- 7 min. read
William CraigCEO & Co-Founder
- President of WebFX. Bill has over 25 years of experience in the Internet marketing industry specializing in SEO, UX, information architecture, marketing automation and more. William’s background in scientific computing and education from Shippensburg and MIT provided the foundation for MarketingCloudFX and other key research and development projects at WebFX.
Looking for design inspiration? These 10 banner ads examples will get your creative juices flowing!
A banner ad must grab attention and tell viewers what to do to win clicks. We’ve compiled a list of compelling banner ad examples to show you what we mean.
What are banner ads?
Banner ads are a form of display advertising.
Creative banner ads use snappy text, strong call-to-action (CTA), and striking imagery to encourage clicks. They appear as rectangular graphics at a web page’s tops, sides, or bottoms. Once a user clicks on the ad, it takes them to the advertiser’s website.
Businesses use creative banner ads to drive traffic, boost sales, and increase brand awareness.
As a whole, digital advertising can increase brand awareness by 80%.
10 Banner ads examples for inspiration
The following brands know how to do banner ads right:
Our first banner ad example is from Brita. Brita’s banner ad sings — literally! Its rhyming message stands out, along with the striking color contrast and simple CTA button.
Brita understands color psychology, too, using blue to evoke thirst. You can also use the power of color psychology to trigger emotions and create brand recognition.
Among our banner ads examples, this ad answers the most crucial questions in a few lines, leaving plenty of room for attractive imagery. The minimal text and streamlined look appeal to the audience’s desire for simplicity. Viewers know what to expect, too, when they hit the CTA.
Mailchimp understands its audience — as is evident in this banner ad. It doesn’t use precious space to explain a customer relationship management (CRM) tool because it knows it doesn’t need to. Instead, it focuses on filling the graphic with attention-grabbing, cheerful yellow and a message that appeals to its users’ needs.
4. Liberty Mutual
Is that an ostrich on a banner ad? An emu? Does it matter?
Not if you’re Liberty Mutual — you already caught the viewers’ attention. This brand uses a touch of humor, bright colors, and a clear money-saving message to urge clicks.
Another brand that knows how to make insurance fun? Welcome to Geico. Geico places its familiar and all-too-cute reptile in the spotlight.
This banner ad example works with easy-to-understand text and can’t-miss CTA!
6. Planet Fitness
Planet Fitness uses bold, high-energy colors to grab your eyes. This banner ad example clearly states what users can expect when they click, instantly establishing trust. A simple, front-and-center CTA is just the right shape, size, and color — it doesn’t detract from the main message but is also impossible to miss.
Talk about using a sense of urgency to make readers click. Google’s simple and effective banner ad shows readers what they’re missing out on if they don’t hit “buy now.” If you want more clicks, consider ways to add urgency to your ads.
Disney+ knows how to pull its audience in almost instantly. This banner ad’s soothing, neutral colors make viewers want to flop on the couch and enter a fantasy world. With its eye-catching CTA, its audience won’t want to miss an exclusive deal.
Did Popeyes make your stomach growl? This is one of the banner ads examples that successfully makes web users crave fried shrimp! Clearly displaying the cost, viewers feel confident they can afford to “order now.” The intense, appetite-stimulating imagery promises to deliver plenty of bang for the buck.
Another way to attract attention? Pique your readers’ curiosity. This sleek, minimalist banner ad begs the question — how?
How can this ring make me healthier and stronger? Unable to resist not knowing the answer, the reader is sure to click.
8 Tips for effective banner designs ( like our banner ads examples)
What makes our banner ads examples effective? Follow these 8 tips to help you design your impactful banner ads:
- Make sure it’s fast and responsive: You’ve probably seen slow-loading banner ads at some point and know they detract from user experience. Don’t be that ad. Ensure your banner ads load in seconds and work smoothly on any device or screen.
- Know your audience: Your banner ads must appeal to your target audience to be the most effective. Understand your audience and what they’ll likely engage with before you design your ads.
- Know your brand: Your banner ads should be an extension of your brand. Consider how you’ll infuse your ads with your brand’s voice, color schemes, logo, and personality.
- Choose colors that pop: As you may have gathered from the banner ads examples above, effective ads often use contrasting colors. Why? Because they jump off the screen.
Choose your colors wisely to hook viewers and keep them planted in your ads.
- Use engaging images: Select interesting, relevant, and high-quality images for your banner ad design. Consider how you want it to affect people. Do you want to surprise readers?
Make them smile? Evoke curiosity, hunger, or trust? Be sure to avoid blurry or generic images — you want to stand out from the crowd.
- Keep it simple: Effective banner ads are clutter-free and have a straightforward message. Viewers should learn what you’re offering in seconds. Any longer than that and you increase the risk of them looking away.
- Have a clear CTA: The CTA must be a shining element and stand out from the rest of the ad. It must also tell readers what to do directly. Ensure the CTA does not mislead readers in any way to establish trust and increase conversions.
- Make it worth it: The average person sees hundreds, sometimes thousands, of banner ads on the web each day. How can you make your ad special and worth someone’s time? Include an offer the viewer can’t refuse.
Pair it with a clear CTA, and you’ll have a winner.
Attract more customers using effective banner ads
When done right, a banner ad has great potential to boost engagement and sales. At WebFX, our experienced team of designers and internet marketers can create head-turning, must-click banner ads to match your brand’s unique personality and audience. Learn more about our banner ad services today.
President of WebFX. Bill has over 25 years of experience in the Internet marketing industry specializing in SEO, UX, information architecture, marketing automation and more. William’s background in scientific computing and education from Shippensburg and MIT provided the foundation for MarketingCloudFX and other key research and development projects at WebFX.
WebFX is a full-service marketing agency with 1000+ client reviews and a 4.9-star rating on Clutch! Find out how our expert team and revenue-accelerating tech can drive results for you! Learn more