Marketing technology, more commonly referred to as martech, consists of a variety of software, systems, and solutions that improve marketing strategies through the use of technology. The use of martech has grown dramatically over the past decade and will likely continue to.
As the importance of marketing technology expands, it will be essential to keep up with trends in the industry. Luckily for you, we’ve compiled a list of the most important marketing technology statistics you should be aware of.
Martech Revenue Statistics
- Worldwide, the share of marketing budget allocated solely to martech is 26.6% (Source)
- The global market size of marketing automation is expected to grow to $25.1 billion by 2023 (Source)
- The martech industry is expected to grow 18% from 2020 to 2027 (Source)
- In 2020, it was calculated that businesses could gain up to $430 billion if they opted for data-driven solutions (Source)
Technology & AI Martech Stats
- Artificial intelligence, or AI, is the third biggest new marketing tactic being used in the United States (Source)
- In 2021, 84% of marketers said they used AI (Source)
- The number of marketing professionals using AI martech grew 186% from 2018 to 2021 (Source)
- Netflix used customer data collection to retain its more than 180 million subscribers and to save billions of dollars in customer retention (Source)
- Global market revenue of AI is expected to grow to $89.85 billion by 2025 (Source)
- The AI industry is expected to grow the global gross domestic product (GDP) of the energy, utilities, and mining industry by 5.5% in the next decade (Source)
- About 70% of sales-as-a-service (SaaS) and technology companies use integrated martech tools (Source)
- A 2021 survey of marketers found that email marketing is the most automated marketing channel, with 65% of respondents saying they automate their email marketing efforts. The same survey showed that 47% of marketers used automation in their social media marketing strategies (Source)
- An estimated 55% of sales data entry was replaced by automation technology in 2020 (Source)
Marketing Technology Solutions Statistics
- The number of martech solutions grew from 150 in 2011 to 9,500 in 2021 — a 6,000%+ increase (Source)
- A survey showed that 100% of teams in which marketing and sales work together do so through martech (Source)
- In a recent American Marketing Association (AMA) survey, 89% of marketers said that the tools they used are fully integrated into one platform (Source)
- According to Deloitte, 75% of organizations are still digitally immature due to a lack of technical experts with coding knowledge (Source)
- Between 2019 and 2020, the number of martech solution tools grew 25.5% (Source)
- A survey of U.S., Canada, and U.K. marketing professionals found that 44% use more than five tools in their marketing tech stack (Source)
- A survey of marketing technology decision-makers found that the leading barrier to a successful martech solution stack was platform integration (Source)
Marketing Department and Company Martech Statistics
- Marketing professionals are 1.6 times more likely than other company executives to prioritize technology integration (Source)
- Marketing professionals are 1.2 times more likely than other company executives to be technologically advanced (Source)
- Company leaders are 1.4 times more likely to use technology in their marketing efforts (Source)
- More than three in five brands are not ready for Google to phase out cookies and don’t have a new plan in place to track customer data (Source)
- Companies that take a data-centered approach to marketing experience a 15-20% higher return on investment (Source)
As you can see, marketing technology is continuing to grow as an industry and will become increasingly important in the coming years. If you’re ready to use technology to improve your marketing efforts, reach out to us at WebFX to learn more about MarketingCloudFX — our digital marketing automation platform.
Want to learn more about marketing technology? Check out our other martech resources.