25+ Amazing Email Marketing Stats [INFOGRAPHIC]
Email marketing is a unique part of Internet marketing. It’s an incredible medium that lets you stay in contact with your customer base and encourage repeat customers day after day, and it pays dividends.
It’s also one of the few forms of direct outreach that people actually want. Practically nobody likes junk mail, and nobody likes spam. But people love email marketing. Whether you’re sending offers, tips, secrets, or anything else, as long as it’s helpful, your recipients will enjoy it.
But those are just general statements — what are the actual stats on email marketing’s success?
Last updated March 2021.
Did you know?
Did you know that for every dollar you spend on email marketing, you typically receive $44 in return?
Not to mention, lead nurturing strategies, including email marketing generate 50% more leads for 30% less investment.
Email marketing is a versatile strategy
When asked about email marketing, in general, most marketers agree that email marketing is the best strategy for:
With such versatility, you can almost guarantee that email marketing will work for the marketing goals you have in place.
Speaking of versatility, since users can access their emails on desktops, tablets, and smartphones, you should also consider some important mobile email stats.
Did you know that 70% of people read their email on a mobile app? That means that you should always create a responsive version of your email so that all users can see the content properly.
Furthermore, emails that display incorrectly on mobile may be deleted by recipients within three seconds.
Users are obsessed with email
Check out these stats that prove that people are obsessed with their inbox:
- 66% of people say that checking their email is the first thing they do in the morning.
- The average person checks their email about 15 times per day.
- On average, people spend more than 5 hours per day checking their email.
How people interact with emails
How do email open rates vary across industries? Check out the stats below!
- Real estate has the highest email open rate with 26%.
- Electronics companies see the lowest email open rate with 19%.
- Retail emails fall somewhere in between with a 23% open rate.
And what happens when emails don’t display properly?
- 71.2% of recipients delete emails that don’t display properly.
What if an email comes from a brand that the recipient knows and loves?
- 70% of people say they open emails from their favorite companies.
Email synergizes with social media
Emails with social buttons included increase clicks by a staggering 158%.
How to succeed with email marketing
When it comes to succeeding with email marketing, there are a few stats that speak to what works.
- 75% of marketers think that email is suitable for automation.
- Personalized calls to action perform 202% better than generic ones.
- Button-based CTAs get 28% more clicks than text CTAs.
- The two biggest factors in email open rates are who sent the email and the subject line.
What does the future of email marketing look like?
According to these stats, we can take a peek into the future of email marketing:
- Focus on lead generation: 89% of marketers say email is their primary lead generation channel.
- More list segmentation: List segmentation yields 39% more opens and 28% fewer unsubscribes.
- SMS marketing: Email subscribers under 25 prefer text messages to email.
- More personalization: Personalization yields 26% more opens.
What about email automation?
Earlier, we mentioned that three-quarters of marketers believe that email is suitable for automation. Here are some stats to support the success of email automation:
- 91% of users say automation is important to their success.
- Marketing automation typically yields a 34% increase in revenue.
- Triggered emails have 75% higher open rate than regular email marketing.
- Companies using automation earn 53% more conversions overall.