What Is On-Page SEO?
If you have a website for your business online, you likely know and understand the basics of SEO, or search engine optimization. You might even have an SEO campaign in place. But do you understand the different parts of SEO, and that there is both on-page and off-page SEO?
WebFX offers both on-page and off-page SEO plans to take your online business to the next level.check out our SEO packages
On this page, we'll talk about everything that falls under the umbrella term of on-page SEO and talk about how you can maximize your efforts to see the best results.
If you'd like to speak with a specialist about on-page SEO for your website, you can reach us at 888-601-5359.
Defining on-page SEO
On-page SEO is any optimization that you control and include on your website. On-page SEO includes lots of different tactics, including:
- Keyword-rich URLs. URLs for pages in your website should include brief descriptions of the page’s topic. For example, if you have a page about dog daycares in Daytona Beach, a good URL for that would be www.yoursite.com/dog-daycares-in-daytona.
- Keyword-rich page titles. In order to show your website in search engine results pages (SERPs), Google has to know what your page is about. Using specific keywords in the title portion of each page (<title>, </title>) makes it easier for Google’s crawlers to understand your website.
- Keyword optimization. Each page on your site should include text content that discusses the page’s topic. Even pages that are typically not optimized, such as the “Contact Us” page, can help your business gain recognition online. Using keywords throughout the body text of your page helps Google read it and rank it appropriately.
- Alt attributes. Search engines can’t see multimedia, so they depend on alt attributes to tell them what multimedia is. For example, if you have a photo of an apple, your alt tag could say “red-delicious-apple.” Beyond that, you can also add descriptive names to the image files themselves so Google can get a better idea of your multimedia.
- Keyword-rich H1. An H1 is the top heading of each page. These headings can only be used once per page, and they’re great places to use for keywords. However, do not use the same keywords in an H1 as you do in your page’s title!
- Regular content updates. You should regularly add new pages of content to your site so that search engines will see that you’re active online. You can do this with new blog posts, landing pages, and other strategies that show Google you’re hard at work for your customers.
There are other on-page SEO best practices as well, but these are some basics that can help you start ranking. In general, if you’re doing something to your website to improve its SEO value, that’s on-page SEO.
Some of our client Successes
+95% case study ▸ IncreasedConversionRate by
+37% case study ▸ IncreasedLeadsGenerated by
+60% “We measure our success by how much we WOW our clients.”
Bill Craig WebFX President
Maximizing on-page SEO
Now that you know about on-page SEO, you can evaluate your site’s performance. You can either use a tool to audit your site or you can look at separate pages manually, depending on your preference. If you choose to look manually, you can use these criteria as a basis for on-page optimization.
- Are you using keywords for every page? Have these keywords been delivering visitors? If they haven’t been, why are you still using the keywords?
- Are you linking pages on your site to each other? Could this be a way to help visitors get from one point to another with only a click or two?
- Does your site load quickly? Or do some pages take a long time to load? If you’re having problems, find out where the issue lies. A slow-loading website is something neither human nor bot visitors enjoy!
- Does your site have fresh content? Has it been more than one or two years? Has anything changed or is it all still relevant?
Your competitors use SEO too
You probably don’t have to think too terribly hard to come up with your strongest competitors. Unfortunately, they’re also working hard to establish themselves in your industry, and you can be sure they’re utilizing on-page SEO just like you.
If you want to find out what you could be doing better, check out their websites and take a look at what they’re doing. While they probably have a few secrets up their sleeves, you can get tons of information by just checking out a few pages.
Checking out your competition can also show you areas to improve on your own website, strengthening your business as a whole. Begin to more fully develop your on-page SEO, and you’ll be likely to see your own site’s page rankings start to climb over the coming weeks and months.
WebFX knows on-page SEO
WebFX helps companies grow with on-page SEO, and with so many years in the industry, we know that some businesses just don’t have the time to implement it themselves.
That’s where we come in.
We know all of the tricks, tips, and best practices to make sure your business shows at the top of the search results you need to help grow your business. Our award-winning team of Internet marketing professionals shoots for the stars to bolster your company’s bottom line.
Contact us today to make more money online!
Ready to start your Internet marketing and design campaigns? Call 888.449.3239 or contact us online today to learn more about how WebFX can help with your SEO challenges.