Showing signs of resilience, the industrial sector delivered a record $64 billion in transaction volume through the first half of 2022. It’s no surprise that 85% of industrial marketers surveyed said that they have a defined marketing strategy this year. Is your marketing team keeping up with the latest industrial marketing and sales trends?
Digital marketing can help businesses in the industrial sector stay competitive in 2023 and in the years to come. Keep reading to learn more about the industrial marketing statistics in 2023, including:
- General industrial marketing statistics
- General industrial digital marketing statistics
- Industrial website and search engine optimization (SEO) statistics
- Industrial social media marketing statistics
- Industrial content marketing statistics
- Industrial email marketing statistics
- Industrial lead nurturing statistics
To stay ahead of your competitors, you have to keep up with the latest in digital marketing and industrial marketing. Subscribe to Revenue Weekly and be one of the 200,000 marketers who receive their dose of marketing advice in their inbox for free!
General industrial marketing statistics
Industrial marketers have shown adaptability and risen to the challenges of a pandemic. In 2019, trade shows were the preferred lead generation activity among industrial marketers. A year later, they had to pivot their strategy to adopt digital marketing strategies.
Check out these general industrial marketing statistics in 2023:
- Hosting virtual events was the most popular replacement for trade shows during the pandemic among industrial marketers (60% of those surveyed).
- 85% of industrial marketers said they have a defined marketing strategy in 2022.
- 68% of industrial shoppers vet fewer than five suppliers.
- 53% of industrial shoppers select suppliers in less than a month.
- 49% of industrial marketers reported receiving higher sales because of the pandemic.
- 33% of industrial shoppers pick suppliers in one to three months.
- 28% of industrial shoppers consider five to 10 suppliers.
- 4% of industrial shoppers screen more than 10 suppliers.
- 1-3% of revenue is what industrial manufacturing companies spend on marketing.
General industrial digital marketing statistics
Digital marketing has helped industrial marketers reach new customers and generate sales-qualified leads.
Here are some industrial digital marketing statistics that show this trend:
- 98% of manufacturers are generating sales-qualified leads through digital marketing.
- 84% of industrial manufacturers are increasing their digital marketing budget in 2022.
- 84% of industrial marketers surveyed deemed websites as an extremely important marketing channel to attract new customers.
- 70% of industrial marketers surveyed said that their companies have produced virtual events, webinars, and online courses in 2022.
- 48% of industrial companies don’t have specific goals for their company’s digital lead generation strategy.
- 35% of industrial marketers are not using a CRM system.
- 33% of industrial marketers feel that lack of budget is their biggest hurdle to improving their company’s digital strategies.
- 7% is the average customer conversions of manufacturers online.
Industrial website and SEO statistics
The start of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2022 increased the usage of industrial and manufacturer websites. As a result, more industrial marketers are sharpening their SEO strategies and monitoring their websites’ performance.
Check out these industrial marketing statistics in 2022 related to website and SEO:
- 98% of industrial manufacturers have dedicated landing pages on their websites to convert visitors into leads.
- 79% of industrial marketers have an SEO strategy.
- 72% of industrial marketers use Google Analytics to track their website’s analytics.
- 68% of industrial marketers actively build inbound links as part of their SEO strategy.
- 61% of industrial manufacturing marketers track their website visitors from source to sale.
- 61% of surveyed industrial marketers audit their websites monthly or more frequently.
- The quality of an industrial company’s website impacts the decision of 40% of industrial buyers.
- The majority (52%) of industrial marketers are planning to increase their SEO efforts in 2022.
- 39% of industrial marketers don’t know their website’s conversion rates.
- 38% of industrial manufacturing marketers are unsure of the number of site visitors converting into leads or customers.
- 12% was the growth of industrial and manufacturer website usage since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The best industrial sites convert 3% of their traffic using request for a quote and contact forms.
Industrial social media marketing statistics
Industrial marketers use organic and paid social media strategies.
In addition, they are planning to increase their social media efforts in the future. Here are some industrial marketing statistics that are related to social media:
- LinkedIn, Facebook, and YouTube are the top social media platforms of choice among industrial marketers.
- 93% of industrial manufacturing marketers used LinkedIn as an organic social media platform. They also claim LinkedIn produced the best results.
- 82% of industrial manufacturers are on LinkedIn.
- Among industrial marketer-respondents who used paid content distribution channels, 77% used social media advertising and promoted posts.
- Among the industrial marketer-respondents who used paid social media platforms, the majority chose Facebook (76%) and LinkedIn (62%). The respondents said LinkedIn produced the best results.
- 51% of industrial marketers are planning to increase their social media efforts in 2022.
Industrial content marketing statistics
Many industrial marketers use content marketing to create brand awareness, educate their audience, and build credibility. They published gated content offers to gather their prospects’ email addresses.
Check out these industrial marketing statistics that show content marketing is an important strategy among industrial companies:
- According to content marketers surveyed, the top three challenges are creating valuable content instead of sales-oriented content (51%), overcoming traditional marketing and sales mindset (51%), and accessing subject matter experts to create content (50%).
- The top technologies industrial manufacturing organizations use to assist with content marketing are social media publishing and analytics (85%), analytics tools (78%), and email marketing software (75%).
- Videos were the top content type produced by industrial marketers.
- The top video formats that produced the best results in the past year are how-to videos (53%), webinars, webcasts, or webseries (35%), and interviews with industry experts (30%).
- About one in four industrial marketers rarely or never craft content for specific stages of the buyer’s journey.
- 96% of industrial manufacturers will publish videos on their websites in 2022. For 3% of them, it will be their first ever.
- 93% of industrial marketer-respondents use video on their website in 2022.
- 88% of industrial manufacturing marketers claimed that they used content marketing to create brand awareness in the past year.
- 87% of industrial manufacturers blog every month, and many of them post once a week.
- 86% of industrial marketers surveyed employed videos for content marketing in the past year.
- 83% of industrial marketer-respondents used short articles for content marketing in the past year.
- 75% of industrial marketers said that their organization measures their content marketing efforts’ performance. Among them, 26% said that they’re doing an excellent job.
- 73% of surveyed industrial marketers employ video in the sales process.
- 70% of industrial marketers surveyed conducted virtual events, webinars, or content courses in the past year.
- 70% of industrial marketers have three or more gated content offers on their websites.
- 67% of industrial marketers employed content marketing to build credibility or trust.
- 66% of industrial marketers reported that their organization has a content marketing strategy.
- 63% of industrial marketers educated their audience using content marketing.
- 60% of industrial marketers who have a content marketing strategy said that their approach is moderately or slightly different compared to its pre-pandemic strategy.
- 53% of industrial marketers plan to have six or more gated content offers on their websites.
- The majority of industrial marketers surveyed (52%) said that videos produced the best results for their content marketing in the past year.
- 49% of surveyed industrial marketers produce a minimum of six to 10 videos per year.
- 47% of industrial marketers post three or more blog posts per month.
- 25% of industrial marketers said their organization was extremely or very successful with content marketing in the last 12 months. The top contributing factor was the value their content provides.
- 16% of industrial marketers said that their organization doesn’t measure their content marketing efforts’ performance.
- 14% of industrial manufacturers don’t have gated content offers, and half of them plan to have one in 2022.
Industrial email marketing statistics
One of the most important marketing tactics for industrial marketers is email marketing. Email was the third most popular replacement for trade shows during the pandemic among industrial marketers (57% of respondents).
Check out these industrial marketing statistics related to email marketing:
- 73% of industrial marketer-respondents said email is an extremely important marketing channel to attract new customers.
- 73% of industrial marketers segment email marketing lists to send different marketing messages to different persona segments.
- 61% of industrial marketers send out at least three newsletters per month.
- 55% of manufacturers don’t have an email click-through rate (CTR) they can use as a reference.
- 42% of industrial marketers don’t know their email open rates.
- Over 26.8% is the average email open rate that industrial marketers are observing.
- 18% of industrial marketers say that their company’s best-performing marketing strategy is email marketing.
- 9% is the average email CTR that industrial marketers are seeing in 2022.
Industrial lead nurturing statistics
Among industrial marketers, nurturing leads is a crucial part of their overall marketing strategy because sales cycles are longer. Here are some industrial marketing statistics related to lead nurturing:
- 47% of industrial manufacturing marketers have less than three lead nurturing campaigns set up.
- 76% of industrial marketers are running lead nurturing campaigns.
- 11% of industrial marketers started their first-ever lead nurturing campaigns after 2020.
WebFX knows manufacturing.
“Working with WebFX, everything is very organized and strategic. We’re only a year into our partnership, and our expectations have definitely been met.”
— C.H. Reed, Industrial Solutions and Services
Implement your digital marketing strategy for industrial companies with WebFX
Inspired to get started with your revenue-driving digital marketing strategy for industrial manufacturing with these statistics? Considering teaming up with WebFX.
We’re a full-service digital marketing agency that has generated more than 7.8 million leads and $3 billion in revenue for our clients. We’ll be glad to deliver results for your industrial business, too.
- 14 Revenue-Driving Marketing Ideas for Industrial Companies
- 4 Online Marketing Strategies for Industrial Companies
- 5 Critical Web Design Pages for Industrial Companies
- 5 Industrial Marketing Examples for Inspiration in 2023
- 5 of the Most Important SEO Elements for Industrial Companies
- 6 Effective Marketing Channels for Industrial Companies
- 7 Reasons Why You Need Ecommerce for Industrial Products
- CRM for Industrial Companies￼
- Grow Your Business With the Support of a Top Industrial Marketing Company
- Industrial Marketing Pricing: How Much Does Industrial Marketing Cost?
- Is GlobalSpec’s Engineering360 Worth It?
- PPC for Industrial Companies: A Guide
- Social Media for Industrial Companies: 4 Tips for a Higher Social Media ROI
- The Best Industrial Marketing Services in the Business
- What Is Industrial Advertising and Why Invest in Industrial Digital Advertising?