Abby FieldsBranded Content Specialist
- November 4, 2022
- 7 minute read
- Abby is a data-driven content marketer with certifications in inbound marketing and content marketing. She’s written hundreds of articles covering digital marketing topics — a few of her specialties include first-party data, marketing and data analytics, marketing strategy optimization, and SEO. When she isn’t writing or optimizing content, Abby loves to spend time reading the latest mystery novel, having movie marathons with lots of snacks, and jamming out to Shania Twain.
But those kinds of numbers don’t just happen on their own. You need an effective blueprint to craft a strategy that drives results — and that blueprint is called an SEO roadmap.
Keep reading to get the inside scoop on how to create an SEO roadmap for 2023 that will drive revenue for your business!
Pro Tip: Wondering how your site’s performing in the search results? Wonder no more with our free SEO Checker! Try it out for yourself to get a free SEO audit along with tips to improve your rankings. It only takes a few seconds!
What is an SEO roadmap?
An SEO roadmap is a strategic plan you use to keep your SEO techniques organized and on track. Think of it like an action plan. It details the tasks and techniques you will implement, along with when and how you will implement them. It’s a perfect way to keep your entire team on the same page to ensure your strategy drives the best results.
How to create an SEO roadmap in 2023
Creating an SEO action plan is the best way to implement and manage a strategy that boosts your search engine rankings and drives traffic to your website.
Here’s how to create an SEO roadmap in 2023:
- Consider your business goals
- Choose your SEO techniques
- Consider what tools and resources your team will need
- Assign specific team members to each task
- Make a timeline to keep your team on track
- Continuously measure your website’s performance
1. Consider your business goals
Think carefully about what you want to achieve. Then, consider how your SEO strategy will help you reach those goals.
2. Choose your SEO techniques
Now that you’ve thought about your business goals, it’s time to choose your SEO techniques. Like we talked about above, you want to choose SEO tactics that will help you reach your goals.
There are several SEO tactics you can implement, such as:
- Local SEO
- Keyword implementation
- SEO content creation
- Link building
- Voice search optimization
- Mobile-friendly optimizations
- User experience optimizations
- Page speed improvements
- And more
For example, if you want to drive more foot traffic to your physical store location, you’ll want to implement a local SEO strategy.
Or perhaps you want to increase your brand awareness and drive more traffic to your website. An SEO content strategy can create more opportunities to rank at the top of the search results when your target audience needs answers and solutions.
3. Consider what tools and resources your team will need
The next step for how to create an SEO roadmap is to consider what tools and resources you’ll need to implement and manage your strategies.
SEO tools and platforms are essential to your strategy’s success. They can help you lay a strong foundation to set your strategy up to drive revenue right from the jump.
Additionally, you can use a content idea generator, like our free blog post idea generator, to get inspiration for your next piece of content. Then, check if your content is easy for people to read and understand by using a free readability test.
Use our proprietary keyword research tool, KeywordsFX, to help you find high-quality keywords for content and PPC campaigns. Identify Top Keywords for Free
4. Assign specific team members to each task
Now that you’ve established the SEO strategies you want to implement along with the tools and resources you need, your next step is assigning team members to each strategy and task.
Suppose you want to implement multiple SEO techniques, like content, local SEO, or technical website optimizations. In that case, you’ll want to specify who will make those implementations in your roadmap. This keeps your entire team on the same page and everyone will understand their role.
For example, if you’re creating SEO content, you can specify who will write, edit, and publish your content. And if you’re making web design optimizations, you can assign team members who will optimize your site navigation and others who will make your website mobile-friendly.
5. Make a timeline to keep your team on track
Making a timeline for your SEO roadmap strategy is critical. It gives you and your team a deadline to keep your work focused and on task.
First, choose a period of time for your roadmap. Depending on the strategies you want to implement, this could range from just a month to over a year.
You can then further segment your timeline into phases. For example, if you’re creating SEO content, you can set a timeline to publish 30 new pages each quarter.
If you can’t implement all your strategies at the same time, consider prioritizing the tasks with the most potential to drive revenue for your company first followed by your less-urgent tasks.
6. Continuously measure your website’s performance
The last step in creating your SEO roadmap strategy is to establish a schedule in your roadmap to track your website’s performance.
For any SEO strategy to be successful, you need to improve constantly. And to improve, you’ll need to continuously measure your website’s performance in the search results.
By tracking your SEO results, you can better understand which techniques and strategies drove the best results for your business. As a result, you can identify any problem areas and optimize your strategies to ensure they always drive the best results for your business.
There are plenty of platforms and tools available that make tracking your SEO performance a breeze. Google Analytics helps you easily keep track of your web traffic, along with valuable audience data.
You can also use advanced marketing technology, like our in-house revenue-driving software, MarketingCloudFX. MarketingCloudFX helps you analyze your website’s current search engine performance, including your current keyword rankings, the sources of your web traffic, and much more.
Why do you need an SEO roadmap?
There are many reasons why you need an SEO roadmap, including:
- Keeping your SEO strategy organized and on track
- Building a strong foundation to set your strategy up for success
- Answering any questions from your team or management about your SEO plans
- Keeping your team on the same page about their tasks and goals
- Optimizing your SEO plans to consistently drive revenue
Your roadmap is essentially your SEO blueprint. It holds all your plans, including the strategies you want to implement, the tasks you need to accomplish to achieve your goals, and the resources you need for success.
Without a plan, you’d just be throwing random techniques at the wall to see what sticks, which ultimately won’t drive revenue for your company.
Independent research from Clutch has named WebFX the
top SEO company in the United States.
Clutch has personally interviewed more than 250 WebFX clients to discuss their experience partnering with us.Read More Clutch Reviews
Build an SEO roadmap that drives revenue with WebFX
Need help building an SEO roadmap strategy that helps you outshine your competitors in the search results and drive more traffic to your site? We can do that.
WebFX is an award-winning SEO agency specializing in crafting personalized SEO strategies that drive incredible results for our clients.
Abby is a data-driven content marketer with certifications in inbound marketing and content marketing. She’s written hundreds of articles covering digital marketing topics — a few of her specialties include first-party data, marketing and data analytics, marketing strategy optimization, and SEO. When she isn’t writing or optimizing content, Abby loves to spend time reading the latest mystery novel, having movie marathons with lots of snacks, and jamming out to Shania Twain.
WebFX is a full-service marketing agency with 1000+ client reviews and a 4.9-star rating on Clutch! Find out how our expert team and revenue-accelerating tech can drive results for you! Learn more
- What is an SEO Roadmap?
- How to Create an SEO Roadmap in 2023
- 1. Consider Your Business Goals
- 2. Choose Your SEO Techniques
- 3. Consider What Tools and Resources Your Team Will Need
- 4. Assign Specific Team Members to Each Task
- 5. Make a Timeline to Keep Your Team on Track
- 6. Continuously Measure Your Website’s Performance
- Why Do You Need an SEO Roadmap?
- Build an SEO Roadmap That Drives Revenue with WebFX
How Is Your Website’s SEO?
Use our free tool to get your score calculated in under 60 seconds.