While true happiness may have a different definition to each of us, science can give us a glimpse at the underlying biological factors behind happiness. From the food we eat to room temperature, the science of happiness includes thousands of factors that play a role in how our brains work and the moods that we are in. Understanding these factors can be helpful in achieving lasting happiness.
Video: The science of happiness
In this video, we take a closer look at the science of your happiness.
How happy would you say you are?
If you feel less than stellar on a day-to-day basis I have good news for you! According to the science of happiness, there are a ton of things that influence your levels of happiness and positivity. In The Science of Happiness infographic from WebFX, you can learn about all of them.
Happiness is a hot topic at WebFX and we believe that establishing clear and inspirational company values helps fuel a positive and happy culture. You might not be able to directly control all of these factors, but by being aware of them all you can engage in activities that will boost your happiness meter.
What you can do to be happier
Did you know that spending 20 minutes outside in good weather each day can improve your memory, broaden your thinking and help maintain a positive mood?
It can! Participating in activities like exercising is another way that you can boost your happiness. Walking for just 20 minutes releases endorphins and proteins that make your brain more active, keeping you happier.
Why not take a 20 minute walk on your lunch break? It’ll keep you feeling energized and positive throughout the day. In terms of brain chemistry, the neurotransmitters dopamine and serotonin play a large part in how happy, affectionate and positive you feel.
Eating foods like fish, bananas and poultry help boost your dopamine levels, while foods like turkey have been suggested to boost serotonin levels. Therefore, eating foods like these can help you improve and maintain happy feelings and a positive outlook.
How to avoid negative feelings
One of the best ways to keep a bad mood at bay is to get your 8 hours of sleep each night.
Studies show that sleep-deprived people have a harder time remembering positive ideas and, instead, focus on the negative. By keeping your mind and body well-rested you’ll help the positive ideas flow and keep the negative ideas away. One final tip for staying happy: don’t isolate yourself.
We get so caught up in the business of our day-to-day schedules and routines that we often forget to make time for our neighbors and community members. Yet, research shows that two huge factors that contribute to happiness are a sense of community and frequent celebrations with that community. Don’t be afraid to reach out to your neighbors and peers.
Not only will communal bonds make you feel happier, they’ll make your neighbors feel happier too!
Table of Contents
- 3 Ways To Become A Successful Online Marketer
- How to Get in the Zone at Work
- 4 Easy Steps to Know Your Client
- What Most Clients Don’t Know But Won’t Ask
- Why Employment Is Just Like Dating
- Actionable Insights from Interviewing 18 CEOs, Managers, and Entrepreneurs
- 7 Skills Every Internet Marketer Should Have
- 5 Marketing Influencers on Twitter and What They Teach Us
- 7 Factors of Great Marketing Teams
Resources by Industry
- Successful Digital Marketing For Auto Manufacturing Companies
- 7 Key Digital Marketing Ideas For Doctors
- Learn 5 Ways to Drive Revenue With Digital Marketing for Excavators
- 3 Most Common Mistakes in Medical Marketing
- Digital Marketing for Financial Insurance
- Top 3 Digital Marketing Methods for Fence Installers
- How to Get Patients: 5+ Ways to Attract More Patients to Your Practice
- Grow Your Practice With Our Medical Marketing Company
- 4 Digital Marketing Strategies for Apartment Managers
How is your website’s SEO?
Use our free tool to get your score calculated in under 60 seconds.
Get posts by email
Join 200,000 marketing managers and subscribe to Revenue Weekly!
"*" indicates required fields
Join our mission to provide industry-leading digital marketing services to businesses around the globe - all while building your personal knowledge and growing as an individual.