Caller ID definitely helps with that, but that’s not enough information to grow your business.
Instead, you can use call tracking.
Call tracking is a great way for businesses to see who calls them, when someone called, who they represent, what they want, where they’re located, and even transcripts of what they said.
That means you have a record of customer data that you can use to improve your website and your business to attract more customers.
On this page, we’ll dive into how call tracking works, how it helps your business, and how you can use it. You can also contact us online or call 888-601-5359 today to speak with one of our experts!
How call tracking works
Call tracking carefully documents different information from every call you receive to your website.
The way it works is that you set up call tracking software on your site, attach it to a phone number, and post that phone number as your primary contact method.
Then, when someone calls you, the software automatically kicks on and records information, such as the location of the caller, the company where they work, and their address.
In addition, you can set up new phone numbers to track every time you start a different marketing campaign. That allows you to see which marketing strategies are getting results for your business and which ones aren’t operating at the level you want.
There are three different kinds of call tracking. They include:
A Partner Businesses Trust
Leah Pickard. ABWE
Offline Call Tracking
Organic Call Tracking
Paid Call Tracking
Regardless of how you use it, call tracking is a great way to get data on your potential customers so you can effectively target similar customers in the future.
Now, let’s get into the specifics of why call tracking helps you.
Advantages of call tracking
With call tracking, you’ll notice some distinct improvements to your business right away:
- Exact transcripts of phone conversations, regardless of the conversation’s length.
- Firmographic data, including the company where the caller works, the industry of that company, and where it’s located.
- Permanent records of phone numbers that called you so you can call them back and follow up.
- Quantifiable data, including the potential worth of that business if they became your customer.
- How many phone calls you field every day and what time of day you receive them.
- Which callers eventually become customers.
These are some of the main reasons call tracking works for so many businesses. There are other advantages as well, but let’s take a look at the best practices you should use in call tracking.
Call tracking best practices
Now that you know what call tracking is and how it can benefit your company, it’s time to start putting some best practices into the mix.
These are tips for using call tracking for peak performance:
- Make sure you know what metrics you want to track. You’ll have a lot of information at your fingertips, and it’s up to you to discover what information is valuable to your business. Over time, you may decide that some information — like call duration — has no impact on your conversion rate, so you can safely ignore it.
- Cycle different phone numbers for different campaigns. You can use these different numbers as an indication of how successful one campaign is. Just use one at a time, and if you have simultaneous campaigns running, use multiple numbers. Have an end date for each of your marketing campaigns so you can use that campaign’s phone number for a future campaign as well.
- Consider having different phone numbers go to different people in your office. This is especially valuable if your sales team operates on commission or individual performance. They can each have a separate number that shows you how many people are calling them directly, and you can follow up by seeing how effectively your salespeople turn those callers into customers.
- If you have data on calls, such as call duration or conversion rates, before adding call tracking, use those data points to evaluate how well the call tracking is working for you.
WebFX knows call tracking
At WebFX, we know call tracking so well that we designed our own proprietary call tracking software. In addition, we have a team of marketing experts who k now exactly how to use the data from call tracking to get the best results for your businesses. We’ve used our call tracking software — CallTrackerFX — to help our clients increase their revenue, and now we’ll do the same for you!
Contact us today to set up a call tracking plan specific to your business!