Transcript: Hello! My name is Casey Pollock, and I’m an Internet marketing consultant and ecommerce SEO subject-matter expert at WebFX. I will be providing a quick overview of SEO for ecommerce sites.
What is ecommerce SEO?
Ecommerce SEO, or search engine optimization, is the process of making your online store more visible in the search engine results pages, and generating more organic traffic from sites like Google, Bing, and Yahoo when people are searching for the products that you sell.
Why does SEO matter for ecommerce sites?
SEO matters for ecommerce sites for many reasons, the most important being that the higher you rank for key phrases surrounding the products that you sell, the more people that will be exposed to your product, and the more revenue you will make.
For an ecommerce store, the website is your storefront and also your sales team. It’s also worth mentioning that for most ecommerce stores, you will be competing against some online giants like Walmart, Target, and Amazon among others. If you want to ensure visibility for your products, a good SEO strategy can help you find profitable and niche keyword phrases that also drive relevant traffic.
What are a few ecommerce SEO best practices?
Focus on long-tail, bottom-of-the-buying-funnel keywords.
These are keywords that often yield the best conversion rates. Write unique and useful content for users, not just for search engines. Focus on content that answers common questions about the product and product usage.
Focus on large-scale, high-impact changes. Ecommerce sites with many products can be large. Template changes will allow you to update the most pages, and also have the highest impact.
And last, but definitely not least, focus on building high-quality product reviews.
How do you improve ecommerce SEO?
As marketers, we’re always looking to improve our online visibility. If you’ve noticed a plateau in your results or are just looking to level up your growth, content is the best place to start.
Duplicate content, thin and unoptimized product descriptions and lacking product reviews are the most common areas of improvement I see when reviewing ecommerce sites.
What are the best ecommerce SEO platforms?
There are a lot of great ecommerce platforms out there to suit the needs of any site and any size. My top two hosted ecommerce options are Shopify and BigCommerce. Two awesome non-hosted ecommerce platforms that I would recommend would be WooCommerce and Magento for larger sites.
How do ecommerce SEO keywords work?
Ecommerce keywords are much different from the keywords being targeted by other types of sites. Other sites will target informational keywords that take the form of “how-to,” “what does,” but an ecommerce site will target more commercial keywords that show buying intent.
For more information on SEO for ecommerce sites and the latest in digital marketing, please subscribe to our YouTube channel.
Table of Contents
- SEO-Friendly Shopping Carts
- 9 Ecommerce SEO Trends for Next Year
- Best Ecommerce Platform for SEO: 6 Ecommerce SEO Platforms
- How to Optimize Your Shopify Store for Shopify SEO in 9 Steps
- 7 Ways to Boost SEO for Product Descriptions
- How to Do Technical SEO for Ecommerce [7 Tips for Getting Started]
- Ecommerce SEO Checklist: Everything You Need to Know to Create an Effective Ecommerce SEO Strategy
- Ecommerce SEO Tools: 7 Tools That Can Help Your Ecommerce Business Drive More Traffic
- SEO Ecommerce Category Pages: 7 Tips to Optimize Category Pages for Ecommerce
Marketing Tips for Niche Industries
- Long Tail SEO Keywords for Medical Practices
- 5 Must-Read SEO Tips for Auto Manufacturing Companies
- 5 Revenue-Driving SEO Strategies for Excavation Companies
- Medical SEO: 3+ Reasons to Invest in SEO for Medical Practices
- Top-of-the-Line SEO Services for Health Insurance Companies
- SEO for Fence Installers
- Successful SEO Tips for Auto Parts Retailers
- SEO for Doctors from WebFX
- 6 Effective SEO Tips for Forklift Dealers
How is your website’s SEO?
Use our free tool to get your score calculated in under 60 seconds.
Join our mission to provide industry-leading digital marketing services to businesses around the globe - all while building your personal knowledge and growing as an individual.