80+ Content Marketing Statistics to Inspire Your Content Strategy
Oh, and we dare you to not commit to a content marketing strategy by the end of this post!
P.S. Want to get the latest and greatest tips for creating effective content? Subscribe to Revenue Weekly for actionable advice and insight on marketing your business!
General content marketing statistics
Check out these general content marketing stats.
1. Content marketing costs 62% less than traditional marketing
You want to save money without cutting corners in every area of your marketing campaign. If you look at content marketing statistics, you’ll find this gem of a stat: Content marketing costs 62% less than traditional marketing. When you invest in content marketing, you save money.
It’s more cost-effective than traditional marketing methods. Cutting down on costs while targeting more interested leads is a win-win for your business!
2. Almost 75% of companies surveyed said content marketing helps boost the number and quality of leads they see
If you’re still relying on traditional marketing methods to generate leads, you may want to consider using content marketing. Content marketing enables you to reach people who are interested in your business better than traditional methods. Content marketing enables you to deliver tailored information to your audience.
As a result, you reach more people interested in your business, whereas with traditional methods, you put your ad in front of a bunch of people in hopes of driving interested leads to your store.
3. Nearly 93% of all marketers use content marketing
Although content marketing was a novel idea less than a decade ago, it’s now a staple of the marketing industry. Marketers know that consumers want information—and they’re willing to provide it.
Of course, we know that “because everyone else is doing it” isn’t always a great reason to adopt a strategy. That said, we’re confident in the effectiveness of content marketing—and you don’t want your business to fall behind by staying in that 7% who don’t use it.
4. About 60% of people surveyed said content marketing is either “Very Important” or “Extremely Important” to their marketing.
Of the 60%, about 38% see content marketing as “Very Important.” Publishing content is critical to a successful content marketing strategy.
If you want to create content effectively, you must create and publish it often. Publishing content daily enables you to provide fresh content for both your audience and search engines. You can use a content calendar to help you stay organized.
5. 54% of marketers say content is the most important part of their SEO strategy
Of the marketers who use content, 54% say that it’s the most important part of their search engine optimization (SEO) strategies. There could be many reasons for this, but the most likely is that high quality content helps sites earn links.
When other sites notice that you’ve published something informative, interesting, or entertaining, they may want to share it with their readers. And when they do that, your site appears more authoritative in the eyes of search engines like Google.
6. Marketers who blog are 13 times more likely to see positive ROI
One of the most common content marketing strategies for businesses in all industries is blogging. Adding a blog to your existing site is a fairly simple process, and updating it only requires the amount of time and effort it takes to write a new post.
Despite their simplicity, marketers who manage a blog are 13 times more likely to see positive ROI. That’s a huge jump for a few hours of work per week — and that’s really all it takes.
7. Inbound marketing generates 54% more leads than outbound marketing
Traditional marketing methods (like TV, radio, and newspaper ads) are considered “outbound marketing” because they reach out to customers when they’re not actively looking to learn about products or services. In most cases, these ads actually disrupt what the consumer is trying to do, whether that’s watch a show, listen to music, or read the news.
Inbound marketing, on the other hand, allows consumers to come to you.
Billions of users every day take to search engines to look for answers to their questions, solutions to their problems, and information about specific topics. If your company provides what they’re looking for, you can bring them to your site without interrupting their day-to-day activities.
8. 76% of marketers say they create content aimed towards the bottom of the marketing funnel, where many people convert
If you’re aiming to earn conversions, content marketing is the solution. By creating content, you can increase your website conversion rates. Content marketing helps you provide your audience with the valuable information they need about your industry, products, and services — making them more likely to purchase.
Content marketing also allows you to create content for people who are in different parts of the sales funnel. So, if someone just discovers your business and is building brand recognition, you can create blog posts or videos that provide them with helpful information. For someone at the bottom of the funnel, who’s closer to conversion, you can create content, like sharing a customer’s journey, to help showcase why your brand is a great option.
Hearing a story from a satisfied customer can build up a prospect’s confidence in your business and convince them to convert.
More general content marketing statistics
- Content marketing generates three times more leads than traditional marketing. (Source)
- 72% of marketers believe that branded content is more effective than print ads. (Source)
- 70% of users prefer getting to know companies through articles and not ads. (Source)
- 60% of users cite company-created content for improving their product decision. (Source)
- Businesses that use content marketing see six times more conversions than those businesses that don’t. (Source)
- 80% of decision-makers want articles and not advertisements. (Source)
- 72% of the most successful marketers measure their content marketing’s ROI. (Source)
- 46% of businesses want to increase their content creation spending in 2022. (Source)
- 92% of businesses view content as a business asset. (Source)
- On average, B2C marketers devote 26% of their marketing budgets to content marketing. The most successful content marketers devote 40%. (Source)
- 82% of marketers actively use content marketing. (Source)
- 70% of marketers actively invest in content marketing. (Source)
- Content marketing is the third most prominent source of customer retention (32%). Email marketing is the primary source at 58%, followed by social media marketing at 32%. (Source)
- Content marketing is three times more efficient at generating leads than outbound marketing. (Source)
- 60% of B2C marketers use content marketing strategies. (Source)
- 72% of businesses say that content marketing increases leads. (Source)
- Each year, revenue from content marketing rises by 14%. (Source)
- 91% of firms use content marketing. (Source)
- Half of all marketers spend less than $10,000 per year on content marketing. (Source)
- Every year, global content marketing investment rises by 15.8%. (Source)
- 94% of marketers are budgeting for content marketing. (Source)
- 86% of B2C marketers believe content marketing is a key strategy. (Source)
- 72% of marketers say that content marketing improves user engagement. (Source)
- Only 4% of businesses spend more than $500,000 on content marketing. (Source)
- 73% of the top marketers use content for nurturing their audience. (Source)
- 48% of smaller organizations and 41% of larger organizations have a documented content strategy. (Source)
- 70% of marketers say content marketing helps educate their audience. (Source)
- 81% of marketers believe content is a core business strategy. (Source)
B2B content marketing statistics
Next on our list of stats on content marketing, let’s check out some business to business (B2B) content marketing stats.
37. 84% of B2B marketers outsource their content creation to an agency
As you begin to craft your own content marketing strategy or take inventory of your current campaign, you may wonder if more B2B companies create content themselves or if they outsource it to a digital marketing company. You’ll find that 84% of B2B companies outsource their content creation to another company.
Since content marketing is an in-depth marketing tactic, it requires time for researching, creating, and publishing content. With many B2B companies busy with other projects, they often outsource their content to another company — saving them exponential time and effort.
Explore the Best Content Marketing Companies
38. 60% of the most successful B2B marketers have a documented content marketing strategy, compared with 43% of all B2B marketers
A documented content strategy is critical for driving success, whether you’re a B2B business or a B2C business. If you don’t have a defined strategy for creating and distributing content, you’ll likely miss the mark with your strategy. Having a documented strategy can help your business succeed with your content strategy. When you plan your content, you cover the most important topics and ensure you’re delivering the information your audience wants. You’ll have a more effective strategy when it’s planned and documented.
39. B2B buyers go through 57% of the purchasing process before contacting a sales team
Many B2B companies rely on their sales teams to discuss services with leads and turn them into clients. That worked in the days before Internet marketing when these sales professionals were often a prospect’s first contact with the company.
Now, however, B2B buyers do extensive research before they even consider reaching out to a company. They learn exactly what each one has to offer, what the benefits are, and what the alternatives are like.
This means that if you don’t have comprehensive content, you’re not even a part of their purchasing process.
40. 53% of B2Bs think their content marketing approach is moderately successful
When you look at content marketing stats, you’ll find that over half of B2B marketing companies think their content marketing approach is moderately successful. That compares to 24% who think their approach is extremely to very successful, and 23% who say their approach is minimal to not successful.
It gives the impression that many B2B companies find their content marketing efforts to be middle-of-the-road. They’re driving results, but they could improve to make their content strategy better.
If you want to improve your content marketing strategy, consider partnering with a team of experts like WebFX. We have over a decade of experience in creating content marketing plans that drive results.
Give us a call today at 888-601-5359 or contact us online to learn more about our content marketing services!
41. Businesses that identify themselves as “successful” with content marketing like to use ebooks/white papers, case studies, and social media posts for their content strategy
When you create content, the goal is to effectively drive leads and conversions for your business. The most successful businesses see ebooks/white papers as the best option for their strategy (62%), followed by case studies (47%), and social media posts (43%).
If you are unsatisfied with the traffic, leads, or conversions driven by your content, it’s best to work with a content marketing agency that can help you create successful, engaging pages for your website.
42. 36% of B2Bs are very committed to content marketing, while 20% are extremely committed
Over half of all B2Bs are committed to developing and creating content. Many B2B companies see the benefit of developing content and sharing it with their audience. If you haven’t committed to developing content and you’re a B2B company, you’re likely falling behind your competition.
You need to start developing a content marketing strategy to help you drive leads to your page over your competition’s page. Content creates the opportunity for you to rank in more search results, which can help you drive more leads than your competitors. Additionally, creating quality content can help you rank higher than your competition. You’ll place yourself as an industry leader and encourage more people to trust your business.
More B2B content marketing statistics
- On average, B2B marketers use 13 content marketing strategies. (Source)
- 91% of B2B marketers use content marketing. (Source)
- Just 4% of B2B marketers don’t plan to create a content marketing strategy. (Source)
96% of B2B content marketers use LinkedIn. (Source)
- 64% of B2B content marketers use pay-per-click (PPC) advertising or search engine marketing (SEM) for content distribution. (Source)
- 95% of B2B customers view content as a means of building trust when evaluating a business. (Source)
You're a B2B business with no marketing strategy? We've got you. Download your FREE B2B marketing strategy guide today!Show Me the Guide
Content marketing statistics on content creation and strategy
To round out the last of our marketing statistics, let’s look at some stats on creating content.
48. Content with visuals gets 94% more views than text-only content
When you create content, you want to do more than just put words on a webpage. While the information you put on your site pages is helpful, it can easily overwhelm your audience. You need to add visuals to break up the text and keep your audience engaged.
When you add images and videos to your content, not only do you keep users engaged, but you increase key page metrics like time on page, dwell time, and more — all of which help you page earn higher rankings in SERPs.
49. 84% of people surveyed said they’ve made a purchase because of a company’s video
Videos are a valuable type of content you’ll want to create for your audience. As you can see, 84% of people have made purchases after watching a brand’s video. So, if you’re trying to sell users your products or services, video content creation is a valuable strategy for your business.
You can create videos and integrate them on different pages of your site, like your service pages or product pages. Additionally, you can place videos in your blog posts to help explain topics further and create an element of engagement in your post.
50. The most popular form of content for marketers to create is video, followed by blog posts, and infographics
Content comes in numerous forms. Most businesses, based on these content marketing statistics, focus on videos, blogs, and original data. You’ll want to use a variety of content in your content marketing strategy to keep your strategy fresh and help you appeal to users who enjoy different content formats.
51. It took 65% more time to write a blog post in 2019 than it did in 2014
This stat is one of the most important content marketing statistics you’ll see. Content takes longer to write today than it did in 2014. According to research, content creators went from writing a blog post in 2 hours and 24 minutes to 3 hours and 57 minutes.
So, why is this important? This content marketing stat is important because it speaks to the importance of creating well-researched and thoroughly written content.
Companies are spending more time finding quality information and writing informative content, rather than creating less informative content that is produced quicker. As a result, you may spend more time creating a piece of content, like a blog, but you’re going to create content that’s higher quality and engages more leads.
52. 91% of B2B marketers use social media to distribute their content
Social media is a popular and free method of sharing the content you’ve created with your audience. The next popular form of content distribution is a website or blog (89%), followed by email (87%).
Sharing your content across multiple channels helps ensure that more of your audience sees what you’ve created. To learn how to craft a social media strategy, check out our social media marketing guide.
53. 61% of consumers prefer companies that create custom content
It’s clear that content matters to consumers. But if you want yours to be effective, it needs to be tailored to their individual needs.
Many businesses make the mistake of lumping all of their potential customers into one or two groups. And although the consumers who purchase from you likely have some things in common, they aren’t all the same.
Instead of attempting to create one-size-fits-all content, spend some time researching your audience and creating personas. Then, write blog posts, articles, and anything else that will help address their individual interests.
54. The average user spends 88% more time on pages with videos
Want to keep visitors on your site longer? Start adding videos.
Videos are more time-consuming to produce than text-based content, but they’re also more engaging. This is especially true with complex topics, where visitors would rather have a video walk them through a subject instead of reading paragraph after paragraph of difficult material.
55. 22% of businesses want to create more original content
When you look at content marketing statistics, you’ll find that many businesses want to create more original content. Not only does original content help you stand out from your competition, but it can also help you be one of the first in your industry to provide information on a specific topic. Original content can also help you earn more backlinks.
Backlinks are fundamental to improving your SEO ranking so you can drive more traffic to your page. By creating original content, more people will link to your information because it’s an original source.
More statistics on content creation and strategy
- 51% of businesses that invest in content marketing publish content every day. (Source)
- 22% of marketers said want to prioritize making their content more visual. (Source)
- People have twice as many interactions with brands on mobile than anywhere else. (Source)
- 77% of content marketers use educational content to nurture their audience. (Source)
- 63% of content marketers use their content marketing strategy to build loyalty with existing clients. (Source)
- 33% of B2B marketers expect to increase their budgets for digital events. (Source)
- 40% of B2C content marketers evaluate their competitors once a year or not at all. (Source)
- 89% of content marketers include blogging in their content marketing strategy. (Source)
- 55% of marketers say blog post creation is their top priority when it comes to inbound marketing. (Source)
- 91% of marketers say they’re satisfied with the ROI of their video marketing on social media. (Source)
- 72% of marketers say content creation is the most important SEO tactic. (Source)
- The average blog post is 1142 words long. (Source)
- 84% of those using infographics report that they’re effective. (Source)
- Marketers who use video generate 66% more leads per year. (Source)
- 75% of marketers say that SEO is the most efficient content marketing technique. (Source)
- 61% of marketers say that updating and repurposing existing content is the most efficient content marketing tactic. (Source)
- Posts than contain numbered and bulleted lists generate 70% more traffic. (Source)
- Posts with images generate 2-4 times as much traffic as those without. (Source)
- The average amount of time spent watching videos increased by 85% in 2020. (Source)
- 88% of content marketing teams utilize web analytics tools. (Source)
- 60% of marketers create content every day. (Source)
- 81% of marketers plan to create more original written content. (Source)
- Before 2021, 53% of marketers modified their content distribution and promotion approach. (Source)
- 64% of marketers want to learn how to create a better content strategy. (Source)
- 94% of marketers adjusted their content marketing strategy due to the COVID-19 pandemic. (Source)
- 78% of chief marketing officers (CMOs) believe custom content is the future of marketing. (Source)
- 44% of people typically consume three to five pieces of content before they engage with a company. (Source)
Get started with your content marketing strategy today
Content marketing is a valuable strategy for helping you grow your business online. After looking at these content marketing stats, you can see the impact of content and how it can help your business grow. Creating content can be a huge undertaking, but WebFX is here to help.
With our team of over 500 experts, we’ll help you craft compelling content that gets your audience to engage with your business. Additionally, with our software, MarketingCloudFX, you can personalize your audience’s experience and deliver the content they love. Additionally, this software will help you manage, and nurture leads towards conversion and we can help you with our search engine marketing company.
Give us a call today at 888-601-5359 or contact us online to speak with a strategist!