In 1995, Amazon sold their very first book. In 2015, Americans spent over $341 billion online. Over the course of 20 years, ecommerce evolved from a novel new concept into a major part of the world’s economy.
But how did that happen?
That’s what we wanted to find out – and we did. In this infographic, we outline some of the most important milestones in the development of ecommerce as we know it today, as well as the current state of the industry and where we believe it’s headed:
Major ecommerce milestones
1991 – The World Wide Web is created 1994 – Netscape launches Navigator, the first widely-used web browser, and Pizza Hut offers online ordering on their website 1995 – eBay is founded & Amazon makes its first sale 1996 – Over 40 million people have Internet access, and online sales surpass $1 billion for the year 1998 – PayPal is founded, and changes the way people make payments online 2000 – Revenue from U.S. online shopping totals over $25 billion 2001 – 70% of Internet users make an online purchase during the holiday season 2003 – Apple launches iTunes, the first major digital music store 2005 – The term “Cyber Monday” is coined and becomes one of the biggest online shopping days of the year 2006 – Facebook begins selling advertisements 2008 – Online purchases are made on mobile phones for the first time 2012 – Online B2C sales surpass $1 trillion
The Growth of Ecommerce
Ecommerce Sales in the U.S.
Ecommerce sales have continued to grow steadily, with the total sales increasing 135% from 2009 to 2015.
The Growing Importance of Ecommerce
Ecommerce has not only grown in total revenue, but also continued to make up a larger share of the total retail sales made in the United States.
The Ecommerce Industry Today
There are now more than 800,000 stores online. 78% of US adults have made a purchase online, and 69% of adults with Internet access shop online at least once a month.
Online sales by Product Category
The most commonly purchased items online are electronics (22%) and clothing (17%).
Looking to the Future: Mobile Commerce & Personalization
Ecommerce is continuing to evolve, and two of the most important trends for online retailers today are mobile commerce and personalization. In 2015, 30% of ecommerce sales took place on a mobile device, and mobile commerce is expected to grow 2.58x faster than total ecommerce sales. 56% of consumers say they would be more included to use a retailer if it offered a personalized experience, and 74% of online shoppers get frustrated when websites show content that has nothing to do with their interests.
Sell more online with WebFX
Want to turbocharge your ecommerce sales?
Check out our online marketplace guide — and contact WebFX today to start boosting your online revenue!
Table of Contents
- The Fall of Internet Auctions and New Age of eCommerce
- Copy With Character: 3 Ecommerce Websites with Awesome Copywriting
- What You Need to Know About American Ecommerce [Infographic]
- Is WooCommerce Right for Your Ecommerce Business?
- Your Google Merchant Center Guide [+FAQ]
- Social Media Tips for Ecommerce [+27 Social Media Ecommerce Statistics]
- Ecommerce Marketing Guide: 7 Key Ecommerce Marketing Strategies
- 11 Ways to Increase Your Online Sales in 2023
- Ecommerce vs. Retail: Should I Expand My Business Online?
How We Drive Revenue for Businesses
Marketing Tips for Niche Industries
- Successful Digital Marketing For Auto Manufacturing Companies
- 7 Key Digital Marketing Ideas For Doctors
- Learn 5 Ways to Drive Revenue With Digital Marketing for Excavators
- 3 Most Common Mistakes in Medical Marketing
- Digital Marketing for Financial Insurance
- Top 3 Digital Marketing Methods for Fence Installers
- How to Get Patients: 5+ Ways to Attract More Patients to Your Practice
- Grow Your Practice With Our Medical Marketing Company
- 4 Digital Marketing Strategies for Apartment Managers
How is your website’s SEO?
Use our free tool to get your score calculated in under 60 seconds.
Get posts by email
Join 200,000 marketing managers and subscribe to Revenue Weekly!
"*" indicates required fields
Join our mission to provide industry-leading digital marketing services to businesses around the globe - all while building your personal knowledge and growing as an individual.