Showcasing your work in portfolio format allows you to highlight your exceptional skills online to help you stand out from the rest. In a competitive world, you want to ensure you are recognized and headhunted for your accomplishments. Having a polished online portfolio helps you achieve these options.
Things to Consider When Choosing a Free Portfolio Website
You need to understand your aim when you’re reviewing websites to create and publish your portfolio. Ask yourself the following questions:
- Does the site offer a variety of templates to choose from that will accentuate my personal brand?
- Is the interface user-friendly for beginners with no coding experience?
- Can the site be adapted for mobile users?
- Is the website optimized for search engines so I can rank high for potential employers to find me?
- Can I integrate my social media accounts for maximum exposure?
- Do they offer custom domains?
- Do they provide enough storage for my data and content?
- Can I obtain visitor analytics and insights to monitor my site’s performance?
- Do they offer prospective clients a contact form if they wish to reach out?
- Will I have a good support structure if I need help or get stuck?
These questions are like a checklist that will help you filter through the best sites since hundreds are available.
We’ve compiled a few free portfolio websites in no particular order that will give you the platform to shine. Go through this comprehensive checklist to see if they tick the relevant boxes before you settle on any given site.
If you’re interested in the web designs WebFX offers, check out our project quote calculator for an estimate of the pricing. We’re eager to work with you to get your website up and running in no time!
For now, check out some of the free portfolio websites out there.
The 6 best free portfolio websites that will make you stand out
By far the frontrunner in website building and hosting, WordPress’s reputation exceeds that of its competition. It boldly asserts dominance by claiming 43% of the web using it. If you’re a blogger or writer, this one’s for you.
You can literally develop any website content with WordPress. Create a blog, newsletter or video and share your free online portfolio on the World Wide Web. It’s quick and easy to sign up.
WordPress has various pricing plans to suit your budget, ranging from free to enterprise, depending on your needs.
2. Journo Portfolio
Like WordPress, creatives will enjoy the tailored portfolio options Journo Portfolio offers. Its unique selling point includes the option to import various multimedia content to your portfolio for a truly custom experience.
Although the free plan limits you to ten portfolio items, the Pro and Unlimited options will open a door of possibilities. Some of the perks you’ll enjoy include:
- Access to the content builder which allows you to display your expertise in different formats.
- Access backups anytime, so you never lose your content online.
- For added security, enable password protection and hide your portfolio so it’s not discovered by unwanted visitors like your current employer.
- Send updates to prospective subscribers by publishing new weekly content.
- Monitor your site’s performance for trends.
- Sell your goods and services and promote purchases through your site.
Journo is an all-in-one portfolio management website you can use to its fullest potential.
Wix is one of the most popular free portfolio websites around. It ranks high on Google SERPs and is used worldwide by amateur web creators to host content like portfolios.
Some of its main features include:
- A large variety of website template designs in different categories to choose from.
- Unlimited access to free websites with the option to upgrade to premium for more benefits.
- Build your site from nothing or use a template to help.
- Expand your business with payment options as a premium user.
Wix won’t let you down. It’s user-friendly and easy to create a website.
Webflow allows you to build your own portfolio website code-free. While it offers various website services, this blog features 25 top portfolios created using its free online tool. It’s literally showcasing your work by showcasing their work, or rather their ability to host your online portfolio for the world to see.
What’s unique about this approach is that it emphasizes an array of completely different portfolios in style and context while giving you insight into what they offer. It also gives you ideas on how to create a portfolio if you’re unsure where to start.
With Webflow, creating your free portfolio website is easy. Click on the link in the top right corner to get started and you’ll have access to your dashboard any time you need to make changes. Kick things off using their tools to build from scratch or prepopulate templates.
You’ll enjoy the simplistic nature of Odoo from the moment you access the site. Its sleek, modern, white-space interface is easy on the eye and the introductory video on creating a website is catchy and uncomplicated.
What sets it apart from other sites is that your free portfolio website includes hosting and a domain name, which usually costs a lot to purchase.
Here are some other cool available features when designing your website:
- An AI Designer that configures your website by determining its purpose.
- Customizable blocks to drag and drop content.
- Assorted gradients for pops of color.
- Exciting animations and effects that will bring your content to life.
- Mobile-friendly HTML5 capability.
- No restrictions on images that are copyright-free.
There are many more facets that you’ll enjoy when you create your free online portfolio with Odoo.
Behance has one of the largest selections of portfolio design templates you’ll find. When you access the site you’re greeted with a myriad of examples, getting straight to the point without the fuss and frills.
These samples show you what you’re capable of and help spark ideas for what you can add to your own portfolio. To create one, click on the Explore Adobe Portfolio tile and you’ll be directed to get started.
There are countless categories to explore, each with even more portfolio illustrations making it ideal for creatives who enjoy exceptional content.
Spotlight your creative portfolio
Whatever your website design needs, we’ve got you covered. WebFX has over 25 years of experience in SEO and web design, so you’re in good hands.
Call us at 888-256-9448 or request a custom quote for your next website design project.
Trevin serves as the VP of Marketing at WebFX. He has worked on over 450 marketing campaigns and has been building websites for over 25 years. His work has been featured by Search Engine Land, USA Today, Fast Company and Inc.
WebFX is a full-service marketing agency with 1000+ client reviews and a 4.9-star rating on Clutch! Find out how our expert team and revenue-accelerating tech can drive results for you! Learn more