Abby FieldsBranded Content Specialist
- June 30, 2022
- 7 minute read
- Abby is a data-driven content marketer with certifications in inbound marketing and content marketing. She’s written hundreds of articles covering digital marketing topics — a few of her specialties include first-party data, marketing and data analytics, marketing strategy optimization, and SEO. When she isn’t writing or optimizing content, Abby loves to spend time reading the latest mystery novel, having movie marathons with lots of snacks, and jamming out to Shania Twain.
Your company’s growing, taking on more customers, clients, data, and processes as it expands. How do you maintain your business operations alongside increasing tasks and marketing needs?
On this page, we’ve compiled the ultimate guide for how to build a marketing technology stack in 2024. Plus, we’ll explore how you can use marketing technology to drive revenue for your business.
So keep reading to learn more!
And don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter, Revenue Weekly! Our subscribers get the latest advice about how to harness the power of marketing technology to drive revenue sent straight to their inbox for free!
What is a marketing tech stack?
A marketing tech stack is a collection of software or platforms you use to manage, track, and optimize your marketing strategies. A marketing technology stack can be a compilation of anything from web analytics software and social media tools to customer data platforms (CDPs) and enterprise resource planning (ERP) options.
How is a marketing tech stack used?
Now that you know the answer to the question, “what is a marketing tech stack” you might ponder another question: “How is a marketing tech stack used?”
You can use marketing technology to:
- Automate repetitive marketing tasks
- Track the success of your marketing campaigns
- Analyze and interpret strategy results
- Collect and store customer data
- Optimize your marketing strategies and results
By creating a marketing technology stack, you build a powerful collection of marketing technology that helps you easily manage your marketing strategies.
Why do you need a marketing tech stack?
Sure, a martech stack sounds nice, but is it really necessary? Yes! Using marketing technology is critical if you want to grow your business and expand your reach.
For example, marketing technology helps you:
- Save time and resources: Instead of spending countless hours completing repetitive marketing tasks, like bidding on ads or posting content to social media, you can let your software do it for you.
- Track and analyze your results: Tracking the success of your marketing strategies is crucial, and it’s no easy task to go at it alone. Martech helps you easily measure and interpret your campaign results, so you can make adjustments that drive more revenue.
- Implement personalized messages: Marketing technology also helps you collect and store data about your customers and website visitors. You can use this information to create more personalized marketing messages that resonate with your audience and encourage them to convert.
Building a marketing technology stack is one of the best ways to earn the highest return on investment (ROI) for your marketing efforts.
How to build a marketing tech stack in 2024
Ready to start crafting the ultimate martech stack that drives revenue for your business?
Here’s how to build a marketing tech stack for 2024 in five easy steps:
- Think about your primary marketing strategies and goals
- Consider any challenges you and your team face
- Establish your marketing budget
- Research tools and software for your marketing tech stack
- Analyze the success of your technologies
1. Think about your primary marketing strategies and goals
Your goals will ultimately influence the technology you choose to invest in, so it’s crucial to establish your goals and strategies first.
2. Consider any challenges you and your team face
Suppose you already have an established marketing strategy in place. In that case, it’s an excellent idea to think about any challenges you and your team currently face when implementing and managing your campaigns.
Maybe your sales team finds tracking your client’s contact information challenging, making it tricky to reach out with their sales pitches. In this case, you’ll want to seek a platform that helps you collect and store client and customer information for your whole team to easily access.
Your current challenges are just as important as your goals and primary strategies when building your martech stack.
3. Establish your marketing budget
Now that you’ve set up your goals and thought about the marketing strategies you want to invest in or optimize, it’s time to consider your marketing budget.
Before you start researching tools, you want to think about how much funds you can allocate to them. You don’t want to build your dream martech stack only to discover it’s out of budget in the end.
Your budget will set the line for how much you can spend on software and help you narrow down your options when it comes to tools and platforms.
You can create a budget for an entire strategy or establish a budget per tool on a monthly, quarterly, or yearly basis. Since most marketing platforms offer monthly subscriptions, creating a monthly budget is one of the best options.
4. Research tools and software for your marketing tech stack
Now that you’ve established your goals, current challenges, and marketing budget, it’s finally time to start building your marketing tech stack.
When researching the best software for your company, you can look to helpful blog posts and articles to get a general idea of what’s out there.
For example, if you want to improve your keyword research, you can check out a list of the best keyword research tools. To collect valuable customer and client data, you can browse a list of the best customer relationship management (CRM) platforms.
When researching software, you’ll want to look at its:
- Price: Does it fit into your marketing budget?
- Features: Will it help you achieve your goals and alleviate your challenges?
- Reviews: Have others had success with it?
By keeping these ideas in mind when researching, you’ll find software that’s the perfect fit for your business.
5. Analyze the success of your technologies
Now that you’ve researched the technology you want to use, it’s time to try it out and analyze its success.
In many cases, you can try the software for free for a limited time to test it out and ensure that it helps you achieve your business goals. This way, you can try out various platforms for free to find the perfect fit at no extra cost.
If you find that your current platform isn’t up to scratch or helping you effectively manage your campaigns, cancel your subscription and try out a different tool.
By analyzing the success of your chosen technologies and making changes as you need, you can build the perfect marketing technology stack that drives revenue for your business.
Create a powerful marketing tech stack that drives results with WebFX
If you’re ready to build a powerful marketing technology stack that drives revenue for your business, WebFX can help!
Our award-winning martech software, MarketingCloudFX, can help you manage and optimize your marketing strategies and operations in one platform. MarketingCloudFX comes equipped with various features that help you track and manage leads, analyze campaign results, collect customer data, and much more.
Plus, our team of over 500 marketing experts is always on hand to help you use our software to achieve incredible results.
Abby is a data-driven content marketer with certifications in inbound marketing and content marketing. She’s written hundreds of articles covering digital marketing topics — a few of her specialties include first-party data, marketing and data analytics, marketing strategy optimization, and SEO. When she isn’t writing or optimizing content, Abby loves to spend time reading the latest mystery novel, having movie marathons with lots of snacks, and jamming out to Shania Twain.
WebFX is a full-service marketing agency with 1000+ client reviews and a 4.9-star rating on Clutch! Find out how our expert team and revenue-accelerating tech can drive results for you! Learn more