There are different styles of photography that can capture the beauty of life around us. Long exposure photography is one such style that is widely known for producing beautiful and captivating photographs. In this collection, we share with you some truly gorgeous long exposure photos as well as some tutorials on how to take long exposure photos yourself.
A Short Introduction to Long Exposure Photography
Long exposure photography refers to long shutter speeds. Longer shutter speeds mean that more light can get into the lens of a camera. Thus, long exposures are typically used at night, when there isn’t a lot of natural lighting around.
However, photographers soon realized that extremely long exposures produced some unexpected—albeit interesting—results. Thus, the popularity of this technique soon ensued. In terms of traditional cameras that still use film, shutter speed represents the length of time the camera shutter remains open to expose the film.
In DSLR cameras—the weapon of choice for most modern professional photographers—you will see numbers like: 1/8000, 1/4000, and 1/100. These numbers represent seconds or fractions of a second the shutter stays open. A fast shutter speed can catch fast movements and freeze them (which is why this is the ideal setting for sports photography) and a slow speed can blur your image. Consider the following side-by-side comparison of a fast shutter speed versus a slow shutter speed: If you wanted to capture light trails or flows of a stream, long exposure will give you great results because it keeps your shutter open longer to capture and blur the movements together.
Enough theory, let’s dive into some long exposure photographs example now.
Great Examples of Long Exposure Photography
Long Exposure Lighthouse.
Wreck of the Sygna
With many Rivers Ahead
Dead Zone in the Sky
Kola Peninsula Russia
Shores of Time – Big Sur, California
The Chicago Fire
Long Exposure Light Art
Ghosts Walk Among Us
Vivid Tung Chung
Nòria del Tibidabo
Apples in a Spotlight
Train Track Light Trails
More Long Exposure
Holy Long Exposure
Long Exposure 2
Tutorials on Creating Long Exposure Photos
Now that you have seen some wonderful examples of long exposure photography, maybe you want to try this technique. Here are some tutorials that will help you get started:
- Long Exposure Basics
- Different Techniques of Long Exposure
- Long Exposure Night Photography – Step By Step Guide
- Tips For Long Exposure Waterfall Photography
- 8 Tips for Long Exposure Photography
- How to Shoot Light Trails
- How to: take Long Exposure Photos
- Long Exposure Shots
- Long Exposure Tutorial – Video
- Create an Epic Roman Empire Photo Manipulation Scene
- How to Create a 3D Text Photo Manipulation
- 10 Photography Tips from a Self-Taught Photographer
- Excellent Examples of Using Photos in Web Design
- Free Old Paper Stock Photos
- Usability Mistakes to Avoid when Using Photos in Your Website
- The Web Design Trend of Using Large Photos: 30 Examples
- 50 Excellent Photography-Related Tutorials
- 9 Tips for Taking Better Photos with Your Camera Phone
Resources by Industry
- Web Design for Excavation Companies: Top 5 Tips (With Examples!)
- 5 Web Design Tips for Fence Installers
- 5 Simple and Successful Web Design Tips for Auto Parts Retailers
- Tips for Medical Website Designs
- Medical Website Design from an Award Winning Agency
- Top 10 Effective Web Design Tips for Auto Service Centers
- Web Design for Renewable Energy: Tips for a Site That Shines
- Insurance Website Design Services
- 5 Web Design Tips for Fertility Clinics
How is your website’s SEO?
Use our free tool to get your score calculated in under 60 seconds.
Get posts by email
Join 200,000 marketing managers and subscribe to Revenue Weekly!
"*" indicates required fields
Join our mission to provide industry-leading digital marketing services to businesses around the globe - all while building your personal knowledge and growing as an individual.