The great thing about jQuery is that talented jQuery developers often release new and useful plugins on a regular basis. jQuery plugins are not only easy to implement, but easy to maintain even when used throughout large sites.
In this article, we share with you a list of 20 useful jQuery plugins that were released recently that could help you for your next web project. There are various types of plugins here such as modal windows, image galleries, auto complete for form input, bookmarking functions, preloaders, and more.
This jQuery plugin is a flexible and straightforward way of providing modal window functionality on your site.
2. Panel Gallery
Panel Gallery is an image slideshow with a unique transitional effect. It transitions to another image in a sequential panel manner.
3. Easy Image Gallery
Creating image thumbnail galleries is a snap when you implement the Easy Image Gallery jQuery plugin into your site’s template.
nyromModal is a useful jQuery plugin that has a robust set of features and options for you to truly create a customized modal window for your web pages.
PikaChoose is a super lightweight image gallery that’s a cinch to integrate into your website. You can see it in action on the Belvedere Inc website.
6. Image Overlay Plugin
The Image Overlay Plugin lets you present more information about your images. Hovering over an image reveals associated text on top of it.
If you’re creating a web app that supports image cropping, this can be the client-side function that lets your users select rectangular areas of an image.
Do you need a sliding div panel at the top (or bottom) of web pages that can contain more links or your login/sign-in feature? Check out SlideBox.
10. Single Drop Down Menu
11. Auto Complete
Are you trying to build a custom search feature for a site? The Auto Complete jQuery plugin can supercharge your form inputs with additional user feature.
12. jQuery Iconize
jQuery Iconize allows you to reduce or expand page elements into an “icon state”, providing your web app a user-friendly way of minimizing page objects.
13. Inline Text Edit
Web developers looking to provide users with a basic in-page text editor should take a look at the Inline Text Edit jQuery plugin.
This jQuery plugin allows you to display a progress bar for page components that are being downloaded – useful for image galleries that share large-scale photos.
Growl allows you to present DOM-inserted elements (divs by default) that are perfect for user warnings, messages, and status update notifications.
16. jQuery Bookmark
Sharing your content in social news and networking sites requires little else than implementing the jQuery Bookmark plugin.
17. Mouse Over Animation for Text
MOAText is a spiffy jQuery plugin for giving you the ability to animate HTML text triggered when the mouse cursor hovers over them.
OverScroll lets you move around by holding down a mouse button and moving it, similar to how the iPhone allows you to move around a screen by finger gestures.
jQDialog is a jQuery plugin for exhibiting unobtrusive modal windows for in-page notifications that can replace the
Uploadify is a package written on top of jQuery that gives you both the client-side and server-side functionality you’ll need to handle single-file and multi-file uploads.
Can you suggest more plugins that we’ve overlooked? Have you used any of the plugins above? Share your thoughts and opinions in the comments!
- Create a Slick and Accessible Slideshow Using jQuery
- 40 Exceptional jQuery Interface Techniques and Tutorials
- 14 jQuery Plugins for Working with Images
About the Author
Kawsar Ali is a web designer, graphic designer, and wannabe photographer based in NY, U.S. He’s also the founder of Desizntech, a site on tips about web design, Mac, PC and more. If you’d like to connect with him, you can follow him on Twitter or at his Personal Website.
- Poka-Yoke in User Interface Design
- Factors That Affect Usability
- The Future of User Interfaces
- Creating a User Interface That Speaks Your Users’ Language
- User Interface Patterns for Dealing with Interactive Content
- Progressive Disclosure in User Interfaces
- Usability Testing With Card Sorting
- How Cognitive Biases Shape User Experience
- 10 Important UI Design Considerations for Web Apps
Marketing Tips for Niche Industries
- Web Design for Excavation Companies: Top 5 Tips (With Examples!)
- 5 Web Design Tips for Fence Installers
- 5 Simple and Successful Web Design Tips for Auto Parts Retailers
- Tips for Medical Website Designs
- Medical Website Design from an Award Winning Agency
- Top 10 Effective Web Design Tips for Auto Service Centers
- Web Design for Renewable Energy: Tips for a Site That Shines
- Insurance Website Design Services
- 5 Web Design Tips for Fertility Clinics
How is your website’s SEO?
Use our free tool to get your score calculated in under 60 seconds.
Get posts by email
Join 200,000 marketing managers and subscribe to Revenue Weekly!
"*" indicates required fields
Join our mission to provide industry-leading digital marketing services to businesses around the globe - all while building your personal knowledge and growing as an individual.