SEO Campaign Management: The 2024 Step-by-Step Guide
On this page, we’ll dive into how you can successfully manage your SEO campaign and our favorite best practices to help you earn a top spot in the search engine results pages (SERPs). So keep reading to learn more!
Learn how we increased traffic by over 40%, and conversions by over 100% for an ecommerce client.Read the Case Study
What is SEO campaign management?
SEO campaign management is the practice of planning, tracking, and optimizing the performance of your SEO strategy to help you boost your search engine rankings. By managing your SEO campaign, you can improve your strategy to drive more revenue for your business.
What does SEO campaign management involve?
So now that you know the answer to the question, “what is SEO campaign management,” you might wonder what it involves.
You must manage your SEO campaign effectively to create a successful strategy that propels you to the top of the SERPs.
Here are three essential steps you should follow to manage your SEO strategy:
Before you plan your SEO strategy you need to conduct research. You’ll want to research:
When planning your campaign, ask yourself questions like:
- What keywords is my target audience searching online?
- What are my competitor’s current rankings in the SERPs?
- Which SEO ranking factors do I want to focus on?
- How do my products and services provide value for my audience?
- What can I do differently to help my website stand out from my competitors in the search results?
Researching your audience, competitors, and SEO factors is crucial in managing a successful strategy.
2. Website optimization
The most significant step in managing your SEO strategy is optimizing your website. Making effective optimizations is the key to unlocking higher rankings and web traffic for your company.
There are several areas of your website you can improve to boost your rankings. For example, you can:
- Optimize your title tags and header tags
- Insert keywords throughout your site
- Create custom content
- Improve user experience
- And much more
Optimizing your website can be a long process that takes time. It’s also important to remember that it can take time to see meaningful results from your optimizations. But you shouldn’t let this discourage you!
In fact, most companies start seeing results four to six months after implementing their strategy.
3. Report and analyze
Another essential step in managing your SEO strategy is to report and analyze your results.
Measuring the success of your campaign is essential to see which techniques and optimizations produced the best results for your company.
You can create monthly or quarterly reports to help you track your organic traffic, leads, and conversions. Then, you can analyze your results to identify which tactics improved your rankings and traffic the most so you focus on these strategies in the future.
How to manage your SEO campaign: 7 best practices for success
Are you ready to get started with your SEO campaign management?
Here are seven of our favorite best practices to follow to implement a successful campaign that helps you outrank your competitors in the SERPs:
- Set clear goals for your SEO strategy
- Audit your website
- Conduct keyword research
- Optimize on-page elements
- Optimize off-page elements
- Create high-quality content
- Track your results
1. Set clear goals for your SEO strategy
One key element of managing your SEO campaign is to plan your strategy thoroughly. And to plan your strategy, you need to establish clear goals.
While the primary goal of SEO is to improve your search engine rankings, you can set various objectives you want to achieve with your strategy.
Some common SEO goals include:
- Targeting informative keywords to answer user questions
- Focusing on improving the user experience on your website
- Targeting transactional keywords to attract users who are ready to purchase
Top tip: Your SEO goals should align with your business goals. For example, if you want to increase sales, targeting transactional keywords and creating custom content for those keywords would benefit you.
2. Audit your website
Before you dive into optimizing your site, conducting an SEO audit is an excellent idea. An SEO audit evaluates numerous factors that impact your site’s ability to rank in the search results.
When auditing your website for SEO performance, you should look at:
By conducting an SEO audit, you can identify which areas of your website you need to optimize to improve your visibility in search engines.
For example, if you aren’t currently inserting keywords throughout your content, you’ll want to focus on researching keywords and ensuring you use them throughout your site. Using keywords will help users discover your business when they search for those phrases.
Top tip: Get your free SEO audit with SEO Checker! SEO Checker is a free tool that will evaluate your site’s current SEO performance and provide tips for optimizations you can make to your site to improve your rankings!
Looking for an all-in-one SEO audit tool? You've found it.
SEO Checker provides data on key metrics to give you:
- Complete SEO score
- Content Grade
- Site Speed Analysis
- and more.
3. Conduct keyword research
Keywords are the terms and phrases your target audience searches for online.
You need to include these essential keywords throughout your website to ensure your target audience finds your business when searching for your products or services.
And to discover which phrases your audience searches for, you must conduct keyword research.
Think about which words and phrases your audience might search online. You’ll want to brainstorm informational and transactional keywords. Let’s dive into each one in a bit more detail:
- Informational keywords: These are the phrases your audience searches to find answers to their questions or solutions to their problems. For example, if you sell car cleaning products, your audience might search for phrases like “how to clean your windshield” or “how to wax your car.”
- Transactional keywords: These are the phrases your audience searches when they are ready to make a purchase. For example, if you sell women’s clothing, your audience might search for phrases like “buy summer dresses” or “places that sell denim shorts.”
Top tip: Simplify for keyword research process with KeywordsFX. Simply enter a word or phrase and let KeywordsFX generate tons of high-value related keywords that your audience searches online!
4. Optimize on-page elements
You must optimize on-page elements to improve your site’s rankings in the search results. On-page SEO refers to optimizations that occur on your website.
Elements of on-page SEO include:
- Title tags
- Header tags
- Meta descriptions
- Internal links
- Page load speed
Top tip: Ensure that your titles, headers, and meta descriptions include keywords to help users and search engines understand the context of your page. You’ll also want to implement responsive design to ensure your website displays correctly for mobile users.
5. Optimize off-page elements
While optimizing the pages on your website is essential, it’s equally as important to optimize off-page elements of your site. Off-page SEO refers to optimizations that don’t occur on your site but still help you improve your rankings.
These optimizations include having reputable sites link back to your website or having people share your content on social media.
Off-page SEO elements include:
Top tip: Share your custom content on social media to encourage other users to share and link to your site. Additionally, you can reach out to publishers or bloggers to promote your content to improve your awareness and earn links.
6. Create high-quality content
The next step in how to manage your SEO campaign is to create high-quality content.
You’ve probably heard the phrase “content is king.” That’s because your content profoundly impacts your rankings when it comes to SEO.
As a result, you need to create high-quality content for your audience.
When creating content for your SEO campaign, ensure that you:
- Insert keywords in your titles, headers, and body copy
- Answer your audience’s questions
- Make your content easy to skim
- Break up large blocks of text with images or videos
- Add internal links to your page
Consider what information your audience is looking for and ensure you provide the answers they need in your content.
When you create valuable content that answers readers’ questions, users will stay engaged on your site, which sends positive signals to Google that your content is helpful for readers.
Top tip: Is your SEO content easy to read and understand for users? If not, Google might receive signals that your content doesn’t provide value for readers, lowering your rankings. Test your content’s readability now with our free Readability Test Tool!
7. Track your results
Last on our list of SEO campaign management best practices is to track your results. You must measure your campaign’s success to improve your future results.
You’ll want to track the following SEO metrics from your campaign:
By tracking these metrics, you can analyze which techniques drove the most traffic and conversions for your business. As a result, you can make data-backed optimizations moving forward with your campaign to drive more revenue for your business.
Top tip: Looking for the best SEO campaign management software of 2024? MarketingCloudFX comes equipped with SEO reporting and analytics features that help you track your SEO performance down to every detail, from your keyword rankings, organic traffic, and much more.
Meet WebFX — Your SEO campaign management solution
Need help managing your SEO campaign? WebFX can help!
As a Google Premier Partner, you can rest easy knowing that our team has the expertise to help you outrank your competitors in the SERPs so you can earn more traffic.
Ready to partner with the agency behind over $3 billion in revenue?
Earn a 20% greater ROI with WebFX
- What is SEO Campaign Management?
- What Does SEO Campaign Management Involve?
- How to Manage Your SEO Campaign: 7 Best Practices for Success
- 1. Set Clear Goals for Your SEO Strategy
- 2. Audit Your Website
- 3. Conduct Keyword Research
- 4. Optimize On-page Elements
- 5. Optimize Off-page Elements
- 6. Create High-quality Content
- 7. Track Your Results
- Meet WebFX — Your SEO Campaign Management Solution
- SEO Basics: SEO for B2C Companies
- SEO Basics: Why Content Matters
- SEO Basics: Why Your Site Needs Links
- SEO Basics: Why Your Site Needs Maintenance
- SEO Checklist: 11 SEO Tips to Boost Organic Traffic You Definitely Want to Know
- SEO Crash Course: How to Do SEO Like a Seasoned Professional
- SEO During a Recession: Why It Matters to Your Business
- SEO for a New Website
- SEO for Business Growth: 8 Ways SEO Leads to Growth
- SEO Principles: 7 SEO Fundamentals to Help Your Campaign Succeed