80 PPC Stats You Need to Know for 2023
Read on to discover 80 impactful PPC stats and subscribe to our newsletter, Revenue Weekly, to stay connected on the latest PPC trends!
Learn more: How Long Does it Take PPC to Work?
General pay-per-click statistics
Let’s take a look at some general PPC statistics for 2023 that you need to know before diving into this strategy.
- $144.8 billion is the amount companies spent on search advertising globally in 2021. (Source)
- $9000 to $10,000 per month is the amount the average PPC campaign costs for small to mid-sized companies. (Source)
- $2 for every $1 spent is how much businesses make on PPC. (Source)
- 72% of companies haven’t looked at their ad campaigns in over a month. (Source)
- 65% of small to mid-sized businesses have a PPC campaign. (Source)
- 59% say they research a product online first, before purchasing. (Source)
- 47% of the total global purchases are completed online. (Source)
- 39% is how much paid search accounted for in advertisers’ budgets. (Source)
- 32% of companies use PPC to sell products directly to consumers. (Source)
Search ads stats
What are search ads?
PPC ads in search appear with an “Ad” label, and look otherwise the same as organic search results in SERPs. Below, you can see an example of a PPC ad that you’d see in search results.
Let’s take a look at how these PPC stats for 2023 showcase the relationship between search and paid ads.
- $190.5 billion is how much search advertising spending is projected to grow worldwide by 2024. (Source)
- $118.2 billion is projected to read Ad spending in the Search Advertising segment in 2023. (Source)
- $8.67 is the highest average CPC for Google Ads, belonging to the legal industry. (Source)
- $1.40 is the lowest average CPC for search on Google Ads, belonging to real estate. (Source)
- 96% of advertisers spend money on search ads. (Source)
- 92% of the global search engine market is controleld by Google. (Source)
- 80% is about how much search ads can increase brand awareness. (Source)
- 65% of all high-intent searches result in an ad click. (Source)
- PPC traffic converts 50% better than organic site visitors. (Source)
- 45% of page clicks are earned by Ads that appear in search results. (Source)
- 42% of all digital marketing spending is search marketing. (Source)
- 46% of all clicks go to the top three pay-per-click (PPC) ads. (Source)
Display PPC stats
What are display ads?
Display ads appear around the internet on various websites. They can appear in the headers of some websites, in sidebars, and even in text.
PPC is more than advertising in search results. These PPC statistics highlight another common PPC format, display ads, and how these ads impact businesses.
- Search advertising spending is projected to grow to about 190.5 billion U.S. dollars by the end of 2024. (Source)
- $68 billion or more is what US advertisers are projected to invest in programmatic digital display advertising this year. (Source)
- $0.44 is the lowest average CPC for Google’s Display Network, belonging to travel and hospitality ads. (Source)
- $1.49 is the highest average CPC for Google’s Display Network, belonging to dating and personals. (Source)
- 97% of total digital display ad spending in 2026 was projected to be programmatic advertising. (Source)
- 85,6% of programmatic display ad spending went to banners, video, and other display ad units across social networks. (Source)
- 16% of advertisers’ budgets is display advertising. (Source)
Shopping PPC stats
What are PPC shopping ads?
PPC shopping ads are ads that you can “click to shop” – making it easier than ever to purchase a product when you see an ad that interests you. These ads also work on a pay-per-click basis, and show up in search engine results pages.
Many companies use paid ads to advertise their products. Check out these pay-per-click statistics that focus on shopping ads!
- 65% of advertisers say their company’s use of shoppable images within search will increase. (Source)
- 60% of shopping queries on Google Search are users looking for inspiration when narrowing from a broad category to a specific product. (Source)
- 50% of shoppers will be using voice shopping. (Source)
- 42% of shoppers say they expect a retailer to have up-to-date information on how they interact with it across all channels, including in-store, online, and social media. (Source)
- 41% of shoppers say they were comfortable with a retailer monitoring their shopping patterns and purchases in order to personalize offers. (Source)
- 230 million people shopped online in 2021. (Source)
- 16% of people will finish shopping just before Christmas. (Source)
- 16% of all searches for bottoms (trousers, shorts, skirts, etc.) reference a gender-related term like “women’s shorts.” (Source)
- 12% of all searches for bottoms (trousers, shorts, skirts, etc.) reference a color, black being the most popular. (Source)
Google PPC stats
Google is the most common place to run PPC ads. Look at these PPC stats for 2023 that give you insight into advertising on Google!
- Google Ads is currently the biggest provider of search advertising on the market. (Source)
- $209.49 billion is what Google’s ad revenue amounted in 2021. (Source)
- $8 for every $1.60 spent is what businesses earn on average with Google Ads. (Source)
- $1.16 is Google’s average CPC. (Source)
- 98% of advertisers rate Google as most trustworthy with a 4 or 5 out of 5 on the trust index. (Source)
- 84% of advertisers who use paid search are currently using or planning to use Google’s new responsive search ads. (Source)
- 80% of all companies focus on Google Ads for PPC. (Source)
- 73% of the total ad spending is Google’s U.S. ad search revenue share. (Source)
- 62% of all core search queries in the United States are generated by Google. (Source)
Amazon PPC stats
You can also choose to advertise your products on Amazon. Similarly to Google Shopping Ads, Amazon PPC ads allow users to click the product and purchase easily.
If you have products you’re selling on Amazon, check out these PPC statistics to get insight on advertising on Amazon!
- Amazon is the third most popular advertising platform. (Source)
- Sponsored product ads have the highest sales-per-click. (Source)
- Sponsored Products and Sponsored Brands clicks convert at more than three times the rate of Google Shopping ad clicks. (Source)
- There are over 9.7 million Amazon Sellders worldwide. (Source)
- $37,7 billion is what Amazon earned in net U.S. digital ad revenues in 2022. (Source)
- $7.09 billion is the net ad spending share on Amazon for search ads in the U.S. (Source)
- $2.76 billion is the net ad spending share on Amazon for display ads is in the U.S. (Source)
- $0.77 is Amazon’s average CPC. (Source)
- 85% of ad spending on Amazon is for sponsored products. (Source)
- 12% of the total ad spending is Amazon’s U.S. ad search revenue share. (Source)
Social media PPC stats
You can also advertise your products on social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and more. Social media ads show up differently on each platform, and you can choose from a variety of locations to advertise — like stories, and feeds.
Social media platforms are a great place to reach new leads. Check out these PPC statistics that provide insight on advertising through social media!
- $114.93 billion was Facebook’s ad revenue in the US in 2021. (Source)
- $2.91 billion is Pinterest’s expected ad revenue in the U.S. in 2023. (Source)
- $223 billion was spent on social ads in 2022. (Source)
- 64% of Pinterest users described the platform as a place to find ideas, products or services they can trust. (Source)
- 65% of B2B companies have acquired customers through LinkedIn ads. (Source)
- 48% of U.S. user’s social media users use Pinterest for finding and shopping for products. (Source)
- 37% of online users mark social networks as most influential when finding inspiration for purchases. (Source)
- 37% of Instagram users answered that the content of sponsored ads matches their interests most of the time. (Source)
- 32% of advertisers say that video is the most effective social ad format, followed by image ads at 26%, Instagram Stories at 23%, and carousel ads at 19%. (Source)
- 28% of Instagram users follow the “More” link to gain more information about the advertisement on 10% of ads they see. (Source)
- 25% of users who have hidden Instagram ads said that they hide the ad because they are annoyed by sponsored ads. (Source)
- 24% of Instagram users aged 16 and up liked to view video ads the most. (Source)
- 18% of advertisers’ budgets are paid social. (Source)
- 9% of Instagram users stated that they had never clicked to hide an ad. (Source)
- Only 4% of social marketers in the U.S. are using TikTok. (Source)
Mobile PPC stats
As mobile becomes more popular, you must adapt your paid advertising strategy to reach mobile users. Check out these PPC stats that focus on advertising on mobile!
- More than 615 million devices have ad blockers. (Source)
- $935 billion is what mobile apps are projected to generate in revenues for 2023 via paid downloads and in-app advertising. (Source)
- $146 billion is how much mobile advertising spend will reach by 2023. (Source)
- 95% of paid search ad clicks on mobile is driven by Google. (Source)
- 90% of mobile owners conduct mobile searches. (Source)
- 70% of U.S. search ad impressions are on mobile devices. (Source)
- 69% of smartphone owners use them for shopping. (Source)
- 65% of people use mobile in their “I-want-to-buy” moments. (Source)
- 60% of mobile users click on a PPC ad at least once per week. (Source)
- 53% of PPC ad clicks come from mobile devices. (Source)
User behavior PPC stats
Are you curious to know how customers interact with your ads? Check out these PPC statistics to get insight into how users engage with PPC ads!
- $378.60 is the average ad spending per internet user in the search advertising projected segment in 2023 (Source).
- 80% of consumers want ads customized to city, zip code, and surroundings. (Source)
- 75% of people say paid ads make it easier to find what they need. (Source)
- 70% of consumers say it’s important to include directions and a call button in ads. (Source)
- 60% of people can’t identify ads in search engine results pages. (Source)
- 51% of Generation Z use ad blockers. (Source)
- 50% of users can’t tell the difference between paid results and organic results. (Source)
- 50% is how much more likely PPC visitors are to buy than organic visitors. (Source)
Get actionable PPC strategy advice with WebFX
Want help incorporating these stats into your PPC marketing strategy?
WebFX can give you the PPC management advice you need.
Bonus Read: Check out the answers to the most common PPC questions!
Our 500+ PPC advertising experts have generated over $3 billion in revenue for our clients in the past five years. We’ll help you build the perfect PPC campaign.
Contact us online or call us at 888-601-5359 to learn more about WebFX’s PPC management services!
Table of Contents
Browse All of Our PPC Resources