In this article, I’ve pieced together 30 excellent CSS techniques and design examples that showcases the capabilities and robustness of CSS. You’ll see a variety of techniques such as image galleries, drop shadows, scalable buttons, menus, and more – all using only CSS and HTML. Clicking on the title will direct you to the documentation/tutorial, while clicking on the accompanying image will direct you to the demo page if it’s separate from the documentation.
1. Hoverbox Image Gallery
A pure css-based gallery; hovering over an image enlarges it.
2. Advanced CSS Menu
A creative and complex navigation scheme.
3. Sliding Photograph Galleries
An accordion effect; hovering over an image expands it.
4. Lightbox Slides
Part of an article entitled “Supercharge your image borders” showcasing how you can use CSS styles to design images look more interesting.
5. Drop shadow on an image
An image effect demo and discussion based on a A List Apart article entitled, “CSS Drop shadows“.
6. Cross Browser Multi-Page Photograph Gallery
Hovering over the tabs changes the category, while hovering over an image enlarges it.
7. CSS Photo Zoom
Uses a single image and adjustment of the
8. CSS gallery layout—smells like a table
Mimics a table layout, but uses lists. The gallery is also fluid width.
9. Sticky Footer
A static footer with very little XHTML required.
10. whatever: hover
A navigation menu that mimics Window’s Start menu.
11. CSS-Only Accordion Effect
An accordion effect using div’s and
:hover; the accordion effect can be vertical or horizontal.
12. Scalable CSS Buttons Using PNG and Background Colors
A technique that addresses vertical scaling, the use of many images, and lack of a hover effect.
13. Pushbutton Links
links that are styled to look like buttons without using images.
14. Scrollable Table with Fixed Header
The table’s captions stay put, which is excellent for long tables.
15. Content Overlay with CSS
When you hover over the image, the container div is shown with more text.
16. A CSS styled table version 2
A beautifully styled, table with semantic mark-up – uses a background image.
17. PNG Overlay
Another way to add flare to images (rounds the corners and adds a border and drop shadow) to make an even more effective image.
18. Showing Hyperlink Cues with CSS
Simple tutorial on adding icons to different types of links.
19. Simple Rounded Corner CSS Boxes
Uses only one image and very few lines of code and mark-up.
20. Sitemap Celebration
Tree-like navigation using nested lists, great for sitemap pages.
21. Easy cross-browser transparency
22. Curved corners 2
Fluid width and height divs with rounded corners.
23. Creating a graph using percentage background images
<li> styled into bar graphs.
24. CSS Bar Graphs: Examples
3 bar graph examples – “Basic CSS Bar Graph”, “Complex CSS Bar Graph”, and “Vertical CSS Bar Graph” using div’s and definition list tags.
25. Animated Rollover Arrow
26. A CSS-based Form Template
Showcases an accessible web form.
27. CSS Image Text Wrap
Using empty spacer div’s, the page’s text mimics a wrapping effect around the background image.
28. Before your very eyes – a fade-in image
A demo using opacity and a single image that gradually fades in to cover the text.
29. Pure CSS Pop-ups
A pop-up technique that works even in IE 5 Mac.
30. CSS Gradient Text Effect
Uses background image overlays, and empty span tag, and
position: absolute to create a gradient effect on text.
- 40 Useful Adobe Illustrator 3D Tutorials and Techniques
- 10 Top-Notch CSS Editors
- 45 Beautiful Dual-Screen Wallpapers
- Minimal and Modern Layout: PSD to XHTML/CSS Conversion
- Getting Started with JQuery
- How to Create Inset Typography with CSS3
- Semantic CSS3 Lightboxes
- Create a CSS3 Call to Action Button
- CSS3 Card Trick: a Fun CSS3 Experiment
Resources by Industry
- Web Design for Excavation Companies: Top 5 Tips (With Examples!)
- 5 Web Design Tips for Fence Installers
- 5 Simple and Successful Web Design Tips for Auto Parts Retailers
- Tips for Medical Website Designs
- Medical Website Design from an Award Winning Agency
- Top 10 Effective Web Design Tips for Auto Service Centers
- Web Design for Renewable Energy: Tips for a Site That Shines
- Insurance Website Design Services
- 5 Web Design Tips for Fertility Clinics
How is your website’s SEO?
Use our free tool to get your score calculated in under 60 seconds.
Get posts by email
Join 200,000 marketing managers and subscribe to Revenue Weekly!
"*" indicates required fields
Join our mission to provide industry-leading digital marketing services to businesses around the globe - all while building your personal knowledge and growing as an individual.