With more people using the Internet to find the right business for their needs, having a marketing strategy is no longer a luxury but a necessity. Investing in business-to-government (B2G) marketing strategies will help you reach qualified government officials and earn more contracts for your company.
On this page, we’ll share eight B2G marketing strategies that can help you grow online, including:
- Search engine optimization (SEO)
- Pay-per-click (PPC) advertising
- Content marketing
- Social media marketing
- Social media advertising
- Email marketing
- Local marketing
If you need help building a custom B2G marketing plan for your business, WebFX can help. With over two decades of experience, you can feel confident we’ll help you build a strategy that earns you more government contracts.
These are real SEO results driven for a WebFX client.
You’re next.Learn More About SEO Services
increase in organic revenue
increase in organic transactions
increase in organic traffic
increase in sessions from SEO
1. Use search engine optimization (SEO) to rank in relevant searches
With 93% of all online experiences beginning with a search engine, you must build your presence in search.
When government employees look for contractors, they search through search engines like Google to help them find the right company. These users search using keywords to help them find relevant listings.
To help you appear in relevant search results, start by optimizing your pages for keywords. You’ll want to conduct keyword research using a tool like KeywordsFX. Focus on long-tail keywords, which contain three or more words, as they’ll drive the most relevant traffic.
Once you identify your keywords, you’ll integrate them into your pages.
Aside from keyword integration, you’ll also want to follow best practices like:
- Improving your site load time to deliver information fast
- Integrating responsive design to rank in Google’s mobile-first index
- Optimizing your title tag and meta description to entice leads to click on your listing
2. Run pay-per-click (PPC) ads to attract qualified leads
Next on our list of marketing strategies for government contractors is pay-per-click (PPC) advertising. PPC is another excellent strategy for helping your B2G business appear in search results. These ads appear at the top of search results, tagged with the word “ad.”
PPC ads are an excellent way for you to reach qualified leads and drive them to your business’s page. Since your listing appears at the top of search results, government officials are more likely to see it and click on it.
Even if these prospects don’t click on your ad, it’s a great way to increase brand exposure and help people get familiar with your company.
If you want to use PPC as one of your B2G marketing strategies, follow these best practices:
- Bid on relevant long-tail keywords to put your ads in front of interested leads
- Create a custom landing page to keep your audience focused
- Use negative keywords to prevent your ads from appearing in irrelevant search results
3. Create content to establish your business as an expert in your field
One of the best B2G marketing strategies for driving qualified traffic is content marketing. Creating content involves sharing your knowledge through mediums like blog posts, videos, and infographics.
People consistently search the web looking for content that answers their questions or helps educate them on topics of interest. When you create content, you show you’re an expert in your field. It helps build trust with prospects, as they feel confident you know your industry well.
To do content marketing effectively, here are some best practices:
- Publish content frequently to drive traffic to your website continually
- Use a content marketing calendar to plan when you’ll create, edit, and publish content
- Write for humans first to create a better user experience with your content
4. Build a presence on social media to help leads get to know your brand
When you invest in marketing strategies for government contractors, make sure social media marketing is on your list. Social media marketing involves building a presence on social media platforms. On these platforms, you can engage and interact with prospects to build relationships.
You can build a presence on multiple platforms, including:
Social media marketing enables you to share content, have conversations, and build a community. You can foster these relationships and turn them into contracts for your business.
If you want to get the most from your social media marketing, follow these best practices:
- Use your logo as your profile photo across platforms to make it easy to identify your business
- Post social media content often to continually engage prospects
- Use a social media scheduling tool to save time posting daily
5. Use social media ads to reach prospects that haven’t discovered your business yet
In addition to social media marketing, you’ll also want to consider running social media ads. Social media advertising is one of the best marketing strategies for government contractors looking to reach interested prospects.
When you run social media ads, you target specific leads interested in your products or services. These ads appear in the users’ newsfeed, helping expose your brand and business to new prospects.
You can run social media ads on numerous social media platforms. Each platform offers different ad format types, from photo ads to carousel ads, that you can try to boost engagement.
If you want to make social media advertising an effective strategy for your B2G business, follow these best practices:
- Use high-quality visuals to catch your audience’s attention
- Set a daily budget to ensure you don’t max out your budget on the first day
- Set goals for your ads to guide your advertising campaign
6. Send emails to nurture prospects towards conversion
With email marketing, you send emails directly to interested prospects’ inboxes to get them to engage with your business. Email marketing is a significant lead nurturing strategy, as it allows you to send tailored information that nudges leads closer to conversion.
Once you have an email list, you can follow these best practices to use email marketing as one of the most effective B2G marketing strategies:
- Segment your subscribers to send them tailored information
- Use personalization to appeal to decision-makers
- Use an email marketing tool, like EmailMarketingFX, to help manage creating, sending, and monitoring emails
7. Build a local presence to attract local government officials
The last strategy we’ll cover on this list of B2G marketing strategies is local marketing. This strategy is critical if you’re trying to obtain local government contracts. Building a local presence online enables government officials to find you when they’re searching for a contractor.
Local marketing involves multiple facets of building your local presence, including:
- Integrating local keywords into your website, like “Los Angeles waste management company”
- Claiming your Google Business Profile listing
- Manage local reviews
Building a local presence is excellent for helping government officials get to know your business and see you’re a viable option within the community.
To get the most from your local marketing, follow these best practices:
- Optimize your Googl Business Profile listing with details and photos
- Respond to negative and positive reviews on your profile
- Use a tool like LocalFX to help manage your local listing across platforms
Time to Level Up Your Sales
Our long list of services helps you grow every aspect of your business with marketing strategies that are proven to increase bottom-line metrics like revenue and conversions.
In the past 5 years, we’ve managed more than 12.9 MILLION transactions across our client base.
Need help picking the right B2G marketing strategies for your business?
After looking at this list of the top marketing strategies for B2G businesses, you may feel overwhelmed trying to find the right strategies for your business. With over 25 years of experience, our team at WebFX can help you create a marketing plan that’s right for your B2G business.
We know how to create custom plans that deliver results. We’ve driven over $3 billion in revenue and over 7.8 million leads in the past five years. Our client-first approach enables us to help our clients thrive online.
- 1. Use Search Engine Optimization (SEO) to Rank in Relevant Searches
- 2. Run Pay-per-click (PPC) Ads to Attract Qualified Leads
- 3. Create Content to Establish Your Business As an Expert in Your Field
- 4. Build a Presence on Social Media to Help Leads Get to Know Your Brand
- 5. Use Social Media Ads to Reach Prospects That Haven’t Discovered Your Business Yet
- 6. Send Emails to Nurture Prospects Towards Conversion
- 7. Build a Local Presence to Attract Local Government Officials
- Need Help Picking the Right B2G Marketing Strategies for Your Business?
- How to Generate Leads Outside of Government Contracts
- Lead Generation for B2G Companies: How to Earn More Leads
- Marketing for Government Contractors: Top 4 Strategies
- PPC for B2G Companies: 6 Tips to Advertise Your Business
- SEO for B2G Companies: 4 Tips for Making a B2G SEO Strategy
- Social Media for B2G Companies: 4 Tips for Success
- Web Design for B2G Companies: Build a Revenue-Driving Site