Maria CarpenaEmerging Trends & Research Writer
- June 12, 2023
- 8 minute read
- Maria is an experienced marketing professional in both B2C and B2B spaces. She’s earned certifications in inbound marketing, content marketing, Google Analytics, and PR. Her favorite topics include digital marketing, social media, and AI. When she’s not immersed in digital marketing and writing, she’s running, swimming, biking, or playing with her dogs.
Interactive marketing definition: Interactive marketing is a marketing strategy that uses visuals, videos, games, and other formats to encourage your audience to engage with your content. When executed well, it captures your audience’s attention and provides a delightful customer experience.
Every marketer wants their brand to stand out among their competitors and provide a memorable, delightful experience to their prospects. Thanks to new technologies, marketers can come up with creative ways to attract their audience’s attention and engage them with interactive marketing.
This blog post will discuss these interactive marketing topics, so you can start employing these tactics for your business:
- What is interactive marketing?
- 6 types of interactive marketing
- 3 interactive marketing examples
- 5 benefits of interactive marketing
Don’t miss our Marketing Manager Insider emails!
Join 200,000 smart marketers and get the month’s hottest marketing news and insights delivered straight to your inbox!
Enter your email below:
Inline Subscription Form – CTA 72
“*” indicates required fields
(Don’t worry, we’ll never share your information!)
What is interactive marketing?
Interactive marketing is a marketing tactic encouraging your audience to engage or communicate with your business. It captures your audience’s attention and provides a delightful customer experience.
How does interactive marketing provide a pleasant customer experience?
Interactive marketing uses any of the following to get your target audience’s attention and provide a delightful experience as you present your brand:
6 types of interactive marketing
Brands can engage their prospects and customers with different interactive marketing types throughout the different stages of the sales funnel:
- Polls and quizzes
- Live streaming and interactive videos
- Interactive storytelling
- Solution finders
Let’s go through each one:
1. Polls and quizzes
If you’re looking for a fun way for your audience to interact with your website or content, create a poll or a quiz about a relevant topic. Websites like Buzzfeed have created various quizzes covering their audience’s different interests. You can also employ this tool for your brand.
Polls and quizzes are excellent interactive marketing ideas to integrate with social media marketing, as they are highly shareable and engaging.
For example, let’s say you own a travel agency offering different packages to various travel destinations, activities, and budgets. You can create a quiz helping your prospects identify the packages that best suit them: A relaxing beach getaway, a city tour visiting libraries and museums, or camping.
2. Live streaming and interactive videos
Through live streaming, brands and influencers can broadcast and interact with their audience in real-time. For example, let’s say you’re a business-to-business (B2B) company at B2B expo. Livestream the activities at your booth and invite online users to attend the exhibition.
Do your viewers have questions about the event? Interact with them in real-time and answer their questions on your broadcast.
Meanwhile, interactive videos have calls to action (CTAs) that invite viewers to subscribe to the brand’s channel or take another action like answering a survey.
3. Interactive storytelling
Fun fact: Content with visuals gets 94% more views than text-only content. Elevate your site visitor’s experience on your page by adding visuals and other interactive elements for immersive storytelling.
When applicable, sprinkle any of the following interactive elements to keep readers engaged in your long-form storytelling:
- Clickable maps
- Clickable charts
Do your prospects need to get an estimate of your product’s cost or the savings they’ll get? Calculators are one of the excellent interactive marketing ideas you can develop for your audience.
For example, let’s say you’re in the automotive dealership business. Your prospects can use an online car mortgage calculator tool while they browse your products.
5. Solution finders
Like calculators, solution finders are helpful tools for your audience and prospects. Solution finders guide your site visitors to the right product or service for their needs.
For example, let’s say you’re a real estate realtor. A handy solution finder is a property finder. Let your site visitor input their budget, preferred location, and property size. Your property finder will list proposed properties that suit your audience’s qualifications!
Did you know that more than 47 million U.S. adults have access to a smart speaker? Businesses can leverage this stat by using audio for their interactive marketing tactics.
Amazon audio ads, for one, enable you to interact with audiences through an Alexa-enabled device. For example, after your audio ad tier, prospects can prompt Alexa to add your product to their carts through voice command.
3 interactive marketing examples
Now that you know the different interactive marketing types, let’s look at some examples to inspire your strategy:
1. Ikea Place using augmented reality
Ikea Place is an app from the furniture store that lets you “try” its furniture pieces using augmented reality (A.R.). It’s a great tool to engage online shoppers to browse Ikea’s products and picture them as if they’re placed in the customers’ homes.
Retail brands can add A.R. as one of the interactive marketing ideas they can explore.
2. Iams’s dog breed selector using a quiz
Instead of listing down the qualities of each dog breed and letting site visitors read through them, Iams employs an interactive quiz to aid users in finding the breed most suited for them. After answering 14 multiple-choice questions, a site visitor discovers breeds suited to their lifestyle.
Other industries can take inspo from Iams’s quiz. If you offer various products and services that address the unique needs of different buyer personas, explore using quizzes in your interactive marketing strategy!
3. Mazda CX-90’s launch using a poll, survey, and interactive video
Mazda USA created buzz around its first-ever CX-90 using a variety of interactive marketing ideas. On the day of the launch, the brand released a video on its YouTube channel and answered questions from its audience on social media.
Before the launch, Mazda USA created an event on Instagram so its followers could opt in to get an event alert and elicited questions from its audience. The brand also drummed up the excitement with a quiz and poll.
5 benefits of interactive marketing
Now that you know the different types of interactive marketing and some examples to inspire your strategy, let’s go through the benefits of interactive marketing on your business:
- Immediate feedback from your audience: Because interactive marketing enables your audience to communicate with you, they can instantly give you feedback. In addition, a user’s behavior on your site also informs you about its navigation and ease of use.
- Differentiate your brand from your competitors: Interactive content encourages participation from your audience. Because your prospect is involved in this marketing tactic, they’re more likely to remember the experience and your brand than a competitor’s static content.
- Increased reach and engagement on social media platforms: Certain interactive marketing types like quizzes are highly shareable. You can also integrate other interactive marketing strategies with your social strategy, thus boosting your social media platforms’ reach and engagement.
- Audience segmentation: Based on your interactions with your audience, you can gain insights into your brand’s different buyer personas and create segments accordingly.
- Personalized interaction with your audience: With interactive marketing, you learn more about your audience’s preferences based on their feedback. As a result, you can craft personalized messages for your different customer segments.
Our digital marketing campaigns impact the metrics that improve your bottom line.See More Results
WebFX has driven the following results for clients:
In client revenue
Leads for our clients
Client phone calls
Get started with interactive marketing with WebFX
Are you ready to delight your customers with interactive marketing strategies? If you need help to get started, look no further than WebFX.
We’re a full-service digital marketing agency with over 25 years of experience, generating over $3 billion revenue for your clients. We’re just as excited as you are to provide your customers with an engaging and memorable journey.
Our team of 500+ experts will take the time to understand your business, needs, industry, and competition, so we can craft interactive marketing strategies that will make you stand out from your competition.
Maria is an experienced marketing professional in both B2C and B2B spaces. She’s earned certifications in inbound marketing, content marketing, Google Analytics, and PR. Her favorite topics include digital marketing, social media, and AI. When she’s not immersed in digital marketing and writing, she’s running, swimming, biking, or playing with her dogs.
WebFX is a full-service marketing agency with 1000+ client reviews and a 4.9-star rating on Clutch! Find out how our expert team and revenue-accelerating tech can drive results for you! Learn more
- What is Interactive Marketing?
- 6 Types of Interactive Marketing
- 1. Polls and Quizzes
- 2. Live Streaming and Interactive Videos
- 3. Interactive Storytelling
- 4. Calculators
- 5. Solution Finders
- 6. Audio
- 3 Interactive Marketing Examples
- 1. Ikea Place Using Augmented Reality
- 2. Iams’s Dog Breed Selector Using a Quiz
- 3. Mazda CX-90’s Launch Using a Poll, Survey, and Interactive Video
- 5 Benefits of Interactive Marketing
- Get Started with Interactive Marketing with WebFX