- 4 min. read
WebFX TeamDigital Marketing Agency
- The WebFX team is made up of more than 450 subject matter experts in digital marketing, SEO, web design and web development, social media, and more. Together, they’ve helped WebFX’s clients earn more than $3 billion in revenue from the web — and that’s just in the past five years. @webfx
Our InterviewFX series continues! In this exclusive series, we offer you insights and tips from marketers, entrepreneurs, authors, and other notable industry experts. Today, we’re extremely excited to bring you an interview with Jon Gordon, one of our absolute favorite authors here at WebFX.
We don’t just read Jon’s books — we live them. His Wall Street Journal Bestseller The Energy Bus has become not only a must-read for our team members, but it’s also inspiration for how we work every day. We even have posters on the wall and flyers on our desks to remind us of Jon’s “10 Rules for the Ride of Your Life.” The rules of The Energy Bus offer great advice, including getting rid of “Energy Vampires,” or people who suck the energy out of the room with complaining and negativity.
Jon recently had a chance to talk with us about his No Complaining Rule, Energy Vampires, and the importance of getting everyone onto The Energy Bus. Keep reading to check out what Jon has to say!
1. What’s one small change a manager or business owner can make that can have a big impact on everyone in the organization?
They can implement the No Complaining Rule, which says that people in the organization are not allowed to complain unless they offer a solution to their complaint. Instead of focusing on problems this leads to each person in the organization to focus on new ideas, better processes, and innovations. It also creates buy-in where employees feel like they are empowered to make a difference.
As long as the manager and owner is willing to listen to and consider the complaints and solutions, the No Complaining Rule will have a big impact.
2. What’s the best way to deal with negative people, or “Energy Vampires,” if you absolutely have to be around them?
The best way is to encourage them to be more positive. Try to transform them.
If this doesn’t work, then isolate them and make sure they don’t infect the rest of the organization with their negative energy. Have them do what they do best and keep them from interacting with others.
3. Why is it important to have everyone on your team/company on the Energy Bus and not just almost everyone?
Because when you have a group of people who are all united with a shared vision, focus, and purpose you will accomplish amazing things. If a few people aren’t on the bus, you won’t have the same unity, teamwork, synergy, and energy that causes great teams and organizations to thrive.
4. WebFX has an ongoing learning program that allows employees to read, learn, and develop additional skills through free access to over 300 books in our library. What is your opinion of programs of this nature, and their impact on teams in the workplace?
I think these programs are priceless and powerful! When you help your people learn and grow they will in turn grow the organization.
I have spoken to many companies who have these types of programs and they make a huge difference. The best organizations are always striving to get better, and reading is a key part of getting better.
5. When people read your books, what surprises them the most?
I think what surprises them most is that the story is engaging and the lessons are simple and powerful. Most are surprised that they can read them in a day or a very short period of time. Jon Gordon’s best-selling books and talks have inspired readers and audiences around the world.
His principles have been put to the test by numerous coaches and teams, Fortune 500 companies, schools, hospitals, and nonprofits. He is the author of numerous books including The Wall Street Journal bestseller The Energy Bus, Soup, The No Complaining Rule, Training Camp, and The Carpenter.
The WebFX team is made up of more than 450 subject matter experts in digital marketing, SEO, web design and web development, social media, and more. Together, they’ve helped WebFX’s clients earn more than $3 billion in revenue from the web — and that’s just in the past five years.@webfx
WebFX is a full-service marketing agency with 1000+ client reviews and a 4.9-star rating on Clutch! Find out how our expert team and revenue-accelerating tech can drive results for you! Learn more