The Complete Ecommerce Startup Guide
How to Start Your Own Online Store, Step-by-Step
WebFX—July 17, 2014
So you want to sell online. Great! But do you know how to get started, or how to build a truly successful ecommerce website? If not, this guide is for you.
The world of ecommerce is an exciting one, and it’s constantly changing and evolving to meet the needs of consumers. While this is great for customers shopping online, it can present a challenge for business owners who don’t often have the time or resources to keep up with the latest payment options or check their sites for platform or software updates.
To explore this guide and learn more about starting your own online store, click the links below to skip between chapters. Use the "previous chapter" and "next chapter" links to read the guide in order, or click the "home" link to return to this page and the table of contents again.
Table of Contents
1. An Introduction to Ecommerce
2. Defining Your Niche, Strategy, and Goals
3. Picking an Ecommerce Platform
- Self-Hosted Ecommerce
- Hosted Ecommerce
- Wordpress Ecommerce Plugins
4. Setting Up Your Store
5. Designing Your Website
6. All About Ecommerce SEO
- Identifying Your Keywords
- Keyword Location
- Other Ecommerce SEO Tips
7. Offering Amazing Customer Service
8. Time to Launch!
9. Ecommerce Marketing Methods
- Pay-Per-Click Ads
- Social Media
- Blogging & Content Marketing
- Print Advertising
- Additional Ideas
10. Common Mistakes to Avoid
11. Long-Term Ecommerce Website Maintenance
12. Further Reading & Additional Resources