Macy StormSenior Content Creator
- July 7, 2023
- 9 minute read
- Macy is a marketing writer with over five years of experience creating content for dozens of industries including food and beverage, home services, and education. She also specializes in creating SEO and PPC content. Her work has been featured by Search Engine Journal, HubSpot, Entrepreneur, Clutch, and more. In her free time, Macy enjoys trying new crafts and reading comic books.
If you want to reach new business leads, consider using Facebook. In this post, we’ll discuss how to advertise on Facebook, plus offer tips for your ad campaign.
So, keep reading!
Don’t miss our Marketing Manager Insider emails!
Join 200,000 smart marketers and get the month’s hottest marketing news and insights delivered straight to your inbox!
Enter your email below:
Inline Subscription Form – CTA 72
“*” indicates required fields
(Don’t worry, we’ll never share your information!)
Why advertise on Facebook?
Before we answer your question, “how do I advertise on Facebook,” let’s explore why you should.
There are many reasons why you should promote your products and services on Facebook. Here are just a few of the many benefits of Facebook advertising:
- Boost your online visibility: Facebook ads reach the top of users’ timelines, regardless if they currently like or follow your business page. That means you can reach tons of potential customers as they scroll through their updates.
- Target the people most likely to become customers: Facebook ads also allow you to use advanced audience targeting features to ensure your ad reaches the people most interested in your products or services every time. You can target users based on their age, location, and much more!
- Launch a variety of ad formats: Unlike Google search ads, you can launch a variety of different ad types on Facebook, including videos and images. You can also set various objects to target users at different stages in their buying journey.
How to advertise on Facebook
So, you’re ready to start advertising on Facebook, but how do you start? Begin your campaign by reading these seven steps for how to advertise on Facebook:
- Choose your objective
- Target your audience
- Choose your ad type
- Set your budget
- Use the Facebook pixel
- Test your ads
- Track your performance
1. Choose your objective
The first step for how to advertise on FB is choosing your objective. When you run an advertising campaign, it’s essential that you establish why you’re running that campaign. Every advertising campaign should have a focus. On Facebook, you have numerous options for choosing an ad objective:
- Brand awareness: Building brand awareness is common in advertising campaigns. You want people to get to know your brand so they will follow your social media page or choose your business when they’re ready to make a purchase.
- Reach: If you’re looking to build up your followers and earn new leads, reach is a great goal. You can set a goal to reach a certain number of people.
- Engagement: Many companies will set their goal to increase engagement by a certain percentage. Engagement is a great way to build brand recognition and get leads to choose your business down the line.
- App installs: If you’re running a Facebook ad for your app, you can set app installs as your campaign goal. By doing this, you can track every time someone downloads your app from your ad.
- Video views: If you run a video advertising campaign, you can set an objective to get a certain number of video views.
- Lead generation: Lead generation is a great goal if you’re looking to increase the number of followers on your Facebook page. You can run an ad to encourage people to follow your business.
- Conversions: Most businesses run ads that focus on conversions. These ads typically direct people straight to a product or service to purchase it.
2. Target your audience
Once you know your objective, you’ll decide who you’re trying to target. Your target audience is the group of people that are most interested in your advertising content.
You want to reach people that are most likely to engage with your ad. Facebook is a great place to target people precisely. You can get very specific with the network’s targeting options.
Facebook allows you to target people based on their age, gender, location, language, interests, and buying habits. This precise targeting allows you to reach the most relevant leads interested in your business. It’s a great way to drive better results with your campaign.
To set your target audience, you must think of who is most likely to buy your products or use your services. You can use your current customer base to get an understanding of who takes an interest in your products and services and create a lookalike audience. This will help you determine who to target and how to advertise on Facebook.
3. Choose your ad type
After you establish your target audience, you’ll focus on your ad type. Facebook offers a few advertising formats for your business. Here are the four main formats:
- Photo ads: Photo ads are a commonly used ad type on Facebook. These ads have one photo, typically of your product or service, which showcases your marketing message.
- Video ads: These ads are an extremely popular format for business because people love videos and take time to watch them. Video ads autoplay when people scroll past them, so they immediately engage users and catch their interest. These ads are a great way to show your product or service in action.
- Carousel ads: Carousel ads use up to 10 videos or photos to showcase products or services. This format often highlights different benefits of a product or showcases multiple products under one umbrella topic. For instance, if you were interested in leather jackets, a clothing store might show you multiple styles of leather jackets in hopes that one catches your interest.
- Slideshow ads: These are short video ads formed from a collection of still photos and video clips. They have eye-catching motion like videos, but they use less bandwidth. These are an excellent option for your business if you want to use something easier to run.
These are the four main formats of ads that you’ll encounter when setting up your Facebook ad.
4. Set your budget
The last crucial step for how to advertise on FB is setting your budget. You want to ensure that you know how much you’re going to spend on your Facebook advertising campaign.
Facebook ads operate similarly to pay-per-click (PPC) ads. You pay when someone engages with your ad. You’ll set a maximum bid amount, which is the maximum amount you’re willing to pay when someone clicks on your ad. You can either set a daily or lifetime budget for your campaign.
You set the daily budget each day, and once you hit that daily amount, your campaign stops running until the next day. With a lifetime budget, you have a set amount for the duration of your campaign.
Choosing how much you want to spend on your campaign will help you stay on track with your budget while still running an effective campaign.
5. Use the Facebook pixel
If someone viewed one of your products previously, there’s a good chance that they’re still in the purchasing decision process. They’re trying to figure out which product is right for them.
By using the Facebook pixel, you can retarget these leads and get them to choose your company. The Facebook pixel is a small piece of code that you place on your website.
Using this tool, you can track conversions and remarket to people who previously viewed a product on your site. It provides an excellent opportunity to remarket to customers on Facebook.
Using Facebook pixel for your remarketing strategy is a great way to help your business earn conversions.
6. Test your ads
Testing your ads is crucial to the success of your campaign. The first version of your ad will never be the best version of your ad. It takes testing and optimizing for you to put out the best version of your ad for your audience.
When you run your Facebook advertising campaign, conduct A/B testing. Testing allows you to compare how different elements perform when running your ad.
For instance, you can test how different call to action (CTA) buttons affect your ad’s performance. You might do a comparison test between using “learn more” and “buy now” as your CTA buttons.
In your original ad, you may have thought that “buy now” was the best CTA button for that ad. After testing, you may find that “learn more” gets more engagement on your ad than “buy now.” Testing is crucial to ensure that you’re putting out your best content.
7. Track your performance
The key to how to advertise on Facebook successfully is tracking and monitoring your performance. If you want to put out the best ad, you must focus on how it’s performing and how you can improve.
You can track numerous metrics related to your campaign’s performance. You’ll see how many people see your ad, engage with it, click on it, and convert. These metrics are great for understanding how your audience perceives your ad.
By tracking your ad’s performance, you’ll be able to improve your ad’s performance and drive better results. For example, tracking your ad’s performance can help you determine when to advertise on Facebook.
If your ads typically perform best on the weekends, for instance, you could allocate more of your budget to running ads then. Measuring your ad performance can also help you determine your ideal ad types, target audiences, and more.
Not happy with your social media engagement?
We’ve got just the blog post for you.Read the Blog Post & Watch the Video
Start advertising on Facebook today
Facebook advertising is an excellent way to help your business grow. By running Facebook ads, you’ll reach more valuable leads that are interested in your organization.
Now that you know how to advertise on Facebook, you can take the first step toward growing your business with Facebook ads.
Macy is a marketing writer with over five years of experience creating content for dozens of industries including food and beverage, home services, and education. She also specializes in creating SEO and PPC content. Her work has been featured by Search Engine Journal, HubSpot, Entrepreneur, Clutch, and more. In her free time, Macy enjoys trying new crafts and reading comic books.
WebFX is a full-service marketing agency with 1000+ client reviews and a 4.9-star rating on Clutch! Find out how our expert team and revenue-accelerating tech can drive results for you! Learn more