Did you know that content marketing generates three times more leads than traditional marketing? Content marketing is an extremely effective method for helping your business obtain new leads. When you use the content marketing funnel, you can produce relevant content at the right time to get your audience to become conversions for your business.
In this post, we’ll discuss the content marketing funnel and how to create impactful content that drives results. Let’s get started!
What is the content marketing funnel?
The content marketing funnel is a system that takes leads through a step-by-step content flow.
With this funnel, the goal is to get these leads to buy your products or use your services. When you use the content marketing funnel, you move people down the funnel towards conversion. As people go further down the funnel, many of them will drop off.
Eventually, this results in having a few, high-quality leads at the bottom of the funnel that are ready to convert. There are four main parts to the content marketing funnel:
- Awareness: In the first stage, leads discover your brand and get familiar with it.
- Consideration: At this stage, users start looking at their available options. They will look at what you offer, as well as what your competition offers.
- Evaluation: After seeing all your options, users decide which product or service is right for their needs.
- Purchase: This is where your audience looks at the last bit of information before deciding to buy and becoming a customer.
Marketers can target each part of the funnel with content to ensure that they are guiding leads towards conversion.
Types of content for each content marketing funnel stage
Each stage of the content process gets categorized into a position on the funnel. These positions are the top of the funnel(TOFU), middle of the funnel(MOFU), and bottom of the funnel(BOFU).
Let’s look at the different types of content you can create at these stages in the content marketing funnel.
1. Awareness (TOFU)
At the awareness stage, you’re working to generate awareness for your brand among potential leads. This content falls at the top of the funnel because you’re just starting to help people get familiar with your business. You’ll have hundreds of users who find your company and want to see if you’re a good fit for them.
So, what type of content can you create at this stage?
- Blog posts: Blog posts are great for building brand awareness. You provide your audience with the information they need when searching. It gets them exposed to your brand and business.
- Webinars: Webinars are a great piece of content to build up your brand. You provide your audience with valuable information, and they learn about your business.
- Comprehensive guides: Guides are always a great piece of content to attract your audience. These guides contain tons of information that is great for exposing people to your brand.
- Videos: Videos are great for engaging your audience. You can create videos that are in your brand’s style to provide your audience with valuable information.
These types of content are meant to level up your audience’s knowledge and skills to make them more informed.
2. Evaluation and consideration (MOFU)
At the evaluation and consideration stage, you’re starting to show people what you offer. You can start highlighting your products and services to get them to choose your business over the competition. When you’re creating MOFU content, you want to speak directly to people and show them how your business can help them.
You’ll want to show how your business stands out from the competition too. Here are different types of content you’ll create for this part of the content marketing sales funnel:
- Case studies:Case studies provide your audience with valuable information that helps them get more informed. You can use case studies that reflect highly on your business.
- How-to articles: How-to articles are a great way to position your business as a solution. If you list how to do certain practices, people may realize after the fact that it’s too much work. Seeing that you can do it for them, it makes them more likely to choose your business.
- Demo videos:Demo videos are a great way to show off your products and services. You give your audience insight into what you offer, which helps them feel more comfortable about choosing your business.
3. Conversion (BOFU)
At the conversion stage, you’re putting in your last effort to convince your audience to choose your business. You’ll make your final pitch to get people to pull the trigger and convert. You’re providing your audience with information that will convince them to choose your business.
There are two main types of content you’ll see at this stage:
- Testimonials:If people are going to pick your business, they want to know that you have quality products or services. Videos of testimonials from your customers can be the content that convinces your audience to choose your business.
- Reviews: Reviews are crucial in convincing your audience to convert. By asking people for feedback, it makes great content for your page that can motivate your audience to convert.
Use testimonials and reviews to your advantage to convince consumers to choose you.
Learn how we increased traffic by over 40%, and conversions by over 100% for an ecommerce client.Read the Case Study
3 tips for using the content marketing funnel effectively
Now that you know the different types of content you can use for your business, it’s essential that you use it effectively. Here are three best practices for using the content marketing funnel effectively.
1. Think about your audience
Your audience is a critical component of your content marketing sales funnel. You’re trying to appeal to them to get them to move down through the funnel. If you want to use the funnel effectively, you must think about your audience.
First, consider the type of content that interests them the most. If you want readers to check out your content and engage with it, you need to make your content appealing to them. If you want to produce compelling content at each stage of the content marketing sales funnel, you must think about what your audience needs.
Ask yourself questions such as:
- What problems are they facing?
- What questions are they asking?
- How can you make their lives easier?
- What matters most to them?
When you think about these questions, you can create content that is better suited to your audience’s needs. You will create content that is effective at different parts of the content marketing funnel.
2. Research popular content
When you’re selecting keywords for your content and coming up with content ideas, it’s important to know what’s already out there. If you want to create effective marketing, look at content that covers the same topics you’re thinking about writing. These are your competitors.
Check out their content to see how they fulfill the user’s search query. See what they do effectively and where information could be added to create better content. When you research your competitor’s content, you can create content that is more effective for different parts of the content marketing funnel.
3. Make content interactive
If you want to create quality content, make it interactive for your audience. Give them a reason to interact with it. This is especially important for TOFU content because you need to catch your audience’s interest and lure them in.
Interactive content includes content like polls and slideshows. Your audience has to click on the content to engage with it, which gets them more involved with the content. It creates a memorable experience, which helps build brand recognition.
Interactive content is great for all stages of the content marketing funnel. The more people interact with your business, the more likely they will remember your company and choose you.
Creating better content for your business today
The content marketing funnel is an integral part of your marketing strategy.
When you know how to use a content marketing funnel, you can create content that helps you move your audience towards conversion. If you want to learn more about the content marketing sales funnel, plus get tips for improving your content marketing strategy, sign up for our newsletter to receive strategies, expert advice, and more in your inbox! WebFX is a content marketing company that can take your website to the next level!
Join our mission to provide industry-leading digital marketing services to businesses around the globe - all while building your personal knowledge and growing as an individual.