Sina MchunuResearch & Tech Content Writer
- December 30, 2022
- 5 minute read
- Sina is a marketing expert who specializes in SEO, AI, and digital marketing content. With over five years of experience, she’s written hundreds of pieces, spanning a variety of topics and industry niches. She loves combining her strong eye for detail and passion for storytelling in her work. You’ll find her fruit picking or horse riding at the local farm when she’s not writing.
With the advent of Google’s responsive sponsored ads, it’s never been easier to show your ads to people interested in your offerings.
The increased word counts and the ability to dynamically combine headlines and body copy into a single ad make search advertising efficient for reaching a wide range of target audiences with targeted messaging.
Plus, it gives you greater command over your ads by letting you pin the headline in one position for more precise targeting. But that’s not all — read on to discover more benefits of pinning headlines in Google Ads.
Here’s a brief outline of what we’ll be covering in this post:
- What is a headline pinning feature in Google Ads?
- How does pinning headlines work on Google Ads?
- Top 5 benefits of pinning headlines in Google Ads
- Best practices for pinning headlines in Google Ads
- Create revenue-generating responsive ads
But first, join our community of 200,000 advertisers and get the best insights and practices on how to run successful, responsive paid ad campaigns without breaking your business wallet.
Don’t miss our Marketing Manager Insider emails!
Join 200,000 smart marketers and get the month’s hottest marketing news and insights delivered straight to your inbox!
Enter your email below:
Inline Subscription Form – CTA 72
“*” indicates required fields
(Don’t worry, we’ll never share your information!)
What is a headline pinning feature in Google Ads?
The headline pinning feature in Google Ads is a function that allows you to “lock” assets to appropriate positions in your ads, therefore defining where specific headlines appear. It lets you control Google’s permutations by pinning a headline to a particular spot in the final ad.
How does pinning headlines work on Google Ads?
Pinning headlines works best on ads with specific headlines that must appear with every display. For instance, if you have three displaying headlines, you might try pinning the ones that include your target keywords to the top and place a call-to-action (CTA) at the end.
You can also pin numerous headlines to the same position to ensure that at least one appears in every ad in that spot. This action aids in making sure you are aware of all the potential choices that may appear in a given position.
Top 5 benefits of pinning headlines in Google Ads
We’ve already established that pinning headlines in Google Ads allows you to fix a title at a specific spot in the final ad and exert more control over the combinations Google may use.
But there’s more to it than that. Here are five more benefits of pinning headlines in Google Ads:
- Tests the effectiveness of your online advertising campaigns
- Facilitates demographic ad targeting
- Drives targeted users to your website
- Directs traffic to your web pages
- Promotes direct-response products or services
1. Tests the effectiveness of your online advertising campaigns
One of the greatest benefits of pinning headlines in Google Ads is that it can help you evaluate whether your ad campaign strategy is attracting the right prospects.
You can use a pinned headline as a research tactic to learn more about what resonates best with your target audience and the efficacy of your advertising strategies.
2. Facilitates demographic ad targeting
The headline pinning feature in Google Ads can enable you to target people of a specific gender, age bracket, educational level, family status, and household income.
Pinning headlines that work can help you reduce your ad spend by focusing on specific demographic subsets to increase the quality of the clicks you receive on your ads while reducing the volume of unqualified visitors to your website.
3. Drives targeted users to your website
One of the best advantages of pinning headlines in Google Ads is that it helps attract targeted audiences with a greater potential for converting into paying customers. It’s the best way to create buzz for your advertising campaigns.
For example, if your brand is introducing a new product and running limited-time deals and offers as part of its online advertising campaign, pinning relevant headlines in Google Ads might attract high-quality prospects eager to receive your offers to your site.
Questioning the quality of your SMB’s PPC performance?
Get your FREE PPC audit from WebFX today!
4. Directs traffic to your web pages
It’s no secret that websites with frequently updated, well-optimized content see the most success from search engine optimization (SEO). Using this method regularly may earn you a solid ranking position and propel your website’s links to the very top of search engine results.
5. Promotes direct-response products or services
The ability to effectively promote services, products, or niche brands has to be among the best advantages of pinning headlines in Google Ads. It helps you drive in prospects in the market specifically for your goods or services and are ready to make instant purchases.
You can accomplish this by creating a sense of urgency by incorporating phrases like “limited time offer” or using direct CTAs such as “Buy Now” in your headlines.
Traffic attracted through PPC advertising yields 50% more conversions than organic advertising.
Are you leveraging PPC in your marketing efforts? Let’s get started.View the Guide
Best practices for pinning headlines in Google Ads
Now that you know a few advantages of pinning headlines in Google Ads, let’s get you set with the best practices for creating and pinning headlines.
Following are some of the best practices you can employ:
- Use all 30 characters to write an attention-grabbing headline that compels readers to click through to your site.
- Write three headlines for each ad that will display above your website’s URL to grab the attention of your target audience.
- Incorporate CTAs in your headlines because people are more inclined to respond when subconsciously prompted.
- Use high-performing keywords in the headlines to ensure that your ads are more effective and relevant.
- Use the display examples next to your ad during creation to ensure that your headlines and descriptions flow naturally together.
It’s always best to ensure that your headlines are catchy and can generate the desired results before you pin them. You can leverage pay-per-click (PPC) testing to test offers, opt-ins, and CTAs, and then start pinning what works best.
Time to Level Up Your Sales
Our long list of services helps you grow every aspect of your business with marketing strategies that are proven to increase bottom-line metrics like revenue and conversions.
In the past 5 years, we’ve managed more than 12.9 MILLION transactions across our client base.
Create revenue-generating responsive ads with WebFX
Are you looking for a partner to help with your paid advertising campaigns? With a recommendation score that exceeds the industry average by 488% and over 500 specialists, WebFX is the go-to choice for businesses that need a committed, knowledgeable, and reliable digital advertising team.
Sina is a marketing expert who specializes in SEO, AI, and digital marketing content. With over five years of experience, she’s written hundreds of pieces, spanning a variety of topics and industry niches. She loves combining her strong eye for detail and passion for storytelling in her work. You’ll find her fruit picking or horse riding at the local farm when she’s not writing.
WebFX is a full-service marketing agency with 1000+ client reviews and a 4.9-star rating on Clutch! Find out how our expert team and revenue-accelerating tech can drive results for you! Learn more