Chrome Developer Tools (also known as DevTools) is an essential component of any front-end developer’s toolkit. Mastering this useful in-browser tool will substantially enhance your coding workflow. DevTools has a great deal of features, and to take advantage of them, it’s wise to invest some time learning the ins-and-outs of the tool in order to unlock its true potential.
Fortunately, there are many free tutorials, guides, and resources on DevTools. Whether you’re completely new to DevTools or are already an intermediate user, these tutorials and resources will give you a wealth of insights on this amazingly powerful development tool.
Discover DevTools is a free web-based course at Code School that will introduce you to Chrome Developer Tools.
There are seven chapters and 17 videos in this online tutorial/course.
This site is a collection of useful Chrome Developer Tools tutorials, tips, and tricks curated by full-stack web developer Jeferson Koslowski.
Official Chrome DevTools Docs
For those who haven’t heard of DevTools before, or for developers who want to completely master the fundamentals, the official documentation at the Google Chrome Developer site is an excellent place to start.
Chrome DevTools Cheatsheet
The Chrome DevTools Cheatsheet is an information-packed one-page resource that’s extremely handy to have around as a reference.
Google Chrome Developer Tools Video Series
This 5-part video playlist from the Google Chrome YouTube channel is a set of short introductory video tutorials about DevTools. The videos were published in 2009-2010 — many aspects of DevTools have changed since then — but they will still provide you with good information about the tool.
Google Chrome Developer Tools: Getting started
Google Chrome Developer Tools: Profiling and optimizing
Google Chrome Developer Tools: Inspecting elements and resources
Google Chrome Developer Tools: The timeline panel
Secrets of the Chrome Developer Tools
This 40-minute video tutorial by Patrick Dubroy reveals some lesser-known DevTools features.
Wait, Chrome DevTools Could Do THAT?
https://youtube.com/watch?v=BaneWEqNcpE%3Frel%3D0%26showinfo%3D0 This 33-minute video by Google Web performance engineer Ilya Grigorik will give you tips on how to effectively use Chrome Developer Tools to analyze network performance, find memory leaks in your scripts, and much more.
More DevTools Tutorials and Resources
Here’s a list of other DevTools tutorials for accomplishing specific web development tasks:
- Responsive Web Design with DevTools’ Device Mode (blog.chromium.org)
- Chrome DevTools for Mobile (html5rocks.com)
- Hacking Chrome DevTools (medium.com)
- Chrome Developer Tools for Speed (html5rocks.com)
- Emulation in Chrome DevTools (youtube.com)
- Chrome DevTools: Networking and the Console (code.tutsplus.com)
- Improving Web App Performance with Chrome DevTools (addyosmani.com)
- 7 CSS Tools You Should Be Using
- The Holy Grail of Website Optimization Tools [6 You Can’t Live Without]
- Shopify vs. WooCommerce
- Top 5 Advantages of Magento
- WooCommerce Vs BigCommerce
- 5 Best SSL Certificate Providers: Which Will You Choose?
- The Best VPS Hosting Options for Your Business
- Bluehost Review: a Look at Bluehost’s Web Hosting
- Bluehost vs. HostGator: a Comparison
Marketing Tips for Niche Industries
- Web Design for Excavation Companies: Top 5 Tips (With Examples!)
- 5 Web Design Tips for Fence Installers
- 5 Simple and Successful Web Design Tips for Auto Parts Retailers
- Tips for Medical Website Designs
- Medical Website Design from an Award Winning Agency
- Top 10 Effective Web Design Tips for Auto Service Centers
- Web Design for Renewable Energy: Tips for a Site That Shines
- Insurance Website Design Services
- 5 Web Design Tips for Fertility Clinics
How is your website’s SEO?
Use our free tool to get your score calculated in under 60 seconds.
Get posts by email
Join 200,000 marketing managers and subscribe to Revenue Weekly!
"*" indicates required fields
Join our mission to provide industry-leading digital marketing services to businesses around the globe - all while building your personal knowledge and growing as an individual.