Resource Library for Digital Advertising
Advertising online, whether through search, social media, or another medium, can help your business build brand awareness, attract leads, and capture sales.
If you’re looking to learn more about digital advertising so you can capture more online revenue, check out this resource library!
What is Ad Tech?Glossary
What Is Ad Tech? Definition, Types, and Platforms Advertising technology can help you streamline your advertising processes and manage your ads with ease, helping you to implement sales-boosting ad campaigns. But, what is ad tech, exactly? Keep reading to find […]
Digital Advertising PackagesServices
Digital Advertising Packages: Custom Ad Packages from WebFX When you look into digital advertising packages, you want to get a comprehensive package that offers everything you need to promote your business successfully. At WebFX, we provide digital ad packages that […]
Connected TV Advertising AgencyAgency
The Top Connected TV Advertising Agency That Boosts Sales Connected TV, or CTV, advertising is an excellent marketing strategy to reach more of your ideal customers and increase sales for your business. And by partnering with a top connected TV […]
Connected TV Advertising PricingPricing
Connected TV Advertising Pricing: How Much Do CTV Ads Cost? Connected TV, or CTV, ads enable you to expand your reach and capture your audience’s attention on their favorite streaming platforms. But before you invest in CTV ads, you’ll want […]
What Is OTT Advertising? Beginner's Guide to Over-The-Top Ads OTT advertising, also known as over-the-top advertising, is the perfect alternative to traditional cable TV advertising. From creating highly-targeted ads that reach your ideal customers to tracking essential metrics to measure […]
How Does CTV Advertising Work? the Ultimate Beginner’s GuideLearn
How Does CTV Advertising Work? The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide Connected TV, or CTV, advertising is an excellent way to build your brand awareness and promote your products and services to more members of your target audience to maximize your sales […]
Programmatic Advertising Glossary: 55+ Terms & DefinitionsGlossary
Programmatic Advertising Glossary: 55+ Terms & Definitions Programmatic advertising automates ad campaign management and sales so you can save time and resources. With this ultimate programmatic advertising glossary, you can learn the definitions of essential programmatic advertising terms and phrases […]
Connected TV AdvertisingLearn
Connected TV Advertising: Everything You Need to Know in 7 Minutes Connected TV advertising, also called CTV advertising, is the act of promoting a business via ads that appear on video streaming devices, like Roku or Apple TV. Keep reading […]
Chapter 4: How to Leverage First-Party DataFirst-party-data
How to Use First-Party Data to Drive More Revenue From Digital Marketing Chapter 4 in our Data-Driven Marketing Guide Collect the data Using a CDP Analyze audience behavior Evaluate customer trends Optimize your strategies Introduction First-Party Data vs. Third-Party Data […]
Chapter 3: How to Collect First-Party Data
How to Collect First-Party Data Chapter 3 in our Data-Driven Marketing Guide Implement lead generation forms Use data tracking tools Promote your brand on multiple channels Introduction First-Party Data vs. Third-Party Data Google’s Third-Party Cookie Phase Out How to Collect […]
What is digital advertising?
Digital advertising refers to placing ads through online and digital channels such as websites, apps, streaming content, and more.
While both digital and traditional advertising have the same end goal, the methods they use to achieve this goal are quite different.
Unlike the broad, catch-all approach that is the staple of traditional marketing, digital marketing uses data to identify how, where, and why customers purchase products and services. Digital marketers use this data to create specific, targeted online campaigns that they can adjust at any point. These capabilities help digital marketers to maximize efficiency and return on ad spend (ROAS).
How digital advertising works
When someone wants to advertise their company on a billboard on the side of the highway, they typically pay upfront for the right to advertise for a specific amount of time. This is generally how advertising is thought to work.
However, digital advertising typically only charges the advertiser when a user completes an action regarding their ad. A metric called cost per click (CPC) is often used to analyze how much your company spends relative to how many clicks you get from a specific ad.
By using methods such as targeting keywords and showing ads to users who have previously visited your website, you can effectively advertise online.
Why use digital advertising?
Digital advertising meets consumers where they are. The online space has grown exponentially, and with users turning to the Internet for so many of their questions and needs, getting the word out online about your business is not just an advantage but a requirement.
Some of the most valuable benefits of online advertising are its affordability and specificity. If you’re a small to medium-sized business, you don’t have to set up multi-million dollar nationwide campaigns to reach your customers. You can create your own budget and adjust it in an instant. The fact that you can better target your ads to your ideal audience also reduces costs.
Advertising digitally can provide not only faster results but also results catered to you and at a manageable price point.
Learn more about the basics of digital advertising
Digital advertising basics resources
- What Is Digital Advertising? (Your Digital Ad Handbook)
- What Is Online Advertising? Your Introduction to Online Ads
- What Is Ecommerce Digital Advertising and How Does It Work?
- What Is B2C Digital Advertising? The 7-Minute Starter Guide
- What Is B2B Digital Advertising?
- What Is an SEM Campaign? (Plus 7 Tips for Launching Yours)
Digital advertising technology resources
- Your Introduction to Digital Advertising Technology
- How to Leverage First-Party Data to Drive Marketing Results
- What Is Ad Tech? Definition, Types, and Platforms
- Programmatic Advertising Glossary: 55+ Terms & Definitions
- Programmatic Advertising 101: Definition, How It Works, Tips
- 9 Programmatic Advertising Examples You Gotta See
Digital advertising tips and strategies
Types of digital advertising
There are various digital advertising types, each with its unique advantages. Learn about a few of the most common types here:
- Search: Odds are that when you have a question, you go straight to a search engine like Google or Bing to find the answer. With paid search ads, you can attract users looking for what you offer. By targeting keywords that users are searching for, you can appear at the top of search results.
- Display: Display ads are visual ads that appear on websites across the Internet. These ads typically include images or video, text, and a link to your website. Some of these ads are static images, while others are animated, contain video, or include interactive features. A common format for display ads is the banner ad.
- Video: Video ads that appear on sites like YouTube and social media sites are another excellent way to reach potential customers with digital advertising. YouTube is far and away the king of video advertising, and by setting up a display campaign with Google, you can get your media in front of qualified consumers on the platform.
- Social media: Platforms such as Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook offer an opportunity to put your business in front of millions of users. While text ads are one of the options used on social media, video and photo ads more easily stand out to the user.
- Influencer: Working with an influencer to promote your business can be a great way to establish rapport with your target audience since the influencer already has the trust and attention of a large number of people. Influencers may promote your brand through social media, their website, or other channels.
Learn more about the types of digital advertising
Paid search advertising resources
Display advertising resources
- What Is Display Advertising? (And How to Use It)
- Responsive Display Ads: Your Starter Guide
- Do Banner Ads Work?
- Display Ad Sizes: 7 Best Practices for Creating the Best Display Ads
- 3 Google Display Ad Examples to Help Shape Your Ad Campaigns
- Is Display Advertising Effective?
- 5 Must-Read Tips for Optimizing Display Ads
- Need to Improve Your ROAS? Use These 7 Best Practices for Display Ad Design
Video advertising resources
- Video Ad Campaigns: 6 Successful Marketing Video Examples
- 3 Undeniable Video Advertising Trends
- 4 Video Marketing Examples for Small and Midsize Businesses
- How to Generate More Leads With Facebook Autoplay Video Ads
- 6 Benefits of YouTube Advertising
- A Thorough Beginner’s Guide to Facebook Video Advertising
- What Is TrueView? (And Why Are TrueView Ads So Important?)
Social media advertising resources
- What Is Social Media Advertising?
- Which Social Media Networks Should I Advertise On?
- 11 Social Media Ad Best Practices to Drive More Leads
- Social Media Ad Examples: A Guide to Social Media Ad Formats
- Social Media Ads Design: The Difference Between a Sale & a Flopped Ad
- Social Media Advertising Statistics: 7 Social Stats You Need to Know
Influencer marketing resources
Other types of digital advertising
- What Is OTT Advertising? Beginner’s Guide to Over-The-Top Ads
- What Is OTT Advertising? Ultimate Guide to Over-the-Top Ads
- WeChat Advertising: How a WeChat Advertising Strategy Works
- Successful Native Advertising Examples You Can Implement
- Connected TV Advertising: Your 7-Minute Guide to CTV Ads
- How Does CTV Advertising Work? The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide
- Online Local Advertising: Ideas for Advertising Locally
- What is Native Advertising?
- What Is Connected TV Advertising? Everything You Need to Know
- Native Advertising vs. Display Advertising
- Search vs. Display Advertising: What’s the Difference?
- Quora Ads: Your Quick Guide to Advertising on Quora
Digital advertising platforms
You may be ready to start advertising online, but what platforms should you use for optimal engagement for your business? Here is a look at a few of the most popular spaces to run your ads:
- Google Ads: Google Ads is the leader in online advertising and for good reason. The traffic numbers are immense, and by targeting keywords and search terms, advertisers can place their ads directly in front of those looking for them. Google Ads is fairly seamless to set up and can lead to tremendous results.
- Facebook: Social media sites like Facebook are another favorite due to their large user base. Facebook enables you to advertise to groups with niche interests and use visual and video ads, which create greater user engagement.
- Amazon: This is a no-brainer if you are a company that sells products on Amazon, but many people don’t know that you can still use the site for advertising even if you don’t use it to sell. Looking past the Sponsored Products and Categories that Amazon sellers have access to, Amazon still offers video and text ads for other companies, so you can advertise next to products your target audience is buying.
Learn more about digital advertising platforms
Digital advertising platform resources
- Top 18 Paid Advertising Platforms | Best PPC Ad Networks
- The Top 10 Display Ad Networks Online
- 8 Top Programmatic Platforms and How to Choose One
- What Is Google Ads? (And How Does Google Ads Work?)
- What Is the Google Display Network? A Quick Beginner’s Guide
- What Is Facebook Ads Manager? (+3 Useful FB Ads Features)
- The Complete Guide to Amazon Advertising Platform (AAP)
- 4 Best OTT Platforms to Reach Your Audience
Digital advertising targeting strategies
With ad targeting, you can ensure your ads reach your ideal audience. Here are some of the ad targeting strategies you can use to maximize your campaigns’ effectiveness:
- Keywords: Targeting keywords places your ad in front of users who are searching terms related to your content. For example, if you operated an auto service and repair shop, you might target a phrase like “oil change and tire rotation.”
- Interests: You can also target users based on things they have searched for or interacted with in the past. If you run a sporting goods store, for example, you could target users who previously looked into buying baseball equipment.
- Demographics: Targeting users by demographic characteristics is another practical way to put yourself in front of the population segment you want to reach. There are many demographic characteristics you can target. Examples include age, job type, and marital status.
- Remarketing: Remarketing targets users who have previously shown interest in your products or services. For example, if a user views a product on your website but doesn’t make a purchase, you could target them with remarketing.
- Geofencing: Geofencing targets users in a specific geographic area, such as an area around your business, a competitor’s location, or a special event. Users who enter the area you defined can receive targeted ads on their mobile devices.
Learn more about digital advertising targeting strategies
General digital advertising targeting resources
- Audience Targeting: Definition, Benefits, & Tips | Guide
- 9 Facebook Ad Targeting Options That Will Revolutionize Your Ads
- 6 YouTube Ad Targeting Options Every Company Should Use
- Amazon Ad Targeting & Product Targeting: Your Secret to More Sales
- 8 Audiences to Target with Google Ads
- How to Set Up Location Targeting in Google Ads
- What Is Behavioral Retargeting and How Can You Use It?
- Your 8-Part Guide to PPC Keyword Research
- Facebook Interest Targeting: 4 Tips for Targeting Interests
- What is Retargeting and How Does it Work?
- What is Remarketing? (+6 Tips for Becoming a Remarketing Master)
- How Does Remarketing Work? Sit Down, Have a Cookie
- Top 8 Best Practices for Retargeting Ads
- 6 Types of Remarketing You Should Use in Your Ad Campaigns
- 9 Remarketing Examples You’ll Want to Steal
- Geofencing Definition: What Is It, and How Can It Help Your Business?
- What Is Competitor Geofencing Advertising?
- How Does Geofencing Technology Work?
- Geofencing Marketing: The New Way to Market Your Business
- 5 Examples of Geofencing Done Right
- 6 Geofencing Best Practices | Geofencing Marketing Strategy
- Top Geofencing FAQs Answered
Working with a digital advertising agency
With so many elements and moving parts, starting a digital advertising campaign can be time-consuming and overwhelming. Luckily, you can rely on a digital advertising agency to do the heavy lifting, freeing you to focus on all the new leads heading your way!
Digital marketing agencies offer a number of services, like managing search, display, and social media advertising campaigns. Typically for a monthly fee, an agency can create, implement, and track ad campaigns for your business across various channels.
The expertise, technology, and team available to digital advertising agencies allow them to help their clients maximize the results of their online advertising campaigns.
Learn more about working with a digital advertising agency
Digital advertising agency resources
- What Can a Digital Advertising Company Do for You?
- Online Advertising Agencies: How Do You Choose the Right One?
- Digital Advertising Agency | WebFX
- Hiring a Search Marketing Agency: Why It’s a Decision That’s Solid Gold
- Results-Driven Competitor Geofencing Advertising Agency
- The SMB Digital Advertising Agency That Boosts Sales
- Programmatic Advertising Agency | Upgrade Your ROAS | WebFX
- Ecommerce Digital Advertising Agency: Drive More Revenue
- B2C Digital Advertising Agency That Drives Revenue | WebFX
- Top Digital Advertising Firm for SMBs | WebFX
- The Top Connected TV Advertising Agency That Boosts Sales
- Industry-Leading Account-Based Marketing Agency | WebFX
- Top Search Engine Marketing Agency (And What We Do)
Digital advertising services resources
- Digital Advertising Services | 650+ Campaigns Managed | WebFX
- Search Engine Marketing Services | Managed SEM | WebFX
- Digital Advertising Packages | 650+ Campaigns Managed | WebFX
- YouTube Advertising Services | YouTube Marketing Agency
- Mobile Advertising Services for Marketing Your Business
- Reach New Customers With Podcast Advertising Services
- Hassle-Free Programmatic Advertising Services | WebFX
- Competitor Geofencing Advertising Management Services
- B2C Digital Advertising Services That Drive Conversions
- 6 Social Media Sites You Can Use With Video Advertising Services
- Geofencing Solutions: How a Geofencing Plan Benefits Your Company
- Addressable Geofencing Advertising Services | WebFX
- CRM Retargeting Services That Grow Your Business | WebFX
- Banner Ad Design: Get Better Results From Display Ads
- Account-Based Marketing Services | $3+ Billion in Results
- Professional Affiliate Marketing Management Services
- OTT & Connected TV Services | Advertise Your Brand | WebFX
- Close More Sales With B2B AR & VR Solutions
- Customized Online Media Buying Services & Pricing
Digital advertising pricing resources
- Digital Advertising Pricing: The Cost of Digital Ads
- Online Advertising Costs: How Much Does It Cost to Advertise Online?
- B2C Digital Advertising Pricing: How Much Should You Spend?
- Competitor Geofencing Advertising Pricing | How Much Should You Pay?
- Connected TV Advertising Pricing: How Much Do CTV Ads Cost?
- SEM Pricing: How Much Do SEM Services Cost?
- Account-Based Marketing Pricing: What Should Your Business Pay?
Want to learn more about digital advertising?
While the world of advertising is continually evolving, one thing is for certain. Digital marketing is here to stay and continues to see tremendous growth year-over-year.
To keep up with all of the emerging trends and the latest advice related to digital marketing, sign up for our email newsletter. We provide key industry insights and expert tips to take your online presence to the next level!