Google Analytics Certification: How to Prepare & Ace the Exam
When you run a search engine optimization (SEO) campaign, you get an abundance of data that gives your company insight. This data helps you run a campaign that drives better results, from more organic traffic to more revenue.
With a Google Analytics certification, you can make the most of Google Analytics in your SEO strategy and leverage various reports, data points, and more to grow your business and improve your rankings in search results.
On this page, we’ll discuss how to get certified in Google Analytics, whether it’s worth getting the certification, and how to prepare for the exam.
Google Analytics certification process: How to prep for the exam
If you want to secure your Google Analytics certification, it’s vital that you understand the four-step process for getting certified in Google Analytics.
- Take Google Analytics exam prep courses
- Review the Google Analytics exam material
- Take the Google Analytics certification exam
- Pass the Google Analytics exam and claim your certification!
Let’s break down each step.
1. Take Google Analytics exam prep courses
The Google Analytics certification requires taking and passing an exam. This certification isn’t the type of test you can do without preparation. Google Analytics has complex layers that will need time studying to learn the ins and outs of the platform.
If you want to get Google Analytics certified, you need to prepare. To start getting ready for the assessment, take Google’s various analytics courses to help you gain valuable knowledge that you need to pass the exam.
There are four main courses you’ll want to look at to get your certification:
- Google Analytics for Beginners
- Advanced Google Analytics
- Google Analytics for Power Users
- Getting Started with Google Analytics 360
These courses will help you prepare for your certification.
As you take each course, take notes. There is a lot of information that this certification will cover, so you want to document the core points to review before your exam.
By taking the selected courses, you’ll be more prepared for the exam.
2. Review the Google Analytics exam material
Once you’ve done those courses for the certification exam, you’ll want to take the next step in preparing for your exam. The best way to do this is by studying your notes for the exam and knowing what to expect on it.
You want to know how the exam is broken up.
Is the test multiple sections, for example, or one long section? How long do you have to finish the exam? What types of questions will the test have?
When you know what to expect, you’ll feel more prepared.
Let’s look at the critical information you need to know about the Google Analytics Individual Qualification (IQ) exam:
- The exam is broken up into subject sections: When you take the assessment, you will get tested on different subjects. This format will allow you to focus on different aspects of Google Analytics, one at a time.
- All the questions are multiple choice: Like most online exams, you can expect to see all multiple-choice questions when it comes to the Google Analytics certification test.
- You have 90 minutes to complete the exam: Google gives you 90 minutes to complete your certification.
- There are 70 questions on the exam: When you take the Google Analytics Individual Qualification exam, expect to answer 70 questions. You cannot skip questions or go back to others. You must answer them as they come up in your test.
- You cannot pause the test: Previously, Google allowed you to pause the exam when needed. This break does not exist anymore. When you are ready to take the assessment, you must sit down for the full 90 minutes or however long it takes you.
- You must get an 80% or higher to pass: Google requires that you obtain a score of 80% or higher to pass. If you don’t reach that score, you will have to retake the exam.
- You can retake the exam: If you don’t pass the exam the first time around, don’t worry! You can retake the assessment after a day and try to get your certification again.
This information gives you insight into what to expect from your exam.
3. Take the Google Analytics certification exam
When you feel prepared, take the certification exam.
With all the knowledge and study resources we’ve listed above, you’ll be ready to take your test. Make sure you have anything you need to take your exam, like a bottle of water, a pen, or a notepad.
4. Pass the Google Analytics exam and claim your certification!
If you pass the test, you will receive a certificate saying that you passed. You can add this certificate to your website or resume. If your company is a Google Partner, you can see the document in that account.
When you pass the exam, you will have to retake the assessment in a year.
Google requires that you keep your certification fresh each year, which can help refresh your knowledge and learn about new features, reports, or tools.
Is Google Analytics certification worth it?
The Google Analytics Individual Qualification certification is well worth your time. With this certification, you will pick up an abundance of useful analytic knowledge that will help you understand Google Analytics better.
You’ll gain in-depth insight into Google Analytics, which will help you better understand your website data. Plus, your certification enables you to become a qualified web analyst for your company.
All these benefits allow you to understand your SEO campaign better and produce more valuable results for your business.
Is a Google Analytics certification free?
Yes! It is free to take the Google Analytics certification exam. Even if you fail the exam, you can take it over again without having to pay a thing.
4 tips for passing your Google Analytics certification on the first try
Let’s take a look at four tips for earning your Google Analytics certification:
1. Use Google’s Analytics Academy
When you’re preparing for the Google Analytics certification, you can start by going into Google’s Analytics Academy. These are the courses we listed above.
If you don’t want to complete all the courses, take the ones that will add the most value to your experience. These courses are Google Analytics for Beginners and Advanced Google Analytics. Classes like these provide you with valuable insight.
When you take these courses, you’ll learn about Google Analytics and get valuable information for your exam. These courses will help you get to know Google Analytics (and use it) so that you can perform better on your test.
2. Visit the Google Analytics YouTube channel
If you want to get a thorough understanding of Google Analytics, you can rely on Google’s YouTube channel to provide you with more knowledge. Google has an abundance of videos on their channel to provide you with additional insight into Google Analytics.
Videos are an excellent way for you to learn about Google Analytics. Google Analytics can be complicated and difficult for people to understand. Videos provide a new perspective to help you digest information.
You can see tons of videos on their YouTube channel to help you understand different concepts. If you’re struggling on a topic, try and see if you can find a video on their YouTube channel to help clarify what you don’t understand.
3. Think about what resources you may need during the exam
When you prepare for your exam, you can have resources to help guide you through the test. You can use these sources to help assist you through your assessment.
While it’s tempting, don’t rely on cheat sheets. You won’t learn anything from using one of these sheets on the exam. Try to refrain from using cheat sheets so that you can learn the material.
So, what sources should you use for your exam? You can use sources like:
These resources will help you get the right answers and reinforce your knowledge.
4. Take practice exams
Practice exams are a great way to help you practice for your Google Analytics certification.
These tests will help you get in the mindset of taking the certification assessment. It’s a great way to practice with the types of questions you’ll get on the test.
By taking practice exams, you will be more prepared to take the real one.
It’s a great way to help you nail your Google Analytics certification.
Stay in the know about Google Analytics with WebFX
The Google Analytics certification exam helps you become even better at SEO.
When you become Google Analytics certified, you can create a more effective SEO campaign. With a knack for Google Analytics, you can drive results for your business because you understand the data and how you can use that information to grow your company.
If you want to learn more about Google Analytics and how you can turn your data into revenue for your business, sign up for our weekly newsletter to stay in the know about Google Analytics, receive helpful tips, and actionable advice!