One thing that boosts online conversion rates is accurate “scent trails.” Your ad should match your page content should match your branding should match your links…etc. And it starts with your domain name. When you’re a brand new, unique company (like Google or WebFX), there are no pre-associations about what your site should be. No scent trail to follow.
Google.com could just as easily have been a horse farm in Iowa. But if you have a service or keyword as your domain name, your site better be a great resource for information about that keyword. Like birdfeeders.com.
You had a mental image of what to expect from birdfeeders.com, right? Birds and feeders all over the place. The site communicates, “you’re in the right place.” Depending on your domain, you don’t have to go all out.
Here’s the two best sites that fulfill their domain name scent trail:
This may come off as a little snarky, but it’s a really valuable resource. Twitter goes down often for different people, and this is an easy way to see if its you or the network. People visiting this site have only one question, and it gives them what they want front and center on the homepage.
Another, similar design.
This one makes a point about the hype surround swine flu in a clear and concise way. How does your website measure up?
- 8 Excellent Tools for Picking a Domain Name
- I Never Meta URL Like You Before: A Short Domain Name Trick
- What Is a Website Domain and How Does It Work?
- How to Buy a Domain Name in 5 Easy Steps
- How to Get a Website Domain (and Other FAQs)
- What Is My Domain Worth? How to Find It and What Impacts Domain Value
- 8 Best Domain Valuation Tools for Your Business
- The Best Domain Registrars for Your Company
- Domain Expiration and Renewal: The Complete Guide
Resources by Industry
- Successful Digital Marketing For Auto Manufacturing Companies
- 7 Key Digital Marketing Ideas For Doctors
- Learn 5 Ways to Drive Revenue With Digital Marketing for Excavators
- 3 Most Common Mistakes in Medical Marketing
- Digital Marketing for Financial Insurance
- Top 3 Digital Marketing Methods for Fence Installers
- How to Get Patients: 5+ Ways to Attract More Patients to Your Practice
- Grow Your Practice With Our Medical Marketing Company
- 4 Digital Marketing Strategies for Apartment Managers
How is your website’s SEO?
Use our free tool to get your score calculated in under 60 seconds.
Get posts by email
Join 200,000 marketing managers and subscribe to Revenue Weekly!
"*" indicates required fields
Join our mission to provide industry-leading digital marketing services to businesses around the globe - all while building your personal knowledge and growing as an individual.