- Published: Feb 4, 2014
- Last Updated: Mar 1, 2023
- 3 min. read
Trevin ShireyVP of Marketing
- Trevin serves as the VP of Marketing at WebFX. He has worked on over 450 marketing campaigns and has been building websites for over 25 years. His work has been featured by Search Engine Land, USA Today, Fast Company and Inc.
It’s these shared traits that make designers excellent entrepreneurs. Here are some well-known Internet startups founded or co-founded by designers. Click on the designers’ names to go to their Twitter profiles.
Airbnb – Joe Gebbia
Square – Jack Dorsey
Jack Dorsey is a designer and entrepreneur.
Pinterest – Evan Sharp
While still in school, Evan Sharp, who has a background in UI design and architecture, founded Pinterest with two friends as a fun side project in 2009. He later left Facebook to lead the design and front-end engineering of Pinterest full-time.
Typekit – Jeffrey Veen
Path – Dustin Mierau
Dustin Mierau is the co-founder and Chief Designer at Path, a mobile-based journal and social network. Before Path, he co-founded Macster, which eventually became Napster for Mac.
Flickr – Stewart Butterfield
In March 2005, the company sold Flickr to Yahoo! for at least $30 million, according to reports. He’s now working on Slack, a team communication platform.
Wunderlist – Sebastian Scheerer
Sebastian Scheerer is a co-founder and Head User Interface Designer at 6Wunderkinder. Their most well-known product right now is Wunderlist.
Etsy – Rob Kalin
Kickstarter – Charles Adler
Charles Adler is a designer and entrepreneur. In 2007 he co-founded Kickstarter. On his site, Adler says that his team’s “collective goal with Kickstarter has been, and forever will be, to enable creatives to bring their works to those that matter.”
- Designers Make Great Entrepreneurs, They Just Don’t Know It Yet
- Why Aren’t There More Designer Founders?
- Designer Founders interviews
- A Designer’s Advice to Internet Entrepreneurs
- The Designer Fund – investors in design entrepreneurs
Trevin serves as the VP of Marketing at WebFX. He has worked on over 450 marketing campaigns and has been building websites for over 25 years. His work has been featured by Search Engine Land, USA Today, Fast Company and Inc.
WebFX is a full-service marketing agency with 1000+ client reviews and a 4.9-star rating on Clutch! Find out how our expert team and revenue-accelerating tech can drive results for you! Learn more