As we transition more and more from analog to digital, businesses are finding that they need to follow suit. Even power and utility companies, with their distinctly real-world services, must follow their customer base into the digital world.
Let WebFX help you learn how to generate digital leads and maximize your online efforts!
37% of marketers say that generating high-quality leads was one of their biggest challenges.
We want to decrease that percentage.
WebFX can help you generate high-quality leads with a customized marketing strategy.Learn More About Lead Generation Services
4 digital lead generation strategies for power and utility companies
The best way to approach digital lead generation is the same way you’d approach it through traditional channels. Just like you might use billboards, direct mailers, and radio commercials to generate as many leads as possible, you can use multiple digital strategies to reach every sector of your audience.
Here are four strategies to get you started generating digital leads.
1. Invest in SEO
Search engine optimization (SEO) helps you optimize your website for search engines. The goal is to get your ranking as high on search engine results pages (SERPs) as possible, generating more organic traffic that can turn into leads. The higher your ranking, the better your click-through rate (CTR).
You can handle your SEO in-house or hire a professional agency to:
- Target keywords and phrases that potential leads might use in a search.
- Create compelling title tags for your pages.
- Create clear URLs that users will remember and search engines will understand.
- Optimize user experience so your website is pleasant and easy to browse.
- Add internal links to connect your pages, making it easier for search engines to index your content.
- Develop quality content like articles, blog posts, infographics, and videos to attract potential leads.
2. Embrace content creation
Whether you use it on its own or as part of an SEO strategy, content creation attracts leads by providing information they find interesting and useful.
Developing your reputation as a helpful, reliable source will help you build trust with your potential leads. Building that trust is a crucial step in convincing them to depend on your company for essential utility services.
In addition to trust, you’re building brand awareness. Creating content people want to share helps you get your name in people’s minds. The most valuable content will provide the answers your prospective leads are looking for.
Investigate the most popular questions about the utility you offer and create content that answers them. Some examples might include:
- How to lower your energy bill.
- The benefits of energy-efficient appliances.
- Tips to stay cool in the summer.
- Advice for electrical safety during the holidays.
3. Spread awareness with social media
A social media presence is essential in today’s market. Like content creation, social media gives you a chance to generate interest and awareness. It also lets you connect directly with your leads and develop more personal relationships with them.
Social media offers several benefits that can help you build or solidify your brand:
- Your audience is already there: When you choose the social media platform your target audience prefers, you’re directing your marketing efforts at the leads you’re most likely to convert.
- Social media is made for sharing: Posting your content to your social media account makes it easy for people on the platform to share it.
- Leads can see your softer side: The casual nature of social media gives you the opportunity to share things that might not be suitable for a professional website. Making occasional human interest posts like staff profiles, birthday announcements, and behind-the-scenes office tours can help humanize your online presence.
4. Expand your presence with pay-per-click ads
You can find pay-per-click (PPC) ads across the Internet, on search engines, social media platforms, and other websites. Their popularity is due primarily to the fact you only pay for your ad when someone clicks on it.
When you start a PPC campaign, your first step is deciding what ad you want to use. Some of the best PPC ads for power and utility companies include:
- Paid search ads: These all-text ads appear at the top and bottom of SERPs. You’ll choose your keywords and place a bid — if your bid wins, your ad will show each time someone uses those keywords in a Google search. If you plan to use these ads, start with keyword research to find the phrases utility leads are most likely to use.
- Display ads: These ads use a combination of an image and text and display on Google’s partner sites. Instead of choosing keywords, you’ll choose your audience based on demographics, interests, or previous online activity.
- Social media ads: These ads appear directly in social media feeds, so you’ll want to choose the platform most popular with your audience. Like display ads, social media ads target audiences rather than keywords.
3 ways to make the most of your lead generation strategies
Now that you’re familiar with a few lead generation strategies, you’ll need to put them into action. Here are a few starting points to help you get the ball rolling!
1. Ensure your website and technology are user-friendly
Attracting leads is only the first part of the journey. If you want to keep them, you’ll need to make sure everything is as user-friendly as possible.
When people visit your website, they want to find what they’re looking for easily. Go through your website and ensure:
- Your pages load quickly and smoothly.
- The text is clear and readable.
- Navigation between pages is simple and intuitive.
- You’re using responsive design to adapt your site for different browsers and devices.
2. Strengthen your company’s image with social branding
You can use your social media platforms for social branding, establishing and reinforcing your company’s reputation online. Consistency is crucial in social branding, so be sure you’re following your brand style guide.
Social media also allows consumers to interact with your company more directly, helping to humanize your brand. You can encourage engagement by soliciting questions from users about your area of expertise. Establishing yourself as a resource will help position you as a trustworthy authority, and a quick response demonstrates that you’ll be there for your customers when they need you.
3. Be available and responsive
If you want to attract leads that will turn into customers, it’s essential to provide quality customer service. However, the customer service experience begins long before your leads convert into customers.
Make yourself available and easy to connect with for leads who want to reach out. Ensure your contact information is easy to find — you can add a contact form to your website and post your information in multiple places, including any social accounts.
You should also make it a point to follow up on leads. A good customer experience is crucial for 73% of customers in developing loyalty to a company. Answer inquiries quickly, and be sure to follow up with offers of further information.
Finally, it’s essential to show you listen to your customers and value their feedback, as 77% of consumers prefer brands that seek and apply customer feedback. Respond to any feedback as soon as possible and note how you plan to address any concerns or complaints.
Your world-class, tech-enabled marketing agency with over 1.6 million hours of combined expertise.