14 Ecommerce Selling Tips to Boost Your Ecommerce Strategy
As an online business, selling your products is paramount. Without online sales, and especially if you don’t have a brick and mortar location, your business won’t see the revenue it needs to stay alive.
Luckily, when it comes to how to sell products online successfully, we have a few aces up our sleeves in terms of advice.
On this page, we’ll talk about 14 of our favorite ecommerce selling tips to ensure that you sell more products than ever before. We’ll also talk about how you can create your ideal ecommerce marketing strategy to increase business revenue.
Keep reading to learn more, and if you want tips like these in your inbox, don’t forget to sign up for Revenue Weekly!
Partner with Ecommerce masters!
Campaigns managed by WebFX have earned over
TRANSACTIONS IN THE LAST 5 YEARS
Read Case Studies
Partner with Ecommerce masters!
Campaigns managed by WebFX have earned over
TRANSACTIONS IN THE LAST 5 YEARS
14 ecommerce tactics to help you sell more products
Let’s dive right in! Here are our top 14 ecommerce selling tips and tactics to overflow your website with interested shoppers.
1. Create a stunning website
As an ecommerce store, your website is your storefront. That means that you don’t have the opportunity to light a candle to make your storefront smell welcoming or install the perfect lighting to feature your best products.
What it does mean is that you must find ways, through design, to feature your products in a way that entices users to buy. You have to figuratively light a candle and make your online storefront just as unique as your hypothetical brick and mortar.
Working with a top ecommerce web design agency is your best bet when it comes to creating an on-brand website that sells your products.
Here are a few things an ecommerce web design agency can do:
- Build a website with your brand colors, logo, and style in mind
- Implement hard-to-ignore calls to action (CTAs)
- Manage your shopping feed
- Make the customer check-out process a breeze
These are all crucial elements of a successful ecommerce website.
2. Develop content that intrigues users
If you have a beautiful website to display your products, you need content to inform interested customers.
Our second ecommerce selling tip is to create high-quality content around your products, services, and brand.
To create this content, you’ll want to:
- Perform keyword research to determine what your target audience is interested in
- Investigate what kind of content your competition writes
- Focus on long-tail keywords
- Create content around those keywords
- Implement those keywords in title tags, meta descriptions, and header tags
3. Optimize your website with search engine optimization (SEO)
SEO is one of the most important ecommerce selling tips because of the astronomical results it drives. For example, our client Cutting Edge Firewood increased their organic traffic by 167% year-over-year with the use of SEO and local SEO.
To optimize your ecommerce website with SEO, you’ll take actions like:
- Adding target keywords to your content
- Creating a strong internal linking structure
- Optimizing your user experience
- Cleaning up the back end of your site
When you optimize your ecommerce store with SEO, your content will rank higher in search engines and more shoppers will find your products.
SEO is especially important if you don’t plan on running pay-per-click (PPC) ads. However, we strongly recommend using PPC ads!
4. Use PPC ads to capture interested customers
Next on our list of ecommerce selling tips is to use PPC ads.
PPC ads allow you to target your most valuable customers within Google and on social media platforms. There are a few perks that make PPC stand out as an ecommerce tactic:
- You don’t pay for PPC ads unless shoppers click them
- In Google, PPC ads show up above organic results, making them the first thing users see
- PPC ads are affordable
- PPC ads start working immediately after you launch your campaign
- PPC ads are extremely targeted
The affordability of PPC ads make them stand out, but the fact that you can target users based on things like demographics and location take the cake. Not only that, but PPC is a quick-win strategy that shows results almost immediately.
5. Be present (in every way) on social media
Social media sees billions of users every day, making it one of the best places to talk about and sell your products. Many platforms are fantastic for ecommerce stores including Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, and Twitter.
Our number four ecommerce selling tip is to build a presence on social media. This process includes:
- Posting original content for your followers: Post written content, links to your website, videos, and images to get optimal interaction with your social media accounts.
- Connecting directly with interested customers in direct message platforms: Take advantage of direct message platforms to answer customer questions and offer advice.
- Using social media ads: Using social media ads is an important ecommerce tactic to help you sell more products to users by meeting them where they are (social platforms.)
6. Remarket to users who previously showed interest
Next on our list of ecommerce selling tips involves remarketing to previously interested users.
Remarketing is a tactic that allows you to show ads to users who have already visited your website or clicked on one of your PPC ads.
It’s one of the most effective ecommerce tactics since it gives users a second chance to buy your products, and the more times a user is exposed to an ad, the more likely they are to convert.
7. Determine why users have cart abandonment issues
If you’re not seeing as many conversions as you’d like, try performing a cart abandonment analysis.
You’ll always have a handful of customers that abandon their cart but determining why is a key ecommerce selling tip.
Users could abandon their cart because:
- The purchasing process was too difficult
- You didn’t accept their form of payment
- They forgot about their products (this is where remarketing comes in!)
- They didn’t care enough about the products to convert
After you determine why users abandon their cart, you can make the changes necessary to optimize the process and earn more conversions.
Partner with Ecommerce Masters!
8. Create irresistible landing pages
Landing pages are a huge part of selling products — especially if you’re relying on ads. Your landing page is where a user ends up after clicking an ad for your product or service.
This page should advertise the exact product that was shown in the ad, along with:
- An enticing CTA
- Information about the product
- Color options
- Size specs
- Product reviews
- Product description
- Product cost
- An image of the product
If your landing page misses the mark, you likely won’t see many conversions from product ads.
9. Provide customer service that’s second to none
One of our favorite ecommerce selling tips is to provide stellar customer service.
If a customer is dissatisfied with a product, be sure to respond to their inquiry quickly, and always offer to send a replacement. The golden rule for fantastic customer service is, “the customer is always right,” and when you follow this rule, you can’t lose.
Additionally, respond to messages in your social media direct message inboxes as soon as possible to show users that you care.
Finally, the last strategy to provide great customer service is simple. Put your customers first.
10. Personalize the experience
There’s nothing like buying from a company that you feel knows you personally, and one of the best ways to make your customers feel like that is to create personal connections with your prospects.
There are a variety of ways to personalize a buying experience including:
- Using a customer’s name in a personalized email
- Sending a personalized email letting a customer know which items they left in their cart
- Personalized remarketing ads
- Personalized coupons with products that a shopper showed interest in
These are just a few ways you can personalize someone’s experience and make them more likely to become a customer.
11. Talk about value, not your business
When it comes to ecommerce selling tips, you can’t sell your products if you don’t understand tip number 11.
Instead of talking about your business, why it’s unique, and why it’s the best of its kind, focus on talking about how your products and services can make a customer’s life easier.
Focus on developing a few value propositions and then find ways to work them into your content, your website, and your social media posts.
When you prove to users that your product can make their life easier, they convert.
12. Optimize your ecommerce store for mobile
An important ecommerce tactic is to ensure that you optimize your ecommerce site for mobile. More than ever, users shop online using their mobile device, and if your store isn’t optimized, you could see a high cart abandonment rate.
When your site isn’t optimized for mobile, it makes it difficult for users to browse through and click on your products — putting a wrench in the buying process.
Eliminate user struggle by opting for a mobile-friendly ecommerce website.
13. Only use the highest quality product images
When users are thinking about purchasing a product, they want to see an accurate image — and they want a high-quality image.
Only post the best images of your product and include images of all angles and elements of a product.
This ecommerce selling tip is especially important since a user is shopping online where they can’t see or feel the product in person.
Give users all the visuals they need to purchase a product with high-quality product images!
14. Provide a variety of payment options
Today, there are more payment options than ever, and as an ecommerce store, you should capitalize on them all.
Instead of simply offering credit card payments, branch out and offer Apple Pay and PayPal.
Expanding your payment options will make it easy for every user to check out, no matter what payment option they want to use.
How to create an effective ecommerce marketing strategy
If you’re not sure how to piece together our ecommerce selling tips to sell your products online successfully, WebFX can help.
With over 20 years of experience, we’ve created thousands of marketing campaigns for clients just like you. We specialize in every ecommerce tactic that we mentioned, so you can rest assured that your strategy is in the right hands.
We’ll get to know your business, list out your goals, and talk about budget before crafting a personalized ecommerce marketing strategy just for you.
Ready to get started? Contact us online for a free quote, or give us a call at 888-601-5359!