitted in a single second online is simply staggering. Currently, 24,000 gigabytes are uploaded to the Internet each and every second. However, according to a report from Cisco, we could expect to see this number climb higher very soon.
By 2016, the amount of monthly Internet data is forecasted to reach 91 exabytes (or 100 billion gigabytes). Wow.
At WebFX, we’re fascinated with the Internet and everything in it. That’s why we decided to put together an infographic showing what happens each second on some of your favorite services, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pandora, reddit, and Yelp.
Click here to watch the Internet in real time now! In a single second, the Internet sees the following:
- More than 54,000 Facebook posts
- More than 5,700 tweets
- Almost 29,000 Instagram likes
- 253 upvotes or downvotes on reddit
- 900 new tumblr posts or reblogs
- Upwards of 7,000 swipes on Tinder
And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. In fact, our research found that for every second that passes, popular music service Pandora streams 532 hours worth of music, and Netflix streams 656 hours worth of video. Thanks to this research, a little programming, and a lot of math, we’ve put together a way for you to watch the Internet happen in real time.
In our newest infographic — an interactive piece — you can see the current number of estimated social media posts, media streams, and other online events as they happen around you. The counters will start the moment you open the page, and will accumulate in real time until you close your browser.
Ready to watch the Internet happen in real time?
Click here to see the infographic now.
Have a suggestion for another service or online event you’d like to see us report in real-time? Are you as blown away by seeing these numbers as we were?
We’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!
- Interview: Brian Tracy, Author
- What is the Real Cost of Computer Viruses? [Infographic]
- How to Start Selling Online in an Hour or Less
- Interview: Michael Brenner, NewsCred Head of Strategy
- Who Has the Fastest Internet in the World? [Infographic]
- Interview: Katie Burke, HubSpot Director of Talent and Culture
- What Should You Binge-Watch on Netflix? [Infographic]
- Verizon Now Owns TechCrunch, Engadget, Huffington Post and More
- How the Internet Changes Your Brain [Infographic]
How We Drive Revenue for Businesses
Marketing Tips for Niche Industries
- Successful Digital Marketing for Auto Manufacturing Companies
- 7 Key Digital Marketing Ideas for Doctors
- Learn 5 Ways to Drive Revenue with Digital Marketing for Excavators
- 3 Most Common Mistakes in Medical Marketing
- Digital Marketing for Financial Insurance
- Top 3 Digital Marketing Methods for Fence Installers
- How to Get Patients: 5+ Ways to Attract More Patients to Your Practice
- Grow Your Practice with Our Medical Marketing Company
- 4 Digital Marketing Strategies for Apartment Managers
How is your website’s SEO?
Use our free tool to get your score calculated in under 60 seconds.
Get posts by email
Join 200,000 marketing managers and subscribe to Revenue Weekly!
"*" indicates required fields
Join our mission to provide industry-leading digital marketing services to businesses around the globe - all while building your personal knowledge and growing as an individual.