Abby FieldsBranded Content Specialist
- September 28, 2022
- 6 minute read
- Abby is a data-driven content marketer with certifications in inbound marketing and content marketing. She’s written hundreds of articles covering digital marketing topics — a few of her specialties include first-party data, marketing and data analytics, marketing strategy optimization, and SEO. When she isn’t writing or optimizing content, Abby loves to spend time reading the latest mystery novel, having movie marathons with lots of snacks, and jamming out to Shania Twain.
WordPress is one of the most popular content management systems (CMS) and website creation platforms. If you want to learn more about this impressive CMS and website builder, we’ve got the ultimate list of 24 WordPress statistics of 2023 just for you!
So, keep reading for the inside scoop on all things WordPress!
Bonus: Don’t miss out on top-tier digital marketing and web design advice trusted by over 200,000 other marketers by signing up for our newsletter, Revenue Weekly! Our subscribers get revenue-driving marketing tips sent straight to their inbox for free!
24 Impressive WordPress statistics
We’re breaking down our list of WordPress statistics into the following categories:
- WordPress usage statistics
- WordPress plugin statistics
- WordPress theme statistics
- WordPress security statistics
Let’s dive into the WordPress stats!
WordPress Usage Statistics
First on our list of WordPress statistics is usage behavior. So, if you’re curious about how many people use this platform, check out the WordPress usage statistics below:
1. 74.6 million global websites use WordPress.
WordPress is one of the most popular CMS and website creation platforms worldwide, with more than 74.6 million websites using it around the world.
2. Users search for the keyword “WordPress” on Google 2.9 million times per month.
Many people actively search for WordPress online, with users searching for the keyword 2.9 million times per month on Google.
3. WordPress is the fastest-growing CMS, with users creating more than 500 websites daily.
The popularity of WordPress continues to grow, with more than 500 websites being created with the platform daily.
4. WordPress users publish 27 new posts around the world every second.
Users continue to take to WordPress to publish and manage their website’s content, with 27 new posts being published worldwide every second.
5. 65% of all websites that use a CMS use WordPress.
6. 48% of Technorati’s top 100 blogs are managed with WordPress.
WordPress has helped individuals and businesses create high-ranking, high-quality content, with 48% of Technorati’s top 100 blogs managed with WordPress.
7. WordPress is used by 43% of all websites on the Internet.
WordPress powers 43% of all websites on the Internet, making it the chosen CMS and website creation platform for almost half of all websites worldwide.
8. WordPress powers 36% of the top one million websites in the world.
WordPress is one of the most effective website creation and content management platforms, helping users create websites that drive meaningful results. In fact, WordPress powers 36% of the top one million websites in the world.
9. WordPress usage has increased by an average of 12% per year since 2011.
WordPress usage has continued to grow steadily since 2011, with an average increase of 12% each year.
WordPress plugin statistics
Ready to see more WordPress statistics? We’ve got you covered.
Check out some WordPress plugin statistics below:
10. The Yoast SEO plugin has been downloaded more than 463 million times.
11. The Askimet plugin has been downloaded more than 133 million times.
Askimet is another popular WordPress plugin that helps users block spam comments from their content and has more than 133 million downloads.
12. The Wordfence Security plugin has more than 121 million downloads.
With over 121 million downloads, the Wordfence Security plugin helps users keep their websites safe and secure with a firewall.
13. The Jetpack plugin has more than 120 million downloads.
14. WordPress offers over 60,000 free plugins in the official WordPress plugin directory.
The official WordPress plugin directory is filled with more than 60,000 free plugins that help users better manage their websites without costing a penny.
WordPress theme statistics
Next on our list of statistics on WordPress is theme stats. WordPress comes equipped with various themes to help you style and organize your website in a way that reflects your brand and helps your audience easily find your products or services.
View our favorite WordPress theme statistics below:
15. The Astra theme has more than seven million downloads.
The Astra theme is one of the most popular WordPress themes, with over seven million downloads.
16. The Divi and Astra themes are the two most popular WordPress themes used by the top one million websites in the world.
Of the 36% of WordPress sites in the top one million websites in the world, Divi and Astra are the two most popular WordPress themes.
17. There are a total of 31,000 themes in the WordPress theme repository.
WordPress has a wide range of themes to choose from, with a total of 31,000 themes in its theme repository.
18. The WordPress theme repository has more than 9000 free WordPress themes available.
If you want to opt for a free theme for your WordPress site, you’re in luck. There are more than 9000 free WordPress themes available.
19. $77.57 is the average price of a premium WordPress theme.
Wondering how much you can expect to pay for a WordPress theme? Users pay an average of $77.57 for a premium WordPress theme.
WordPress security statistics
Wondering if your company’s data and website visitor information will be safe and secure with WordPress?
We’ve got just the list of WordPress stats for you:
20. The Wordfence Security plugin blocked 18.5 billion password attack requests.
Blocking more than 18.5 billion password attack requests, the Wordfence Security plugin is one of the most trusted WordPress security plugins for a good reason.
21. The Wordfence plugin blocked 4.3 billion attempts to exploit WordPress vulnerabilities from over 9.7 million unique IP addresses.
The Wordfence Security plugin blocked over 4.3 billion attempts to exploit WordPress vulnerabilities from over 9.7 million unique IP addresses, keeping WordPress sites as safe and secure as possible.
22. 52% of WordPress vulnerabilities relate to WordPress plugins.
It’s essential to be cautious when choosing WordPress plugins, with 52% of WordPress vulnerabilities relating to them.
23. 41% of WordPress attacks are caused by a vulnerability on the WordPress hosting platform.
The WordPress hosting platform also has its fair share of vulnerabilities, causing 41% of WordPress attacks.
24. 39% of WordPress vulnerabilities are because of cross-site scripting (XSS).
XSS is a type of injection attack that allows attackers to compromise the interactions a user has on your website. XSS results in 39% of WordPress website vulnerabilities.
We don’t want to tell you about the work we do, we want to SHOW you.View Our Portfolio
We’ve built over
in a variety of industries.
Inspired by these impressive WordPress statistics?
Are you ready to build a website that drives impressive results for your business after reading those impressive stats about WordPress? The WordPress web design experts at WebFX can help!
Our team has over 25 years of web designing experience under their belts and has launched over 1,600 websites in that time.
Plus, our web designers have taken home more than 50 Horizon design awards for expertly crafted websites.
Abby is a data-driven content marketer with certifications in inbound marketing and content marketing. She’s written hundreds of articles covering digital marketing topics — a few of her specialties include first-party data, marketing and data analytics, marketing strategy optimization, and SEO. When she isn’t writing or optimizing content, Abby loves to spend time reading the latest mystery novel, having movie marathons with lots of snacks, and jamming out to Shania Twain.
WebFX is a full-service marketing agency with 1000+ client reviews and a 4.9-star rating on Clutch! Find out how our expert team and revenue-accelerating tech can drive results for you! Learn more